Skip to content

After BG:EE ships

charmercharmer Member Posts: 15
Hi.

First off, I pre-ordered :).

I understand that what we will see in BG:EE is pretty much set at this point. So allow me to muse on what could happen next as I believe the sales will warrant future endeavours.

1) Some DLCs are planned. I hope that some of the existing big mods that I never got to play (Shadows over Soubar comes to mind) will get some attention as there is a ton of new quality content for BG that has been created by the community at Spellhold Studios or Gibberlings3 websites in the past decade. Not sure if such mods could be released officially but if Overhaul Games and the modders got to work together somehow, I'm sure many people here would be happy, including myself. Also, stuff from the Unfinished Business mod is something maybe workable for a DLC. I am, however, not hugely knowledgeable about the current state of affairs in this, maybe some of you know more?

2) For me, one of the ideas for a DLC, would be to tie BG1 and BG2. I'm not sure if some storyline exists at all for that period or how long was that period but I think at least a small DLC could be possible. Or between SoA and ToB for that matter...

3) Many speculate about BG3. In my opinion, BG2:ToB ended quite conclusively to require further expansion. However, Shadows of Amn had "Baldur's Gate" in its name just for the sake of brand, right? So, I think BG3 is a placeholder for another big game in the Forgotten Realms universe, which would be far less restrictive but would allow to tie in known locations and/or character to the new project.

What I'd like to add though is that I remember from when I was playing IE games, I was amazed by the BG series, slightly underwhelmed by IWD (which I hadn't even finish) but I was blown away by Planescape:Torment. My point being that for me and many other fans, few RPG games surpass BG but fewer still surpass Torment.

Therefore, I suggest the next overhauled game be PS:T and "BG3" aims for the Planescape universe, which, unless I'm mistaken, includes Forgotten Realms anyway, right? Or maybe FR include Planescape? Anyway, I believe that Planescape as a setting is woefully unexplored in video games and if BG:EE is a success, Planescape is a perfect opportunity to base a "BG3" project upon.

Please fill me in if I confused some things or overlooked something that is already known.

Thank you for comments.

Comments

• Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Baldurs gate is an entirely different setting to Planescape, so it wouldnt really make sense to call a game set in planescape BG3.

They could do a different D&D RPG set in the planescape universe of course. I think trent has actually mentioned that if they did a third game it would likely be a prequal or perhaps an "offshoot" story or something.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2012
    charmer said:

Not sure if such mods could be released officially but if Overhaul Games and the modders got to work together somehow, I'm sure many people here would be happy, including myself. Also, stuff from the Unfinished Business mod is something maybe workable for a DLC. I am, however, not hugely knowledgeable about the current state of affairs in this, maybe some of you know more?

Currently the only mod which is going to be implemented in BG:EE is 1PP of Erephine. Though I can tell you that alot of Modders from the modding community are at this forum, exchanging infromtaion with the devs so it will be easier to create new mods in the future. about Implementing Existing Mods there is also the issue of IP, Which some people here can explain better than I.
    charmer said:

2) For me, one of the ideas for a DLC, would be to tie BG1 and BG2. I'm not sure if some storyline exists at all for that period or how long was that period but I think at least a small DLC could be possible. Or between SoA and ToB for that matter...

Have been discussed serval times over few threads, here is one of them

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/21104/#Comment_21104
    charmer said:

3) Many speculate about BG3. In my opinion, BG2:ToB ended quite conclusively to require further expansion. However, Shadows of Amn had "Baldur's Gate" in its name just for the sake of brand, right? So, I think BG3 is a placeholder for another big game in the Forgotten Realms universe, which would be far less restrictive but would allow to tie in known locations and/or character to the new project.

Also there is this big thread about this same topic, better discussed there so you post wont get hijacked

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1542/the-potential-for-baldurs-gate-iii-spoilers-from-bg1-2-within/p1
    charmer said:

Therefore, I suggest the next overhauled game be PS:T and "BG3" aims for the Planescape universe, which, unless I'm mistaken, includes Forgotten Realms anyway, right? Or maybe FR include Planescape? Anyway, I believe that Planescape as a setting is woefully unexplored in video games and if BG:EE is a success, Planescape is a perfect opportunity to base a "BG3" project upon.

Right now Beamdong dont have the rights on Iwd1/2 and Ps:T , but they clearly stated that they are interested to Enhanced them too.

I agree and disagree on that subject. I do think that PS:T should be getting enhanced much more than IWD/IWD2, PS:T is beautiful game and its story is a Masterpiece, though it doesnt get the credit it deserves - Enhancement is seriously required for this one, though I think its less successful because its more story-driven game then action-driven, not all people attract to heavy-text games.

Regarding the settings of BG3, I think one of the reasons that BGS is so successful is because it set in Faerun - which is more familiar to the D&D players, And I dont think I should be changed.

BTW, Welcome! :)

• Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    oh, and to clarify on the FR being in planescape, its not as far as Im aware.

Forgotten Realms is the setting for the BG series, and Planescape is the setting for PS:T.. I suppose in a way it could just be called Torment
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Problem with a new Planescape game might be that the Obsidian guys (Chris Avellone and his team) are contemplating work on a sequel (whether "official" or not remains to be seen). Ps:T - Enhanced might be a viable option for Beamdog, but I wouldn't start on a full new game set there until Obsidian's plans have become clearer.
  • charmercharmer Member Posts: 15
    Oh right, must have mixed the Planes with Faerun. The elemental planes and other unusual planes of existence we get to visit in BG2 were somehow familiar with similar places in Torment for me.

I sniffed around a little and found that Obsidian indeed went to put up a poll for a potential Kickstarter project to fund a sequel to Torment. But it was back in February I think and now it seems they aim to go for the Wheel of Time remake instead. Also, the fact Kickstarter is fixed to a single funding method and only available in US IMHO hurts the prospects of such a project a lot. Oh well, guess we need to wait for now...

Anyway, even though I'd prefer to go to overhaul Torment after GB:EE is out, as far as BG3 project is concerned, it seems Forgotten Realms alone offer enough diversity to allow to go for a Torment-like game if the project leaders decided to pursuit such a goal, i.e. story-driven adventure where decisions matter, your companions have depth of character, and different playing styles are supported. We kind of had that in BG too but only those familiar with both sagas would really understand the plea, right ;)?