Skip to content

Custom portraits

BojakBojak Member Posts: 1
Hey! Is there any easy way to change portrait of imoen to the bg2 imoen portrait?
:) so happy this is finally out but i have played bg2 way too much to accept picture of a "fat" imoen :)

Comments

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Don't worry, she thins out in BGII....
  • AlarianAlarian Member Posts: 8
    That's why she looked so wrong. I was remembering her from BG2. I agree, she just doesn't look right.
  • shtkckshtkck Member Posts: 22
    You know what doesnt look right is the terrible new portraits, very poor quality compared to the old artist.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Well, they do have quite a different artistic style, more suited to icewind dale if you ask me. Perhaps the next set of portraits will offer something different.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    I'd be interested to see if anyone figures out how to use custom portraits on the iPad. That is a very nice feature for users.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    Currently custom portraits is my biggest complaint. I've got a few I'm dying to use!
  • scanlinescanline Member Posts: 46
    I'm in the folder structure using iFunBox but can find where the portraits are kept. Any ideas out there?
  • RevoltingRevolting Member Posts: 3
    Custom portraits (and sound sets) were one of my fondest memories of BG original. Sad to not see them for iPad, although, if we could have them, they would make the in app purchase portraits redundant, so I'm not expecting them to happen. Shame.
  • D3V11_D3V11_ Member Posts: 69
    agreed big shame. perhaps make it to enable the ability to use custom portraits on iPad you would need to buy the portrait pack? this would solve the issue.

if this is already implemented pleas make it clear that buying the portrait pack enables custom portraits.

I have both PC and iPad version and would love my portraits in both versions.
    Here's something to try. Using iFunBox import a character from the PC or Mac version where you ARE able to set custom portraits. I still haven't tried this but will let you all know what I find.

• D3V11_D3V11_ Member Posts: 69
    Confirmed, you are able to create a character on PC and port it to iPad using ifunbox with that portrait, you do need the portrait directory with the portrait in it with the name unchanged on the iPad as well of course.

Would still like to see custome portraits on the iPad for convenience tho. Thank you.
    Hey D3v11,
    Would you mind putting up a guide to this? Maybe even make another post? It would be great to see the steps, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Thanks so much.
  • GwydionGwydion Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2013
    I followed the transferring a save from my Mac to the iPad instructions to get a custom portrait for CHARNAME posted to this forum. (pointing Shadowkeeper in a wine wrapper at a non-EE install of BG - is this tool available for OS X natively? Before editing a game with Shadowkeeper I have to drop all EE items on the ground so they don't get removed - I can pick them back up when I load my modified game on the iPad) This does not create a custom portrait option in the character creation screen.

Custom portraits for NPCs was much easier:
    1. Create or obtain properly formatted portraits.
    2. Use iFunBox to create a "portraits" folder in in "Baldur's Gate\Library\" on the iPad in lower case.
    3. Copy your portraits to this folder with names such as "JaheiraM.bmp" and "JaheiraS.bmp". The length of the file doesn't seem static, but are intuitive. I think it's whatever the developers first named the original NPC portraits. For example Montaron is "MontarM.bmp" to work; so you may need to play with the name a little to get it to work. I expect most are 7 or 8 characters long including the M and S. I'm editing the file names as I encounter each NPC in my game.
    4. Load your iPad game.

Oddly, during character creation you normally have the option of choosing a portrait that looks like an NPC. After adding my custom NPC portraits *some* of these portraits are replaced while others aren't. For instance, my Garrick portrait works in-game, but not at character creation. My Khalid portraits works both in-game and at character creation. So this may be a simpler option for Mac users to have a custom CHARNAME portrait. Replace some NPC portaits, then during character creation use the one you want.
    Gwydion said:

I followed the transferring a save from my Mac to the iPad instructions to get a custom portrait for CHARNAME posted to this forum. (pointing Shadowkeeper in a wine wrapper at a non-EE install of BG - is this tool available for OS X natively? Before editing a game with Shadowkeeper I have to drop all EE items on the ground so they don't get removed - I can pick them back up when I load my modified game on the iPad) This does not create a custom portrait option in the character creation screen.

Custom portraits for NPCs was much easier:
    1. Create or obtain properly formatted portraits.
    2. Use iFunBox to create a "portraits" folder in in "Baldur's Gate\Library\" on the iPad in lower case.
    3. Copy your portraits to this folder with names such as "JaheiraM.bmp" and "JaheiraS.bmp". The length of the file doesn't seem static, but are intuitive. I think it's whatever the developers first named the original NPC portraits. For example Montaron is "MontarM.bmp" to work; so you may need to play with the name a little to get it to work. I expect most are 7 or 8 characters long including the M and S. I'm editing the file names as I encounter each NPC in my game.
    4. Load your iPad game.

Oddly, during character creation you normally have the option of choosing a portrait that looks like an NPC. After adding my custom NPC portraits *some* of these portraits are replaced while others aren't. For instance, my Garrick portrait works in-game, but not at character creation. My Khalid portraits works both in-game and at character creation. So this may be a simpler option for Mac users to have a custom CHARNAME portrait. Replace some NPC portaits, then during character creation use the one you want.

This worked. Thanks so much. But for those on a mac... I could only get this to work when making sure that the BMP is actually 24bit. In photoshop, when saving a bmp, you have the option of "advanced mode." Select that and make sure it's actually set to 24bit. Using basic mode will not get you actual 24 bit. Thanks everyone.

Oh and it worked when I used the name Man1(S,M,L).bmp. you lose the bald guy but who uses that portrait anyways. haha.