Skip to content

When identifying an item, use the lore from whoever has the highest as base

SterlingArcherSterlingArcher Member Posts: 8

If a warrior (or low lore char) has an unidentified item in backpack, and you try to identify. Use mages (or whoever has the highest lore) Lore as base.

This would make inventory management a little easier.

Comments

• AliyaAliya Member Posts: 9
    Eh? In original BG: You just need to drag the item from the warrior's inventory to mage's/bard's/sorcerer's inventory at they will identify it in a second. The dragging can be fun and fast, if you use 1-6 numbers on your keyboard. :)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Aliya: Okay, fast I understand. But "fun"? ;)

It's a tedious process that could easily be expedited by this request. I'm for it.
    @Aosaw; I dunno, I've been dragging items almost the whole time and never got bored! :D Well, the request makes sense, but, for me, it's not so realistic - a mage could easily identify everything in his own hands, rather than in someone else's. The exception is of course - the 100th long sword +1. :)
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    I'm all for convenience tweaks, things like this are especially important for multiplayer.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Aliya: Look at it less like the wizard rummaging through his friend's backpack, and more like the friend bringing the item to the wizard and saying, "Can you tell me anything about this?"

He's not actually giving the item to the wizard; just showing it to him.
    @Aosaw: Oh. Okay, you won. I support this idea. :) And HeroicSpur is right, it can be useful in multiplayer.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I hate identifying stuff. That is all.
  • wendigowendigo Member Posts: 46
    @Aosaw: Oh. Okay, you won. I support this idea. :) And HeroicSpur is right, it can be useful in multiplayer.

"you won"
    lol

• EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    I also support this 100%.
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
    YES PLEASE! Terrific idea.
  • CykelpostenCykelposten Member Posts: 4
    Great suggestion.
  • wbouvywbouvy Member Posts: 33
    Would "two heads are better than one" not apply here as well?
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    I do not agree with this idea. If it is implemented, then it should be an option only like the 'heal upon rest' option. It breaks immersion and makes the game do more for you than it should. This is a role playing game, and I do not want to see so many things creep in that dumb it down. If you want something identified, then move it to someone who has higher lore or pay to have it identified! That is part of the flavor of BG... managing your own party and yourself.
    Agreed. Every BG char's backpack should feel like his backpack.

OPs suggestion is too gamey. Dont want this, unless its optional.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Its beautiful to say and annoying to do.

It's a slow game by nature, each time we go to a shop to make the junk sell it's a pain in the ass, so why don't make simple? To preserve roleplay? the charisma status to brought items shoud only be applied if the high charismatic character is talking with the merchant, however you just need to have the charismatic party member to get the bonus, not necessary use him to talk with the merchant.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    edited June 2012
    I must agree with @Cuv. This feature would be better left to a mod.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    I agree with @Cuv as well, I would definitely not like to see this implemented. Although it may seem like a minor thing, it is just another little thing that could slowly destroy the Baldur's Gate experience by having the game do too much for you.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited June 2012
    I feel quite neutral about this matter, both keeping it as it is or a "show it to the mage option" don't shock me.
    But I say leave it as it is.
  • StradlinStradlin Member Posts: 142
    edited June 2012
    @Aliya: Okay, fast I understand. But "fun"? ;)

It's a tedious process that could easily be expedited by this request. I'm for it.
    Start removing features one could easily call tedious makes a dangerous path! Roads leading to consolized hell are paved with good intentions and all that!

I do agree in theory; it IS tedious! Some things need too be. If game world is large and rich enough, tedious junk ends up making the experience richer still, not more annoying. Typical modern day cPRG is really suffering from streamlining. Remove features like party and item managment can lead into cake with threateningly few layers. Talk to friendly NPCs. Kill unfriendly ones. Rinse and repeat.

I feel that as a rule of thumb, more cRPG attempts to trick player into thinking the game isn't mostly about hitting stuff with sword or talking to friendly NPC about what too hit with a sword next, the better.

edited June 2012
    @Cuv grow up man! Trully? from 21 to 51 disagrees just after i review your post? Coincidence? I don't think so, but as ppl already told disagrees don't make or take points, so whaterver.

