Skip to content

Weather effects improvements

sanctvssanctvs Member Posts: 7
Hi,
what about weather effects improvements?
I think that it'll be a cool thing... :D
NecdilzorKalindor

Comments

• NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited July 2012
    If your asking for Rainsplashes on the ground not possible w/o any physics. How should the drip know that it collides with something? I do like realistic weathers effects myself. Well, thinking about that again I did something similar for NWN as a faked 2nd weather effect placeable...
  • sanctvssanctvs Member Posts: 7
    No, I know that the engine is 2D... but now it uses Opengl, so they can improve the "dots" and "lines" of the original snow and rain with new particles or an overlay effect with the use of alpha blending...
    darrenkuo
    What else is it by now as not a layered texture with a "green" alpha blending ala halflife blue color code? And to change that texture as an override is done in less a second by me if someone provides me the full name of it.
  • DelvonDelvon Member Posts: 77
    edited July 2012
    I'd also like to have the weather be more "permanent" in a way, or rather, more controlled which leads to some stability in the direction and predictability of weather. The sudden change from a thunderstorm to sunny, to snow (in a short time span) was just confusing. Seemed like global warming was ravaging the lands like crazy with unpredictable weather. Speaking of snow, I'd also love it if there would be some snowfall left on the grounds after snowing. Maybe even footprints from my crew being included in the mix.

All of this along with improved water textures would be sweet.
    paulsifer42NecdilzorKirkor
    edited July 2012
    The infinity engine uses a walkmesh type thing how hard would it be to implement a WOK-material library like in NWN Mr. @TrentOster ?
  • JarlJarl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 99
    Splashing raindrops on the ground are possible, i think. Such an effect could work with the searchmaps. So, on all the passable open-air grounds raindrops can splash, while they can't on impassable regions (like
    walls and so on). On water-overlays raindrops could splash too.

Another request: There is a weather-effect "fog" still in the engine, but it doesn't work and causes CtDs. Maybe this could be restored with some nice, brand new effects?
    sanctvsNWN_babaYagamch202g314
    edited July 2012
    Yes... the fog problem... I remember this... It would be interesting!
    edited July 2012
    @Jarl then please tell me how you do the effect and I try it. I already asked about the rain/ snow sprite name and where it is to be found! And while we´re at it a walking splash/ ripple effect for rivers/ streams should be possible too if you´re right.
  • JarlJarl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 99
    There are four weather-effects in the .ARE-files, you can set a probability for: rain, snow, fog and lightning. While the other three are working well, "fog" doesn't appear in-game. If you set the probability of "fog" on a value >0, the game will crash.
    edited July 2012
    that doesnt answer any question...I know the weather effect checkboxes. Would make sense if someone can tell the name and the code how the weather behaves
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Needs more lightning strike
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    maybe someone should open a thread in the Bugs section regarding the fog effect, so they may address it..
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    @mch202 - A fix for the fog weather effect has already been requested as part of the ToBEx fixes bundle. The devs are aware, and IIRC @CameronTofer said weather effects were going to be overhauled.
    paulsifer42
    Oh sorry didnt know that... :p
    thanks
    :-)
    seeka
    edited July 2012

@mch202 - A fix for the fog weather effect has already been requested as part of the ToBEx fixes bundle. The devs are aware, and IIRC @CameronTofer said weather effects were going to be overhauled.

Yes I remember that Cam said that weather will be improved... but when I see the new screenshots I was worried about (http://baldursgate.com/images/dorn/screenshot03.jpg)

lordkim
    that does not look very improved... just use a bit of fade out (gradiant like) from bottom to top of the line that represents the drip and its better.
  • WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    edited July 2012
    I do hope that if they implement snow its realistic. Unless it's rather cold (like-5 degrees c) the snow turns to slush (gray watery mush) instead of the white most peeps associate with snow. Unless it just melts on the spot. If the grass is green then the snow melts for sure.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I want the part where things would happen in reverse fixed. Like when an Eagle would fly by overhead tail-first. That seriously took me out of the game...
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    LadyRhian said:

I want the part where things would happen in reverse fixed. Like when an Eagle would fly by overhead tail-first. That seriously took me out of the game...

Disagree. The backward flying Eagle is sacred to the authentic BG experience! ;)

paulsifer42Djimmy[Deleted User]
    @space_hamster Not to reality, though! I tried to imagine it was high on Eagle-pot. "Whoa, man! Flying backwards is totally gnarly!" ;)
    seekapaulsifer42
    @Zeckul I agree.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    Zeckul said:

Requesting smooth transitions from night to day, should be entirely trivial via shaders. In the BG2 these are implemented with 4 different tints (night - morning - day - dusk), but the transitions are sudden and harsh.

Exactly! I don't think they'll have too many problems doing a nice transition.

I agree with @Zeckul, This would be nice.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    yes! anything that enhances atmosphere of the game. fog, rain, snow, lightning, day transitions, mists etc
    What say you, @Nathan? Are smooth transitions from day to night something you could do? :)
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited August 2012
    All I want is for lightning strikes to do damage. I think some mod makes it do so in my install but I can't figure out which one. I just want hilarious moments like the time I was helping Drizzt fight the gnolls and he was struck by lightning and killed...so sad, oh well, he would have wanted us to use his gear in the cause of good! :D
    trinit
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Communard said:

All I want is for lightning strikes to do damage. I think some mod makes it do so in my install but I can't figure out which one. I just want hilarious moments like the time I was helping Drizzt fight the gnolls and he was struck by lightning and killed...so sad, oh well, he would have wanted us to use his gear in the cause of good! :D

Well, imagine a lightning strikes you and you resist it(by means of magic resistance). That would be funny. :D
    Anton