Skip to content

New party.

KajsaSKajsaS Member Posts: 10
edited January 2013 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
Hello everyone, first post and all that. :)

I have played through BG1 and 2 multiple times but haven't played in quite a number of years hence the post in the "new player" forum.

I am looking for ideas for my character build and also what party to use, in the past I would just do whatever but actually want to try and plan this part a little better this time around, sadly I'm fairly rusty and could do with some opinions and ideas.

I hope to be able to use this party to run through BG1EE and then BG2EE when it comes out, so I'll be stuck with it for a good long time.

I've been leaning towards being a Fighter/Cleric, as it's the main character it will need a good amount of survivability but other than that, I'm fairly open about what to try, I was also learning towards being a pure Archer, for some reason I just can't decide and until I know for sure what to use, it's hard to decide on a party composition.

As far as a party goes, normally I go with Good/Neutral characters as I find that fits better with the games storyline, Imoen will most likely be my thief and will dual class into a mage (I think L6 is best for that?) other than that I'm fairly open with who to take along, I'd really like to take Neera as well, mainly because I've never played much of Enhanced Edition, just an hour or so to mess around and get my bearings with the game again.

In other words, this post is a long winded way of saying "I can't think today, I have the dumb, please help me think!"

Any help, opinions and such would be appreciated.

xx
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Keep in mind that this is the No Spoilers forum, so players who are actually new will click on your topic in search of advice. I had to remove a word from your post that would have spoiled the entire game for them. If you're okay with spoilers, please put a warning in your title so the new players won't come in.

Okay, carry on. :)
  • KajsaSKajsaS Member Posts: 10
    Oh, sorry about that, I did try to avoid spoilers but guess I somehow missed that, guess it was so big and simple I just didn't think about it.

That's what happens when you write a post at 5am after little to no sleep!
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    I believe the game could probably be completed using any character combinations available, so I suggest; Make a character you like and add up with npc's you never used before. I usually end up with Branwen, Imoen, Minsc and Dynaheir no matter what I play, but I guarantee you will have a different experience with different npc's. It can also be said that I'm not a power gamer, it is usually more fun to get creative with "lousy" npc's.

If you are new to the game, I would recommend at least 1 thief and 1 healer then go explore the npc's of the swordcoast.
  • OgaburanOgaburan Member Posts: 83
    Why not try an amazon party? As in an all women party.

Game makes a funny if you have an all girl-powered party at the end, and Shar-Teel is in.
    You still need a man to recruit her...

My recommendation;
    1. NPC
    2. Safana (as your thief)
    3. Viconia (Cleric)
    4. Neera (Funny-Mage)
    5. Shar-Teel (Fighter)
    6. Branwen (Another Cleric)

This is a none-imoen-in-party, with a Neutral-Evil-Bloodthirsty approach to the game.
    It isn't even a really powerful combo, so definitely not a "power-build".

If you want a very-different approach to the game (judging by your post), that is also somewhat challenging i recommend this setup.

GIRL POWER!
    I've been playing a fair bit today, most of my party are female, except poor Ajantis. I didn't put much thought into it all, just picked up whoever I felt at the time.

There's me, Imoen, Viconia, Neera, Branwen and Ajantis.

Ended up making myself an Archer, they seem fairly decent, I may use this as a trial run though and then think of what to do for my bigger run through BG1 and 2 after.

Thinking about it, Ajantis just doesn't really fit, being all pure and whatever. Time to think of another tank, already getting tired of him whining at Viconia.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    If you already manage rep for Viconia, you can grab Kagain. Nothing beats 20 con for a tank, and you can get him an Axe +1 early on in Beregost.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited January 2013
    Kagain and Shar-Teel are both okay in their own ways, but Viconia I find is the tank now. -10 AC is something you don't want to spit at. :p
    Post edited by GemHound on
    GemHound said:

Kagain and Shar-Teel are both okay in their own ways, but Viconia I find is the tank now. -10 AC is something you don't want to spit at. :p

How would I go about getting Vikki's AC so good? It's been so long since I last played I don't really know the items any more, not to mention the items added in EE (If there are any?)

If you already manage rep for Viconia, you can grab Kagain. Nothing beats 20 con for a tank, and you can get him an Axe +1 early on in Beregost.

I was thinking about Kagain, never did like him though, I suppose with Viconia and Branwen up front and can also heal each other, I'll have Neera and Imoen casting spells and little ole me with a bow, I may go with Dorn for good solid melee DPS, or Garrick for another ranged character + bard buffs. I thought about Edwin but in this run I'd like Neera to be the main mage with Imoen my second, a third would be a bit over the top.

Dorn would give some useful extra survivability as well, seriously leaning towards him, but still not totally sure, hell, I may go so far as to start again and make my character a tank.

Sigh, decisions decisions and being blonde doesn't help.

• MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    edited January 2013
    KajsaS said:

GemHound said:

How would I go about getting Vikki's AC so good? It's been so long since I last played I don't really know the items any more, not to mention the items added in EE (If there are any?)

She has a 19 Dex, so that's pretty major to start with. You then give her the lightest, stout plate you can find (Ankheg or the Plate from Durlag's Tower), a shield, and she's an absolute brick wall. So that would be AC1 (Ankheg), AC-3 (Ank+Dex), AC-5 (Shield+1), AC -6 or -7 (Ring of Protection with Ankheg), she has spells that can boost that further, etc...

BG:EE added many new magical items, the *Spoiler* link is:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8110/a-guide-to-new-magic-items-spoilers

And Dorn is kinda ridiculous. No, he's just flat-out ridiculous. If his Con was higher, he'd be the perfect melee NPC.

Thank you for the link, bit new to the forums, still stumbling about in the dark a little.

I think I'll go with Ogaburan's idea, just for something different and make an all girl party, at the very worst we can nag our enemies to death!