Skip to content

Thief weapon prof. questions

Just looking for some input on preferred weapon proficiencies for a thief kit (bounty hunter). I'm torn between which ranged & melee weapon combo to go with. So...

1.) is it wise to take something like staff or clubs so I can backstab w/ blunt damage? (blunt damage less resisted?)

2.) other than racial THAC0 bonuses, are the differences between slings, s.bows, and crossbows negligible? What should I base my choice on here?

Essentially, I like the idea of the bonus AC from single-weapon style, but I think staves might have more potential than clubs. Should I not restrict myself to blunt for melee? Any input is greatly appreciated. 

Comments

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    You're supposed to only be able to backstab with piercing, but even with a quarter staff you can backstab. I don't know if it's a bug or intentional

By the time you get to the second half of the game, the +1 racial bonuses really don't help that much anymore.

The nice thing about 2 handed weapons is that you get the additional weapon damage, but also get improved critical (from the fighting style) as well as an ease-of-use when it comes to swapping to ranged, which you can't get if you used a buckler. I personally used single weapon style and a long sword on my thief, though (Coran).
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    Also should be noted that the best backstabbing weapon currently is actually a quarterstaff, as funky as that is. The short sword of backstabbing should really be much better than it is without needing a mod.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Mykra said:

Also should be noted that the best backstabbing weapon currently is actually a quarterstaff, as funky as that is. The short sword of backstabbing should really be much better than it is without needing a mod.

Yes, though that Staff you don't get until vey late, if taking it I usually wait until Level 4 or 8, work s best if you also have two handed weapon fighting for extra damage, critical chance and increased speed. Staves are also nice because they do blunt damage, which doesn't get nerfed vs. plate armour like slashing and, to a less extent, piercing weapons do, and there are less monsters resistant to it. Clubs are okay in BGEE, now that they've added +2 ones and mid-game a +2 one, but there aren't any amazing ones, and the ones in BG2 aren't that amazing, especially in the late game.

If you don't think you're going to one-shot kill someone, the Dagger of Venom is very nice, particularly againest spell castings, as the poision tick disrupts their spell casting for 12 rounds! Also, if you manage to get another hit in and they fail their save again, the poison effect stacks. Combine with single weapon fighting for more chance of a crit.

I quite like Scimitars for thieves too now in BGEE, this also gives you proficiencies in Ninja-Tos and Wakazashis, there is a +1 version of the latter, at least, early in the game, and this does piercing damage, which can be more effective, though some enemies are partially (e.g. skeletons) who wholly immune to this (e.g. Mustard Jellies) - you have a choice, though as Scimitars and Ninja-Tos do slashing damage, and there is now a +2 Scimitar available mid-game and one or two (depending on your alignment) +3 Scimitars to use which you can pickpockt (or kill for, if strong enough, or with fondness for cheese) from a certain drow elf ranger... There are also some great Scimitars in BG2., including one that gives an extra attack.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    edited February 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938

including one that gives an extra attack.

Two if you count the Scarlet Ninja-to, and Belm. I realize the Scarlet Ninja-to isn't a "scimitar" but they both work with the same proficiency. I realize that wouldn't work until UAI.
    Regarding ranged weapons for a thief - darts are nice for an assassin, as you can get 3 poison attacks per round, but I usually go shortbows for other thieves, as there's a +1 one available early game, a +2 one mid-late game, they get 2 APR from the off, and there's a wide range of ammo available. Also in BG2 arquably the best bows are shortbows (better than longbows, even).

Crossbows are okay, but only when you can get the +1 Lightcrossbow of Speed, as this gets 2 APR and much lower speed than normal crossbows, and does more damage (base 1-8 vs. 1-6) than a shortbow, but you probably won't be able to afford it until level 4, and the other crossbows in BG2 are only 1 APR. There is also a great (and upgradable) lightcrossbow in BG2. The range of available magic ammo isn't as good as bows, though, though the (expensive) bolts of lightning are good. If you have another NPC who uses shortbows, though, crosbows are not a bad choice.

