Skip to content

All NPCs try to hide in shadows

BollywoodHeroBollywoodHero Member Posts: 89
edited February 2013 in Fixed
I have Imoen, Khalid and Jahiera in my party. J and K are scripted to fighter-defensive; I is scripted to thief-ranged.

Expected behaviour: NONE of the party member attempt to hide in shadows (not even Imoen)

Observed behaviour: All 3 attempt to hide in shadows. Imoen succeeds sometimes; K & J fail every time.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• ktrainer2885ktrainer2885 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem. It is something in the AI script
  • csuzwcsuzw Member Posts: 48
    Current behaviour:
    Character is a Dwarven Fighter/Cleric. Took the quest Errand for Fuller near the start and upon accepting it for some reason my character made a Hide in Shadows attempt and succeeded. Since then at frequent intervals it repeats this check (mostly failing) which is annoying because it stops movement. Reloading or moving between areas does not fix it.

Expected behaviour:
    Fighter/Clerics should not randomly decide they're going to be a Thief and then remain like that apparently indefinitely.
  • SemperSemper Member Posts: 2
    I'll second that for a Paladin (Cavalier).

For me this started after killing the assassin in the priests quarters.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    The problem is with some of the AI scripts.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    I tried setting my cavalier to a thief script, got the same result.

If you could give the cavalier (or other character for that matter) better stealth skills somehow it could actually be an interesting exploit...
    edited November 2012
    Merged the bugreports.
    up
  • csuzwcsuzw Member Posts: 48
    I was using the Fighter Defensive script. I assume this means its broken and I should use something else? Is there a list of scripts I can safely use somewhere?
  • KeithSKeithS Member Posts: 623
    Fighter2 should function correctly as of the next patch.
  • markthesharkmarktheshark Member Posts: 57
    If a NPC's script is turned on, the character will attempt to hide in shadows even if he or she is not a thief. The NPC should only attempt to hide in shadows on her own if she is a thief and that script is enabled.
  • DalrykDalryk Member Posts: 35
    I don't know if this is a 'bug' as such, but it's related to this issue so I'll post it here.

The AI scripts generally seem to be lacking compared to what was available in BG2. Specifically the Thief "scout" (always hide in shadows) and "adventurer" (always search for traps) scripts are missing.

However, it seems like there is some overlap between these scripts and the "defensive" and "ranged" scripts people are complaining about here. Defensive appears to trigger the search for traps skill, and ranged triggers hide in shadows. Neither of these behaviours are mentioned at all in the script descriptions, so I wonder if there has been some confusion?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    csuzw said:

Current behaviour:
    Character is a Dwarven Fighter/Cleric. Took the quest Errand for Fuller near the start and upon accepting it for some reason my character made a Hide in Shadows attempt and succeeded. Since then at frequent intervals it repeats this check (mostly failing) which is annoying because it stops movement. Reloading or moving between areas does not fix it.

Expected behaviour:
    Fighter/Clerics should not randomly decide they're going to be a Thief and then remain like that apparently indefinitely.

Have you tried going into "customise" on the character screen (hit R) then going to AI script and selecting none?
  • Proto77Proto77 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,
    I would like to point out this freaky little bug: after setting the "fighter defensive" script on Khalid, he tries to hide in shadows as if he was a thief with the "thief defensive" script.
    Did anyone else notice that too?
  • DemiGothDemiGoth Member Posts: 44
    Yeah, kinda an annoying bug indeed...

I'd also like to add that when a rogue is under 50% HP, (s)he keeps trying to HiS constantly. Even when the HiS has succeeded, a new try is attempted.
  • enbalminationenbalmination Member Posts: 11
    I don't remember if this is in vanilla BG or not but heres my problem.

Imoen will constantly try to hide in shadows, and will stop after each attempt. If I have her walking she will stop everything and I will have to click her to move again.

Is this normal?

Thanks
  • OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    If you use one of the thief scripts it will cause this behavior. If you don't want her to do that just give her a standard ranged attack script and manually do hide in shadows.
    gotcha, I will do that, but is it the right behavior that she quits walking ?
  • OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    I don't know if this is the 'right' or intended behavior but this is something that has happened since vanilla BG. It would be cool if she could attempt hide in shadows and continue to go where you had sent her.
    cool, thanks