Skip to content

So about the Beamdog.net browser update.

SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
edited January 2013 in Multiplayer
Any idea on when this is coming out or the progress on it? Just to my knowledge they haven't released any further information on this.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Two pieces of information that may have been lost in the various information pipelines:

1) It won't be a dedicated server, as some people have speculated; instead, it will be a match-making service to facilitate the hosting and joining of games. In other words, it won't change how multiplayer works, but it will make setting up your games easier on the front-end.

2) The official word is "early this year". I can't reveal more than that, but you shouldn't have to wait too much longer (barring any unforeseen problems).
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    One thing I wonder about the game browser thingy though... How will it react to a modded game? Will it attempt to just throw people with mods and people without in the same game and cause errors?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The short answer is probably.

If two players have the same mod configuration, they'll be able to play without incident, and that's a good thing. Unfortunately, there's no way to detect which mods are installed without also creating some sort of mod structure to sort through them all; so it's probably going to end up being a case where, if you have mods installed and you can't connect to someone or the multiplayer doesn't work, your best bet is to uninstall your mods (or have your friend install the same ones).