BTW as you probably know, If an elf, you only get the +1 THAC0 bonus with shortbows or longbows/composite bows, though (and a pure class thief can only use shortbows). BTW elves also get the +1 THAC0 bonus with *all* swords (but not daggers) *not* just longswords (i.e. they get the bonus for shortswords, scimitars etc., katanas, two-handed swords...)

Slings are okay if you have high strength, as they add strength bonus damage (darts don't, slings, throwing daggers and throwing axes do in BGEE, but a thief can't use the latter and they only get 1 APR) , also halflings get +1 THAC0 with slings. There are quite a few magic slings in the game (both in BGEE and BG2) and the ones you can buy are cheap. The probem with slings, though, is that they're only 1 APR and the range of magic ammo isn't as good as bows (but they have added elemental damage bullets to BGEE, though they aren't +1/+2 to hit). If taking Monaron as an NPC, though, he can be good with them, as gets 2 pips in slings (he's fighter/thief) and gets the halfling +! THAC0 bonus.

BTW daggers are another ranged option, at least early on, especially if you have high strength, as they also add strength bonus damage and get 2 APR, BUT there ae no magic throwing daggers in BGEE, but there are a few good returning ones in BG2.

In one of my current games I'm playing an illusionist thief, she has proficiencies in daggers (for dager of venon) and shortbows, then went single-weapon style, but will probably go for Katanas at level 8, mostly to prepare for Celestial Fury in BG2, as there are only two Katanas available in BGEE - a (breakable) non-magic one in Candlekeep at the start (which you can only afford it doing both the Firebeard gold trick *and* if you have enough in Open Locks to steal the Sapphire) and a +1 Katana available mid-late game.
    edited February 2013
    I'd start with one in dagger, and one in crossbow.

Work your way to the dagger of venom and the speed crossbow (both sold at smithy in Beregost)

At level 4 I'd take a point in Single Weapon Style, critting on a 19 or 20 is nice especially on backstabs, and you said you wanted to go this direction.

At level 8 I'd take a point in katanas, Celestial Fury in BG2 ftw as Oxford says, especially at lower levels.

At level 12 I'd take Two Weapon Fighting. (If you decide you don't want single weapon fighting you could have taken this at 4, that would move everything else I say down by 4 levels each)

At level 16 I'd take scimitars, to offhand Belm (still main handing Celestial Fury), and maybe main hand Scarlet Ninja-To once you get Use Any Item. (Main handing Scarlet NInja-To, and off handing Belm would turn you into a whirling bladed death machine in the shape of a humanoid.)

At level 20 I'd take staves, for back stabbing with Staff of the Ram.

At level 24 I'd take Two Handed Weapons so your backstab with Staff of the Ram will crit on 19 or 20.

You really don't need anything else at this point, but at level 28 I'd take long swords and at 32 bastard swords. There are a ton of cool longswords, and with both longswords and bastard swords you can dual wield The Answerer with Foebane. The first one lowers magic resistance, and the second one hits the target with Larloch's Minor Drain.

I think a point that can be made here, is since you can only put one point as a Bounty Hunter per weapon, and you aren't multiclassed, and don't intend on dual classing ( I assume) you will be able to end up with SEVERAL weapon choices.

I'd also like to mention I'm playing a Bounty Hunter in BG1:EE right now, and I started with daggers and crossbows, and took single weapon style at 4 and I'm enjoying that combination. (Because of Dagger of Venom, Light Crossbow of Speed + Bolts of Lightning)
    moopy said:

including one that gives an extra attack.

Two if you count the Scarlet Ninja-to, and Belm. I realize the Scarlet Ninja-to isn't a "scimitar" but they both work with the same proficiency. I realize that wouldn't work until UAI.
    Yes, the Scarlet Ninja-To is awesome, but you can't use it as a Thief until you get UAI (first opportunity is at 3 million XP!), as it's Mink-specific. BTW there is also a shortsword (Kundane) in BG2 that gives +1 APR

Bhaaldog said:

You're supposed to only be able to backstab with piercing, but even with a quarter staff you can backstab. I don't know if it's a bug or intentional

I thought it was a bug which they addressed?
    Nope
    moopy said:

I'd start with one in dagger, and one in crossbow.

Work your way to the dagger of venom and the speed crossbow (both sold at smithy in Beregost)

At level 4 I'd take a point in Single Weapon Style, critting on a 19 or 20 is nice especially on backstabs, and you said you wanted to go this direction.

