Skip to content

Shoud I buy from steam or website?

BonedusterBoneduster Member Posts: 5
edited January 2013 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
Iv'e heard that Atari as filed for bankruptcy (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-atari-bankruptcy-20130119,0,25279.story) and i heard the game is full of glitches on the steam version (http://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/). Since Atari is filling for bankruptcy is it safe to say the steam version wont be getting patched, thus making it better to buy it from the website which is more update now anyway??

Comments

• AgricolaAgricola Member Posts: 21
    I've read that the devs don't get much money from the steam version, so if I had it to do over I'd consider buying from the website. However, yes presently you need to buy from the website if you want the latest version, steam is behind.

That said, to avoid hypocrisy I personally try to keep everything on steam because it's annoying to have accounts on n+1 gaming services.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    We've sent the latest patch to Atari, but it hasn't been submitted to Steam yet. In theory it should be released soon, but as you pointed out they're a little busy with their own concerns at the moment.

I would recommend buying from Beamdog directly, primarily because it will ensure that you get all the latest patches as they're released.
  • BonedusterBoneduster Member Posts: 5
    Aosaw said:

We've sent the latest patch to Atari, but it hasn't been submitted to Steam yet. In theory it should be released soon, but as you pointed out they're a little busy with their own concerns at the moment.

I would recommend buying from Beamdog directly, primarily because it will ensure that you get all the latest patches as they're released.

I presume since your background is tinted blue you are a dev or something and thus your information is reliable, i shall buy from the website then.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    It could just be very cold where we are! Yes, you will be able to get the latest patches as they become available if you buy through Beamdog.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Also, don't take what @Cuv and I are saying to mean that we don't like Steam. I happen to like the service a lot, personally, and buy most of my games from there. But in this instance, you're likely to get better patch support by buying direct because patches are released directly as well.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    This is the relationship if you buy from Beamdog;

Developer > You

If you buy the Steam version it'll look like this;

Developer > Atari > Steam > You

I'd only really consider getting the Steam version if you have to store all your games within a single entity.
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    I would say that unless you have a specific reason for wanting it on steam then buy it from the website. Personally I've never used steam or any client like it. Even with purchasing from Beamdog, I did not have to use a client (they do have one you can use, but it's not required), just download the installer and install.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Yup
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    I vote for buy right from Beamdog.com.

1- You'll get patches much sooner
    2- It's better to purchase directly from the developer (they get a bigger chunk of the revenue)
  • BonedusterBoneduster Member Posts: 5
    It also cheaper from the website i found out