Skip to content

Staff Spear +2

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
Any differences between the one in BG and the one found in BG2? I'm thinking not

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I think it's just a spear +2 that uses Quarterstaff proficiency. I assume unless the one in BG2 has some special abilities they are the same.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited January 2013
    nope. Just a spear that can be used by anyone that can use quarterstaves (uses which ever proficiency between the two is better, when wielded).

It's pretty crappy though. The staff mace is MUCH better (blunt damage and 1hded, vs piercing and 2 hded. The spear deals 1 more max damage, but 1 less minimum damage, so the staff mace is consistently better)
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

nope. Just a spear that can be used by anyone that can use quarterstaves (uses which ever proficiency between the two is better, when wielded).

It just uses the quarterstaff proficiency, even if your spear proficiency is highter.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    edited January 2013

It's pretty crappy though. The staff mace is MUCH better (blunt damage and 1hded, vs piercing and 2 hded. The spear deals 1 more max damage, but 1 less minimum damage, so the staff mace is consistently better)

Actually the Staff Spear does the same minimum damage as the Staff Mace (Staff Mace 2D4+2, 1+1+2 = 4), Staff Spear 1D8+3, 1+3=4). So we're looking at (4-10) for Staff Spear, and (4-11) for Staff Mace.

Also, while I agree that bludgeoning damage is better, it seems with the BG:EE Proficiency system, if you wanted to use a Staff Mace and also take 1 Handed Weapon Style, you would have to take "Quarterstaff" and "One-Handed Weapon Style". Is that right? Kind of a waste for most of the game just to get this unique weapon (Unless it actually uses either the Two-Handed Weapon Style or the Mace Proficiency and I somehow missed that).

At any rate, I kind of think the Staff Spear is underrated. Especially for a High Strength Fighter/Cleric or Fighter/Druid. If you take two points in Quarterstaff and two points in Two-Handed Style, you're Doing 4-10 Weapon Damage, plus 2 damage from Specialization (2 slots), plus your strength (ex. +7 for a Half-Orc F/C with a 19 STR), plus the 1 extra damage that 2 slots in 2 handed weapon style gives you (which you can't get with Single Weapon Style), plus crit-hitting on a 19 or 20. Also, the -4 Speed Factor really helps obviously.

I did some testing and I was doing like 25 damage a hit, and 42+ on crits, with the weapon at 1st level. Granted its a jacked strength character. But shouldn't all F/Cs be that way? :-P
    ajwz said:

A spear was bitten by a radioactive staff and began to undergo certain physical changes...

In baldurs gate 1 it is still coming to terms with its powers and is therefore more naive and prone to emotional swings and rash actions.

In baldurs gate 2, staff spear is more mature and reflective. Now fully comfortable in its hybrid form, it is nevertheless still haunted by the mistakes of its past. It must now confront an existential dilemma: Do staff spears have a place in modern society? Is something of such great power meant to be wielded by mere mortals?

The story reaches a dramatic and satisfying conclusion at the end of ToB, where staff spear is forced to confront it's arch nemesis, staff mace atop a mountain of skulls.

...on the next episode of "Staff Spears and the Restless"
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    *Sniff*, it's so beautiful. Thank you, @ajwz.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    @ajwz I love you.
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    @ajwz, You should make an NPC mod of this.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    It is a really nice weapon +2 to hit and +3 dmg, and it is 1d8 not 1d6. Not to mention that it can be used by anyone who can wield staff. It looks great btw.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Because the staff mace is 1 handed, it means you can dual-wield for an extra attack, which completely beats both the bonus damage from 2hd style and the 1 point difference in damage.

Not to mention..as has been discussed in several places, blunt is just plain superior as a damage type, while piercing is just about the worst.

Yes..a F/C or BM could wield it, when they normally couldn't use spears, but at the same time, there's no point. It's an inferior weapon to any other combination of weapons you could wield and is acquired so late it just doesn't matter anymore.
    Now you're burning ur proficiency points into two-weapon fighting style. An extra attack if u manage to hit. Not worth it to me. Also U get the Staff Mace later then u get the Staff Spear! (You theoretically can do Durlag's tower as early as you want). Also ur speccing in quarter staff and two weapon fighting? Blech.
    edited January 2013
    Also what other novelty staff are u dual wielding it with in ur off hand, or are u just dual wielding a non proficient weapon with it, making it even a lesser chance to hit.