Skip to content

Unkillable trolls?

ShrimpShrimp Member Posts: 142
Has this happened to anyone else? Usually, when a troll takes enough damage he goes into his "dying" state, where you have to deal fire or acid (I think desert trolls are immune to fire though) to kill them for good. However, in at least two instances, dying trolls seem to never die, whatever damage I inflict:

- one troll in the De'Arnise keep splits in two when killed. One of these mini trolls just won't die. (and he seems to be immune to fire damage)
- a group of trolls are fighting some druids on the grove's map, north-east of the troll mound. All three of them seem to suffer from this as well.

When using the FoA, I see that two damage types are dealt, but they still won't die. Ctrl-Y works though...

I'm not sure if it happened in my earliest (unmodded) games, but I'd probably remember if that was the case since none of those trolls can be avoided. The only mods installed at the moment are the Fixpack and some components of the Tweakpack, none of them have anything to do with trolls.

Comments

• MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    Almost all trolls follow the same routine:

"Kill 'em"
    "Shoot with Fire Arrows/Acid Arrows"
    "Celebrate"

Exceptions are:
    Ice Trolls in IWD don't need to be flamed (In BG2 they do).
    Split Trolls require you do the first step three times, the second step twice, and the third step never.
    Fire trolls in ToB can be shot by Ice but not Fire. Acid works.

Typically, I use Fireball, Melf's Acid Arrow or Agannazar's Scorcher to burn trolls. Personally I have had no trouble dealing with the Split Troll in De'Arnise Keep or the group fighting Druids. Is this reproducible? If you can reproduce it then you should probably stick this in the Bug Report section. Even if not it may be worth reporting there.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I believe there is a problem when you put out too much damage. The troll can only die when it's "dying" animation plays, but when you hit him too quickly too often, he will display the "hit" animation, which prevents the "dying" animation from taking place. This way, trolls can stay at "Near Death" for indefinite periods of time.

One solution is to bring them to an estimated 0 HP and then take a step back and stop attacking. When their HP were in fact low, they will fall over and be dead. If not, hit them once again and they should be gone.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Yeah, any time they won't die, just let them recover and then try again. Their death involves some scripting that can get wonky if you kill them too fast.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @Sylvus_Moonbow, I don't think there are any. The OP is referring to the ones in BG2 (Nalia's quest).
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    @the_new_romance: that's correct, and that's the workaround I've had to use in the past.

@Shrimp: You just need to step-back and let them fall before finishing them.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    There are trolls in BG:EE. You encounter them during Rasaad's quest.