At level 8 I'd take a point in katanas, Celestial Fury in BG2 ftw as Oxford says, especially at lower levels.

At level 12 I'd take Two Weapon Fighting. (If you decide you don't want single weapon fighting you could have taken this at 4, that would move everything else I say down by 4 levels each)

At level 16 I'd take scimitars, to offhand Belm (still main handing Celestial Fury), and maybe main hand Scarlet Ninja-To once you get Use Any Item. (Main handing Scarlet NInja-To, and off handing Belm would turn you into a whirling bladed death machine in the shape of a humanoid.)

At level 20 I'd take staves, for back stabbing with Staff of the Ram.

At level 24 I'd take Two Handed Weapons so your backstab with Staff of the Ram will crit on 19 or 20.

You really don't need anything else at this point, but at level 28 I'd take long swords and at 32 bastard swords. There are a ton of cool longswords, and with both longswords and bastard swords you can dual wield The Answerer with Foebane. The first one lowers magic resistance, and the second one hits the target with Larloch's Minor Drain.

I think a point that can be made here, is since you can only put one point as a Bounty Hunter per weapon, and you aren't multiclassed, and don't intend on dual classing ( I assume) you will be able to end up with SEVERAL weapon choices.

I'd also like to mention I'm playing a Bounty Hunter in BG1:EE right now, and I started with daggers and crossbows, and took single weapon style at 4 and I'm enjoying that combination. (Because of Dagger of Venom, Light Crossbow of Speed + Bolts of Lightning)

Moopy's suggestions are solid, though shortbow is just as viable in both games as crossbow and you can pick up the +1 shortbow earlier (and get a +2 one later in BGEE) than the Lightcross Bow of Speed, but both chouces are viable. As I said, it depends a bit on which NPCs (if any) you intend to take along with you and your preferred choice of magic ammo.

If going the crossbow route, you might want to go daggers (which still gives you a ranged weapon) and single weapon fighting at level 1 and then crossbows at level 4, by which time you can probably afford the Light Crossbow of Speed.
    edited February 2013
    The choices @moopy gives are also good for a Bard (am planning something similar for a Jester build, though going shortbows, as I prefer the ammo options). Also will probably use Jan as my Thief in BG2, and he's a crossbow man (well, Gnome).
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited February 2013
    As a pure-class thief I'd avoid 2-weapon style, especially in BG:EE. You can only put 1 point in the weapon style meaning you've got -2 mainhand/-4 offhand which is too steep to be worthwhile.

If you go Swashbuckler you can put 3 points in but as you only get 4 points in the entire of EE it's still not a hands-down winner and can only be used effectively mid-to-late game. In BG2 it makes sense to have a dual-wielding swashy as you start with enough proficiency points rather than getting there very slowly. The only instances in BG:EE where dual wielding is very effective for a thief are for a dual/multiclass fighter/thief.

If you're going to go mainly ranged and occasional backstabbing then either shortbow/crossbow for ranged weapon and quarterstaff/2-handed prof for melee works well. Shortbows get more attacks per round (aside from the light crossbow of speed) but do less damage per hit. Might be worth noting that the variety of magical arrows is probably better than magical bolts.

There's a good variety of quarterstaves in BG:EE and BG2 so they're always a solid choice. Magical shortbows and light crossbows are both alright but a bit meh in BG:EE, but ranged is very strong at low levels anyway.
    BTW there *are* also some nice daggers on BG2 - see: http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/weapons/daggers.html
    @Oxford_Guy

I'd like to see BG2:EE add a dagger with an extra APR like belm/scarlet ninja-to/kudane.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited February 2013
    Unless it's house ruled, you can BS with ANY weapon (but you can only backstab a target once per battle, and only if they aren't aware that a thief is trying to attack them. Once they receive warning about the thief or are backstabbed once, they'll remain on guard for the rest of a battle). I assume limiting Backstab to thief weapons was an attempt to balance the multiple potential backstabs BG allows). (I posted a direct excerpt of the Backstab rules from the hand-book over in...feature requests I think, and doesn't mention anything regarding thief weapons only or a specific damage type.).

