Skip to content

Could BGEE be responsible for causing another renaissance in decent RPGs?

SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
For those of you that remember the gaming climate when the original released, RPGs of its type were in a bit of a slump, and it's release rejuvenated the whole genre in many ways. The ramifications of which can still be felt to this day. Now whilst the rpg genre as a whole is very healthy nowadays I do remember feeling a little disappointed with Dragon Age when it released.

Whilst i did love Dragon Age I do feel it failed a bit in its stated role as being a true "spiritual successor" to the Baldur's Gate series. Fewer party members, bieng too easy, an inability to fully zoom out enough, reduced tactical and strategic options and what I felt were compromises made to make it viable on consoles (it was originally a PC exclusive). It left me still feeling hungry for that quintessential Baldur's Gate experience.

What occurs to me is that if this truly works across the tablet market, and becomes the runaway success it deserves to be. Might be we be standing on a threshold of a renaissance for this kind of game? It seems born to run in a tablet environment, and considering how huge the market is, we might not have to be blighted with compromises for the sake of consoles standing in the way for this rich style of rpg?

Comments

• bgplayabgplaya Member Posts: 129
    We can only hope.

Personally, I felt Dragon's Age didn't even come close to being a successor to Baldur's Gate.

Neverwinter Nights was closer to me, but only because of its incredible mod-ability, online play, and community.
  • theacefestheacefes Member Posts: 85
    edited July 2012
    I thought Dragon Age had a very enjoyable story! It was a successor in the sense that it was an epic tale that revolved around one major character with the power to change the world. The crappy parts were the old graphics (2005 graphics are inexcusable for 2009 when I'm still paying 60 dollars), the non-existent but advertised (read: drilled into our skulls) "low fantasy/darkness", and the MS Paint splatter aerosol can art on the characters that passed as blood after the smallish skirmish.
  • jones0901jones0901 Member Posts: 51
    yes! this very well could lead to a new era in rpg gaming.
    tweet about it! like it on facebook. convince people to give it a try. (its only twenty dollars)

if we can prove to the gaming world, (to the big studios like EA) that classic rpgs are a viable source of income and return buisness for them, they will make more for us- all they want it money, they dont care what the game is, (this is ok, because the developers do care)

also, the game makers at the studios we love, these guys, bioware, obsidian, bethesda- i truly belive they want to make these games. Tim Howard, Trent Oster, Chirs Avellone, these guys grew up on D&D and started developing games when BG and Fallout (to a lesser extent) were the big things, like skyrim is now. it could be that way again!(tim cain kickstarted wasteland, check that out too)

Now, to conclude my semi-drunken tirade, we the rpg games, in order to get more awesome rpg goodness, have to make these small games work, not only because they will be awesome and great to play, nor because beamdog has put themselves out there to ressurect something that is not a HALO 7000, solely for the us the gamers, but because the future of these games depsends upon us proving we are a lucrative market. The success of BGEE is paramount to this.

otherwise, (as we have seen) we move from DAO to DAII to something resembling fable to finally shooter games called rpgs where you pick your face and what weapons you use.

fire and brimstone, people
  • norolimnorolim Member Posts: 62
    jones0901 said:

if we can prove to the gaming world, (to the big studios like EA) that classic rpgs are a viable source of income and return buisness for them

Oh no, no, no! Let's not prove anything to EA. They already noticed, that classic RPGs can be a good source of income some 5 years ago...It took them less than 4 to almost completely annihilate the genre. If not for little developers like Spiderweb Software, Basilisk Games all the Kicstarter revivals and now Overhaul, classic RPGs would now be gone. And EA would keep releasing their Mass Effect shooters and Dragon Age platformers yearly and would keep calling them RPGs (for a while, because after some time the name "RPG" would lose any meaning). So no, let's not prove anything to EA apart from that we don't need their games.
  • GridianGridian Member Posts: 50
    Cheese, too bad I cannot give you both an agree and a like. You'll have to live with only the like ;)

I too played Dragon Age Origins with fun, but only for a couple of hours. The fun part kinda quickly faded away and even though I had set away the money I did not buy the successor (and never looked back). The genre of RPG desperately needs games like this from developers like Overhaul: small studios devoted to do something very simple: "A good game."

