Skip to content

illusionist/thief backstab x3 hits like x2 ??

sivistojkosivistojko Member Posts: 30
edited February 2013 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
HI again everyone, I'm playing as illusionist/thief on easiest difficulty to test damage. With Drizzt's skimitars and 22 str i hit for 23 damage. Critical hit is 46 damage, but backstab x3 hits for only 46, same as critical hit. Critical backstabs hit for 92. I'm playing illusionist/thief all the time now for the past 2 days (bg:ee) and i'm getting same numbers every time. I dont get it where is the problem?

thanks again

Comments

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Are you testing this out on your own party members? That could be causing the difficulty to mess with your damage taken. If not, what ARE you testing this out on?
  • sivistojkosivistojko Member Posts: 30
    I'm testing this while playing through all 7 chapters in BG:EE on all mobs. Played several times now from the beginning to the end and damage always behaves on the same way. Never tried to hit my party members.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Strength damage isn't multiplied for a backstab. You're getting +10 damage from strength, so your max damage otherwise would be 13. 13x3+10=49, pretty much what you're seeing.
    Aha! But that's stupid. Strength should be included in the backstab damage. This way im just doing critical hits and that not good enough reason to play thief. At this point, it is much better overall to play fighter in BG1.
    edited February 2013
    I think you're underestimating the thief. Sure, you only do as much as a critical hit with a backstab, but unlike a critical hit, you can backstab on command. Also, even if you don't backstab at all, a thief is useful to have in your party just for picking locks and disarming traps.

Also, out of curiousity, how'd you get 22 strength?
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for your reply @TJ_Hooker, I'll keep playing it but in general i have had more fun playing fighter/ilusionist then Illusionist /thief. I got all stats up to 22 simply by playing several playthroughs and upon creating new char I would import the old one.
    If you're looking for uber backstabs, try using the Staff of Striking (1d6+9 damage). Each hit uses up a charge, but if you sell it before using up all the charges, you can buy it back fully charged.