Skip to content

Request : A Fix for the Range Weapon Attack Per Round Bug introduced by Patch 6.

pakbgeepakbgee Member Posts: 31
edited January 2013 in General Modding
Possible for mod gurus out there to come up with a quick fix to address this?

Comments

• WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I would really appreciate it too.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Whatever this is I'm sure this will be the first thing to be addressed by the developers. What's the bug by the way?
    fredamora said:

Whatever this is I'm sure this will be the first thing to be addressed by the developers. What's the bug by the way?

Attacks per round don't increase from fighter levels or weapon proficiencies so fe. a lvl 8 fighter with high mastery in longbows will still have only 2 attack per round when he should have 3.

• leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    What seems to happen was that 'modify attacks per round' effect of ranged weapons are set to set the attack per round (APR) to certain value... For example, Crossbows have fixed 1 APR, darts 1, bows 2, slings 1. So grandmasters in those weapons would have +3 to hit bonus and +5 damage bonus, but not the APR bonus.

It is relatively simple to fix, just need to use NI to change 2nd 'unknown' row (5th row from the top) and change the value from 01 00 00 00 to 00 00 00 00. It changes the effect from forcing APR to change it incrementally, that is, to add. The first 'unknown' row sets the effect value.

So for those who want to get the previous APR value for bows, first unknown row needs to be changed from 02 00 00 00 to 01 00 00 00 and second unknown row from 01 00 00 00 to 00 00 00 00. This will give bow users 1 extra APR on top of APR instead of foece-setting APR to two.

However....

To me it is indeed a bug fix.... That's how PnP handles missile weapons with set APR.
    Funny how people wants BG to stick very close to PnP (look at the poll result somewhere in general forum) but the moment it inconveniences them....
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    @leeho730

I'll be ok with the way ranged APR works in PnP being implemented in Baldur's Gate the moment we get the full range on ranged weapons according to PnP, elemental arrows have their proper damage, and composite bows get their proper strength bonuses.
    @leeho730

Archery in Baldur's Gate isn't really the same thing as in pnp with the 30ft visibility due to fog of war.
    @moopy @Wilbur

Sorry, folks, but sounds like excuses to me. A) it is unwise to 'trade' the rules (I'll do it if you do it first) especially if you want something to stick very closely to the rules. It's like complaining insane difficulty is too hard. Perhaps better approach would have been to ask Overhaul to implement such features instead but I guess you were comfortable with APR bug enough not to complain about that? B) It is perhaps legacy of the past where BG engine was originally developed for RTS game (Battleground Infinity). So perhaps better suggestion would have been to ask Overhaul to increase sight and bow range instead?

How hard core do you want BG to be in terms of AD&D rules? As much as possible or as long as it allows certain amount of cheesy-ness?

But I recon blame should primarily lie on Bioware for this; they allowed this loop hole for far too long from BG1 all the way to TOB.
    Obviously Overhaul listened to the users who wanted BG to stick to AD&D rule as close as possible, I'm glad this bug is ironed out. Another one of 400 improvement BGEE made, I say.
    edited January 2013
    @leeho740

I don't want it to be as close to pnp as possible. I haven't even played pnp in over 15 years so I don't really care about that. I want it to be like it always has been and imo should be in BG.

I'm so glad this bug will be fixed in the next patch.
    Post edited by Wilbur on
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    edited January 2013
    @leeho730

Sorry Leeho730, sounds like excuses to me. Give me my bow range or STFU.

Give me PnP ranged weapons, or if limitations due to it being a computer game prevents that balance them some other way.

BG has tons of "house rules" that were implemented to balance things around it being a computer game. So ranged APR isn't a bug as you call it, it was done on purpose.

Bioware didn't just use this from BG1-TOB. Every D&D game they made worked this way, because were smart enough to realize that PnP ranged weapons are only balanced due to... WAIT FOR IT.. their RANGE.

And giving ranged weapons the range they are suppose to have, would give you a huge sight range, which would make them way better than they currently are so yeah I'll straight up take that if it wouldn't break the game so bad as if to be ridiculous.

It has already been confirmed to be a bug by Overhaul.

Here is the problem with anything you could ever say to this. All I have to do is point out any other thing in the game that doesn't completely stick to PnP and is a house rule to work better with a computer game.

Case and point. You can't save your game and reload it in PnP. I don't care that this is a computer game. We have to stick to PnP rules exactly with no house rules to accommodate the fact that it is a computer game.

Get rid of the save and load bug!!!
    Where should we start... That spells don't cost money, spells don't age people? Now you bring all the irreverent aspect of the game to compare apple to orange?

Heck, BG is so far from AD&D, why not twist the rule now? Might as well give bows, crossbows, slings 5 attacks per round!

... If you really want to fix it, it ain't, hard. You definitely can do it yourselves while waiting for next 'patch'.

1) for bows, repeat the steps I posted.

2) for slings, crossbows, simply delete 'modify attacks per round' effect, except for the crossbow of speed. For crossbow of speed, step 1).

3) For darts, change the first unknown row from 03 00 00 00 to 02 00 00 00 and second unknow row from 01 00 00 00 to 00 00 00 00.

Voila, done.

For those who believe ranged combat in BG is so gimped to justify all the extra attacks, follow the step below:

1) Using NI, open the item and select the missile weapon

2) On the 'modify attacks per round' effect, change the first row from whatever the value to 05 00 00 00.

3) done, now missile weapons do 5 attacks per round. This will compensate for lack of elemental damage and strength bonus nicely.
    Well, since Camdawg himself came in and said this was the bug, I'm gonna eat my words. Moopy, Wilbur, I'm sorry, you were right.
    leeho730 said:

Well, since Camdawg himself came in and said this was the bug, I'm gonna eat my words. Moopy, Wilbur, I'm sorry, you were right.

No problem. Thanks for the mod to fix this for the time being. I really appreciate it.
    Now I can fully enjoy my archer play through. There are gonna be some arrows flying tonight :)

• AlhoonAlhoon Member Posts: 9
    Hi, guys. New here.
    Sorry to go for the boring question, but I don't have the option of modding, since I'm playing it on iPad:
    is there any idea of when this fix will come out? Because, without the modding quickfix, it's a real game breaker, and my party is already drunk waiting at the Elfsong. I fear for their health.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    @Alhoon
    @leeho730 has been testing mods to iPad, that includes the range weapon ApR fix. See here. Alhoon Squidward is really funny by the way.:D Welcome to the forum.
  • AlhoonAlhoon Member Posts: 9
    @Illustair
    Thanks for the welcome and for the tip. Unfortunately I play it on a non-jb 6.0.1 iPad (or else I'd have added profiles, soundkits, the whole thang, hehehe). So I'm really at the mercy of a release date for the patch..

Btw glad you like the avatar :D