The monetary side is important as well, but as we see here making "A good game." and not being greedy in the same time is almost bound to create a good revenue. Overhauling Baldur's Gate guarantees success because - let's be honest - most of us waited for something like this for years and years and pre-ordered the day the preorder went live.

Even the biggest studios nowadays started as a small bunch of dedicated, motivated, innovative people - now they are businesspeople. Time for the next generation! :-)
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    We can only hope, indeed. Yet i have a more faith in Divinity:Original Sin and everything that has to come from Larian Studios.
  • SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    It is a shame they have not gotten it to run on an iPhone, as that would dramatically increase sales, but I still have hope this can all come good for us in the long run.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    ''This re-realese.....has....showed you....that there are people....ready to believe in non-Squareenix RPGs.''
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    I doubt that any big publisher is going this direction. Only a handfull of dedicated smaller studios will bring back the old magic games once had. Many consumers are so stupid they eat anything! Just advertise your dull and soulless but GFX wise uptodate game as "cool, totally innovative cuz the bullets now penetrates toilets too" and it will be bought...

Thanks to kickstarter for some very cool games and the ones we might see in the future.

I doubt that any big publisher is going this direction. Only a handfull of dedicated smaller studios will bring back the old magic games once had. Many consumers are so stupid they eat anything! Just advertise your dull and soulless but GFX wise uptodate game as "cool, totally innovative cuz the bullets now penetrates toilets too" and it will be bought...

Thanks to kickstarter for some very cool games and the ones we might see in the future.

Modern FPS sucks!

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Possibly, its an interesting question.
    What will be a major barrier for anything good is the obnoxious amounts of kickstater projects being "set up" as if thats how a successful development studio could possibly work.
    Also, I don't agree that rpg's are in a particualarly good place at the moment. I can't think of many game genres in a worse place. Possibly simulations.

''This re-realese.....has....showed you....that there are people....ready to believe in non-Squareenix RPGs.''

What do you think about my Christian Bale impresison?

@ShapiraKeatsDarkMage you talking with yourself?
  • gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124

So we used a new weapon: space hamsters.

@ShapiraKeatsDarkMage you talking with yourself?

No.

Sorry then, you posted your own quote and asked so i thought... you know;)
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160
    edited July 2012

To be fair, JRPGs in general have waned in popularity for the past 8-10 years, especially with how poorly received FFXII and FFXIII were (at least in comparison to it's predecessors). Sure, they still sell well, but I don't hear much about any JRPGs other than Pokemon or Final Fantasy, and they're quickly forgotten after release.

Bioware, Bethesda, and CDProjekt have pretty much taken over for the past decade.

• meuheymeuhey Member Posts: 4
    wasteland 2 will be a old school game too
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    meuhey said:

wasteland 2 will be a old school game too

and ShadowRun Return
    Isnt Pokemon some strange creature that turns human faces into weird looking things with big eyes and was featured in one south park episodes?

Isnt Pokemon some strange creature that turns human faces into weird looking things with big eyes and was featured in one south park episodes?

Dude, how you don't know the Pokemon games!?

• seekaseeka Member Posts: 53
    I hope so. Without trying to turn this thread into the "What makes an RPG and PRG" debate.... It seems like most of the companies are interested in more of the combat and "Press A for AWESOME!" and making a quick cash grab instead of taking the time to make a game with actual RP aspects. Auto dialogue takes the character out of my control and gives it to the writers of the game... that hardly feels like I'm role playing. And three choices for my character? What if I didn't want to be Happy, Sarcastic, or the Jerk? Not to say that those kinds of games can't be enjoyable and fun in their own right... but for me that strips out some of the RP.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Guys, BG came at the end of the golden era of 2d, isometric, RPG games. Remember fallout 1 and 2? These games were of a certain time and era. I have my doubts that magic can be replicated.
    Remember also Chrono Trigger and FF4-6?
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160

Remember also Chrono Trigger and FF4-6?

I'm still waiting for the English version of the Chrono Trigger Android port. It's blasphemy to some but... I've honestly never played it... XD