Skip to content

Buckley's Buckler Healing Exploit

DragonRiderDragonRider Member Posts: 43
edited January 2013 in Fixed
Bug Details:
Every time you equip and remove Buckley's Buckler on a character who would gain additional hit points from the increased Constitution score, a number of Hit Points equal to the character's level are added to both the character's current HP and Maximum HP. However, when Buckley's Buckler is removed, only the character's maximum HP is reduced by that same number. This allows a player to fully heal some characters by repeatedly equipping and removing Buckley's Buckler.

Example: Dorn at level 5 has 14 CON, and 47 Maximum HP.
Dorn takes 11 points of damage in battle, putting him at 36 HP.
Equipping Buckley's Buckler increases Dorn's current HP to 41 and his Maximum HP to 52.
Removing Buckley's Buckler causes Dorn's current HP to remain at 41, but returns his Maximum HP to 47.
Equip the bucker again and Dorn's HP becomes 46/52
Remove the buckler and Dorn's HP becomes 46/47
Equip it again and Dorn's HP becomes 51/52
Remove it and Dorn's HP becomes 47/47

Expected Behavior:
You should not be able to heal a character by repeatedly equipping and removing Buckley's Buckler. Equipping and removing Buckley's Buckler should only modify a character's Maximum HP.

[If Buckley's Buckler were to modify both current and Maximum HP, then removing the buckler from a severely wounded character might kill that character.]

Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• hzfhzf Member Posts: 70
    edited December 2012
    Current behaviour: When you equip an item that increases your constitution to a value that will increase your hp per level bonus, you gain both current an maximum hp. When you unequip the item, you lose maximum hp but retain current hp. Thus, by repeatedly re-equipping the item you can heal the character to full hp.

Expected behaviour: When you unequip the item your current hp is reduced.
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    Confirmed on a halfling barbarian with Con 18 using Buckley's Buckler.
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    Kill the character how? If i have 1HP, equip the shield, get 6HP, then remove it, I'd only have 1HP again
  • DragonRiderDragonRider Member Posts: 43
    edited December 2012
    I didn't explain that very well, did I? Sorry about that.

I meant to say that if Buckley's Buckler modified both current and Maximum HP on both equip and removal it could be problematic because removing the buckler from a character who gets severely wounded while the buckler is equipped could kill that character:

Example: Dorn at level 5 has 14 CON and 47 Maximum HP.
    Equip Buckler on Dorn, his HP becomes 52/52
    Dorn gets severely wounded and now has 3/52 HP
    Remove Buckley's Buckler from Dorn, Dorn to dies.
    (Removing the buckler would reduce Dorn's current and maximum HP by 5, putting him at -2/47)

There would have to be some coding added to prevent the removal of the shield from reducing a character's current HP below 1.
    Post edited by DragonRider on
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Well, i wouldn't mind killing someone by removing the buckler. Consider the buckler as 'life support'.
  • DragonRiderDragonRider Member Posts: 43
    As long as there is a warning about how removing the 'life support' can cause death in the Buckler's description, that would be an option the developers could go with.

Also, my idea about adding code to prevent the buckler from reducing a character's HP below 1 has a flaw. It could be used to get a few "free" HP.

Dorn is at 3/52 HP
    Remove the buckler, Dorn's HP is now 1/47 (code prevented Dorn's death).
    Equip the Buckler on Dorn, Dorn's HP is now 6/52.

Additional code would need to be added to track the negative HP that removing the buckler would have reduced the character to. If that was done, in the example above, Dorn's HP would go back to 3/52 when re-equipping the buckler, instead of going to 6/52.

Even if they don't track the negative HP, that situation is no where near game breaking as the current behavior. As things stand, there are only a few situations where a character can die while using this exploit:

1) Get turned to stone (doesn't technically kill, but ends the game if it happens to the main character)
    2) Take enough damage in a single hit to kill the character (or multiple simultaneous hits)
    3) Lose control of the character in battle (paralysis, stun, confusion, fear, etc.)
    Hah, this exploit exists in ToB with HELM24 too.
    Ok, people who usually complain when an exploit is killed, prepare your vocal cords and typing fingers.
    This is likely in... next patch.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    I've always wanted to be booed by an angry mob
  • Hardcore_HeroHardcore_Hero Member Posts: 1
    I was going to report this bug. I'm glad to see somebody beat me to it!