Skip to content

Does anyone restrict themselves from visiting Ulgoth's Beard too early?

2»

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Personally I don't feel visiting Ulgoth's Beard is appropriate until Chapter 5, but obviously YMMV.

At a convenient time in that Chapter, I'll typically take an excursion to UB for the Ice Island and Isle of Balduran quests. I usually leave all of Durlag's Tower until Chapter 7, although right now in my current run (near the end of Chapter 5) I'm thinking (haven't decided yet) about the idea of tackling Durlag's upper levels now and just leaving his dungeon for Chapter 7.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

I do. Is there something strange/ubelievable about it?

No, I was just thinking it doesn't really make sense RP-wise to go there early and potentially opens up access to items that are a bit OP early on. I think I'm going to restrict myself from visiting this until after Cloakwood from now on.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Not really. There are some relatively powerful items available there, but that is ostensibly to give you a bit of help with the ToSC quests.
  • BazzaBazza Member Posts: 57
    What they could've done was only make it accessible from the northern edge of wyrm's crossing on the baldur's gate side of the bridge, then you would have to have done cloakwood first.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Bazza said:

What they could've done was only make it accessible from the northern edge of wyrm's crossing on the baldur's gate side of the bridge, then you would have to have done cloakwood first.

Yes. That's how I remember it being in original BG1, and that restriction made sense. However, I was using a couple of community fixpacks (although not actual mods), so I'm not sure whether this restriction existed in the bugs-and-all game.

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Bazza said:

Yes, I think that would be a good idea
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I never quite understood why people would want changes like this to the game - thus forcing everyone to abide by whatever it is THEY think is the proper way to play/design the game/whatever - the next post should then be one suggesting it should be toggle - sigh...