About the roleplay, this is a plataform game, you can't make everything that's done in P&P here, you can't pull the carpet under a enemy to make him fall and kill him with a dagger in a lethal point, you have to hack all his life points, you can't cover a place with oil and drag a legion of undead there to trow a fire spell (or even a torch) and just see them toasting to death (final death here in fact). Somethings can be done others can't, we have to preserve roleplay yes, i'm a huge defender of this idea, just take a look on the add drow elves as main char topic, therefore you don't need to give me class in this.

But together with roleplay exist game play, and it can't be ignored. The very scripts that exist on the characters status menu are a violation of roleplay by your point, the absent of XP penality to evil characters doing good actions or the inverse, as the very reputation system and the way it work, they're all flawed.

As i said before the game already ignore the charisma NPC action to give the party better prices on the merchants, by just have a 18 charismatic person in your party you get the bonus, even if the NPC talking with the merchant has 6 in charisma for example.

Ps: don't forget to disagree here.

Edit: just to ppl know, i defend only the idea of allow the lore value to be party shared, not a shared use of identify spell.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738

Start removing features one could easily call tedious makes a dangerous path! Roads leading to consolized hell are paved with good intentions and all that!
    As someone that actually plays console games too, I always hate it when people equate "making things simpler" with "dumbing down" or "consolizing". In games as in real life, sometimes simpler is better. Complexity for the sake of complexity isn't a good thing.

As for the current discussion, I honestly would rather keep things as they are (if you want to identify an item with a spell you'll have to send it over to the arcane caster anyway). I'd even go as far as saying that they should make it so that shops take into account the Charisma of the NPC that's actually interacting with the shopkeeper.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    edited June 2012
    @Cuv grow up man! Trully? from 21 to 51 disagrees just after i review your post? Coincidence? I don't think so, but as ppl already told disagrees don't make or take points, so whaterver.
    Sorry about that @kamuizin, my intention was not to start a war. I will not add to your disagrees. I am still new here and have no idea what the points are about yet. But I am not new to the BG2 community and have been modding this game for well over a decade and have very strong feelings regarding it.

There is nothing wrong with your request as a mod, but not as a core feature in my opinion. My offer still stands to help you make it when the game is released.

Ps: don't forget to disagree here.
    @kamuzin

Man, you're a valued member of this community, I have supported some of your contributions so far and will continue to do so in the future whenever I agree with you. However, telling Cuv to "grow up" and writing that P.S. shortly thereafter is contradictory, 'cause that P.S. itself sounds kinda childish. You've expressed your opinion about the tedious process of identifying items, and Cuv has expressed theirs with regards to the same matter. This is what internet forums are about: sharing views. There's no need for personal attacks.
    @AndreaColombo, you're right man, I used irony here in part it was a post made in the heat of my indignation cos betwen the post and my reply (2 hours) i get something like 30+ disagrees, that should not bother me but maybe i'm too hothead and the flame rage take the better of me there. The irony was used as a form of protest against 30+ disagrees in less than 2 hours lapse of time.

In topic: I can be wrong but appear to be a simple thing to do block or allow a party lore share and charismahare, so an option to put P&P loyal gameplay on or off would maybe be easy to do, therefore those options could be put on the gameplay options in game, as the hit rolls, or rest until healed options.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @kamuizin
    Its possible that the "disagrees" simply come from new board users. I got a bunch of those today too, lol.

@kamuizin
    I can count a total of two disagrees for you in this thread, so they aren't from here and most likely not caused by Cuv's comment. I understand your reaction as no one likes to see their disagree count grow in their profile, sometimes I get some new disagrees from older posts as well and I imagine getting 30 in a short time can be pretty bothersome. However, Cuv doesn't appear to be the culprit. I'm glad everything's settled, anyway :-)
    @Tanthalas i tough about this possibility, but no. I have 1 disagree now in 50% of my posts, 1 in each post.
  • ZaccaroZaccaro Member Posts: 39
    I feel there should be a toggle button like infravision. The beauty to me was that you had to realize who had the biggest lore could actually Identify the magical item. That's what I remember being nice about it. I wouldn't have noticed unless it was "per person" type of thing.