A back-stab is a misnomer, which 3rd edition addressed by calling them sneak attacks instead. A backstab is just a precise blow, struck against an unaware foe's weak points from behind (base of the skull, temples, kidney shots, etc). And yes, a sharp jab with a staff or club in the right place can cause just as much internal damage as knife or sword, and in some cases more, since a knife or sword will just puncture an organ relatively cleanly, a staff blow will rupture it all over the place, in addition to several other instances of internal damage, not to mention being more effective at backstabing targets in armor, whose armor would limit the likelihood of penetration, but a blunt weapon's damage would still cause internal damage)

Any Rogue can Dual-wield just fine in BG2 (Druids less so since they can only wield 1 speed weapon, but it does help make up a little for their lack of direct buffs (a cleric just deals so much damage and can buff their thac0 so high they don't need extra attacks to compete), if they dual-wield speed weapons. By then your speed weapon's thac0 will off-set the dual-wielding penalty, and the massive volume of attacks you can put out (8-9 under improved haste, gear depending), allow you to blow through enemies only slightly slower then a fighter would, since you'd lack the little bit of extra damage per hit that specialization/GM gives. Especially if you get UAI and can wield SN as your main hand weapon. While less effective against some boss enemies, you'll tear through enemies not requiring +2 or higher to hit (only applies to some dragons, some undead, and a handful of boss enemies). Most non-boss enemies simply don't have that good of AC, and you'll have a better then 60% chance of hitting most of them per swing.
    Post edited by ZanathKariashi on
  • ar057ar057 Member Posts: 9
    edited February 2013
    Good info here, thanks for the posts.@Oxford_Guy I didn't realise that throwing daggers & axes & slings had a dmg modifier from strength stat. Are throwing daggers the only one of these three that gets 2 APR? If using throwing dagger or axes on a character with single weapon style, will they receive the crit chance bonus? I'd suspect not since they're ranged not melee.
    moopy said:

@Oxford_Guy

I'd like to see BG2:EE add a dagger with an extra APR like belm/scarlet ninja-to/kudane.

Yes, that would like nice in the off-hand
  • moopy said:

@Oxford_Guy

Yes, that would like nice in the off-hand
    Probably wouldn't be hard to mod one into the game if they decide not to push the envelope by introducing more speed weapons. I know the Item Upgrade mod includes a dagger that boosts your backstab multiplier by 1, which makes it a nice off-hand weapon for a backstabber.

ar057 said:

Good info here, thanks for the posts.@Oxford_Guy I didn't realise that throwing daggers & axes & slings had a dmg modifier from strength stat. Are throwing daggers the only one of these three that gets 2 APR

Yes. BTW in BG2 vanilla only throwing axes and one magic sling get the strength bonus, but this might change for BG2EE
    ar057 said:

If using throwing dagger or axes on a character with single weapon style, will they receive the crit chance bonus? I'd suspect not since they're ranged not melee.

No, the weapon style bonuses only work when a weapon is in melee mode.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Don't know if it has been mentioned, but most Undead are immune to Back Stab. Same with slimes (as has been mentioned) which pretty much is most of the monsters that take better damage from blunt weapons. Or am I missing something?

There is a +3 short sword of backstabbing in BG1 which is pretty nice for, well... Backstabbing. just saying.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    moopy said:

@Oxford_Guy

I've got a Feature Requests thread open with a similar request:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15205/improved-offhand-daggers#latest
    @madhax

I like that idea too. I'd like to see that (which is of a defensive nature) but I'd love to see a +4 or +5 end game dagger that is offensive in nature.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited February 2013
    Except the staff +3 (1d6+3 blunt vs 1d6+3 piercing), or even the staff mace +2 (2d4+2 blunt) or god forbid, the staff of striking (1d6+9) deal just as much damage or WAY more, and are more likely to hit vs heavily armored enemies. And the staff +3 could be acquired the moment you get enough money to buy it (doesn't take that long), while the SSoB is acquired very late in the game.

If by most, you mean liches, a handful of named undead, and greater mummies then yes I agree (though backstabbing vampires is a pain in the ass since their ai goes nuts when an undetectable enemy is within 40 ft or so)