Skip to content

why was beamdog not allowed to change (or expand) existing npcs in the game?

i heard a lot about them not being allowed to expand or change the existing npcs? why is that? i always wondered

Comments

• Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Some people really don't take the effort to inform themselves a bit. But lemme give you the reason for it on a shiny cut board with neon lights: contract limitations!
  • KorlamaqKorlamaq Member Posts: 216
    edited January 2013
    yes contract limitations by who? and why? why remake a game if you dont have the full rights anyway?
    and i am putting effort into informing myself... thats why i made this post! sorry to bother you lol
  • BG_ZeroBG_Zero Member Posts: 23
    The title Baldur's Gate is held by Atari I think, and the setting is held by Wizards of the Coast. Overhaul/Beamdog wanted to work on the game and restore it but they do not own the rights to the game(s), and I assume could not buy them. So the contract to offically work on and sell the game had limmitations set out by the owners. One included the NPC's remaining unchanged, another is the main story.

There's more in there I'm sure but I have no idea what
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    @Pyschochilla
    I think the reason they weren't allowed to change original content was that the original developers were worried that they would mess up their "masterpiece". That or the owners wanted more money to allow for the really big changes.

Personally I don't think that it is necessary to change the original content (other than bugfixing). I'm happy with MORE content. They are allowed to add quests and npc's and the like. Let them focus on that.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Lifat said:

@Pyschochilla
    I think the reason they weren't allowed to change original content was that the original developers were worried that they would mess up their "masterpiece". That or the owners wanted more money to allow for the really big changes.

Personally I don't think that it is necessary to change the original content (other than bugfixing). I'm happy with MORE content. They are allowed to add quests and npc's and the like. Let them focus on that.

I think they (Atari?) were afraid that Beamdog would change the story/NPCs too much, so they (the NPCs) would be too different from original form. At least that is what I suspect.

Well, I wish they would enhance dialogs and banters, not only between your team NPC's, but also dialogs with normal NPC's in the main story. More dialog options etc.

But yeah, as long, as they squish all the bugs and add awesome new content, I'm happy.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Our RULES are very strict! (and in RL there are consequences for ignoring them)
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    Contractual limitation enforced by Atari (or was it Hasbro). Basically, no change to dialogue, characters, plot. No change whatsoever to story and characters in any way. It's quite draconian.

Probably the most suitable comparison is this: let's consider a novel. Publishers may change the cover, make hard cover version, put a new cover with a new cover art/photo, make deluxe edition with bonuses such as footnotes, explanations, possibly a few relevant short stories from the author of the novel etc, make collection edition that contains novel the sequels, may make an ebook version. but are NOT allowed to change a single word of the actual novel without the expressed consent of the author who holds the right.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    D&D Video Games are covered in copyrights by Atari and Hasbro. Go ask them why they can't do it if you care that much...