Skip to content

Wild Surge Question

Neera just turned herself into a squirrel. The odd thing is that she was removed from the party as if she were turned to stone. Neera the squirrel only had the name 'Squirrel' and I rested for a full 24 hours and she didn't change back. Dorn killed Neera the Squirrel and I got 1 experience and she didn't drop any of her equipment. I'm pretty sure this is a glitch since Neera never could come back and her equipment is permanently gone. Can someone from development confirm whether or not this is a glitch as none of the other polymorph effects associated with Wild Surges do this?

Comments

• moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    That is the greatest glitch in the world.

I mean, I assume you are correct and it is a glitch, every time Neera surged a spell to polymorph herself I got lucky and she saved when I used her.
  • JTMJTM Member Posts: 70
    edited January 2013
    Not a glitch, but rather a legitimate wild surge roll...(see #16 ;)): http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Wild_Surge_Table

Edit: Sorry, misread the glitch is about her and her equipment becoming un-recoverable. I shouldn't post so tired lol...
    Post edited by JTM on
    edited January 2013
    I think the glitch is that she never turns back, and is thus removed from the game with all her equipment forever. Is that how it is suppose to work?

Edit:

Why is 99 better than 100?
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    moopy said:

Because you can stack wild protections to pretty much guarantee 100+ at a certain character level/casting level.
    Wouldn't the max be 25 (Shield) + Level (31) ?

Actually yeah that would be over 100 over half the time, point taken.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    moopy said:

I think the glitch is that she never turns back, and is thus removed from the game with all her equipment forever. Is that how it is suppose to work?

Edit:

It doesn't say anywhere that the squirral transformation is NOT permanant, so I would assume it's WAI.

Hence Aldoy's belt +5 saves vs polymorph.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    That's pretty neat. I've only seen her polymorph into a wolf.

If polymoprhing into a squirrel is one of the things that's supposed to happen, it would make more sense that she drop her items at that time. For example, the gem bag would be carrying her, not the other way around.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    I can't be sure if it is a bug or glitch but you might be better served reporting this in the bug section of the forum.
    from the manual:

16: Caster changed into a squirrel.

It doesn't say it's temporary, it doesn't say equipment is unaffected.
    @Fardragon All the other polymorph effects of wild surging aren't permanent so why would this one be? I'm not saying that it definitely is a bug but it is worth looking into.
    Even if it isn't a bug then it kind of sucks as a wild surge because mostly you can get out of the wild surges in one way or another, sometimes by ressing.
    Wild magic is all about chaos. The last thing you would expect it to be is consistant.

There are a fair few other wild surge rolls that can wipe the team or kill unrezable CHARNAME.

Not to mention making your stuff disapear.
    I agree that some of the wildsurges can effectively speaking wipe the party and/or kill charname. But given what we know about the other polymorph effects of wild surging isn't it legitimate to ask if it is a bug?
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    it sounds like a bug. if not it makes it the only game breaking wild surge in the table.
    You can ask, but the crow polymophed to a squirrel on Aldoy's map never turns back, however long you wait (not to mention the other squirrel and the moose).

IMO, avoiding such a fate is the whole point of Aldoy's belt.
  • berninicaco3berninicaco3 Member Posts: 15
    aldoy's belt does not help much...
    Neera changed color, and changed sex, and it's been over a week and both seem to be permanent.
    Was hoping maybe they'd change back.
    I quicksave constantly: probably best to redo that particular battle where she polymorphed herself (if you haven't already).
  • berninicaco3berninicaco3 Member Posts: 15
    err, wondering if the romance continues with a male neera, too: or if using the gender bender belt to make her female again fixes it.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    It will continue; Neera does not check her own gender.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Jalily said:

It will continue; Neera does not check her own gender.

She's one confident girl, I give her that.

aldoy's belt does not help much...
    Neera changed color, and changed sex, and it's been over a week and both seem to be permanent.
    Was hoping maybe they'd change back.

Those effects don't get a saving throw. Polymorph Other does. If you keep at it long enough another wild surge might change your colour and gender back.

As per PnP rules Polymorph Other should be permanent, but reversable with Dispel Magic, Remove Curse, or another Polymorph Other back to original form.