Skip to content

I have no Mage, should I dual Imoen?

I have no Mage in my party (lv 6), PC Monk, Dorn, Shar-teel, Viconia, Jahira, Imoen. Is it necessary to have a mage? I kinda like what I have, if I d/c Imoen, it means I have to d/c Shar-teel as well.

Story-wise I have just finished Cloakwood Mines (still have the plug key for some reason, bug maybe?) and I'm headed to BG, but I have alot of exploring to do before I go to BG.

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    FiachKampri
  • FiachFiach Member Posts: 231
    Bhaaldog said:

Well it is not necessary to have a mage, you already have access to magic via the cleric and druid. However I would strongly recommend to have at least one in your party.

OK, thanks for that, maybe I'll dual them and go chainkill some ankhegs for a bit to level them faster.

Thanks again :)

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    A mage is not needed sort of in the way a dentist isn't needed to pull teeth; sure anyone can do it, but you'll probably be a lot happier with the expert...

Kidding aside (and no, that wasn't really the best analogy), a mage brings a lot to the table; some things no one else can do, and some things are just easier with a mage around (crowd control magic, and fast spells like MM). If nothing else, identifying all the magic stuff you find! And of course Imoen makes an excellent mage.
    ErgKampriLilacor
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    That would depend? Have you dualed Shar-Teel to thief? If you have, then you should dual Imoen, but if not, I would keep her as your thief. It is better to be without a mage than without a thief, but two thieves are too many (IMO).
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    I actually feel better playing with two thieves, but at least one of them is typically a multiclass.
    edited February 2013
    Fardragon said:

That would depend? Have you dualed Shar-Teel to thief? If you have, then you should dual Imoen, but if not, I would keep her as your thief. It is better to be without a mage than without a thief, but two thieves are too many (IMO).

As I mentioned in the first post, I have neither Imoen or Shar dualed, but if I dual Imoen, I would have to dual Shar, so I guess I'll go ahead and dual them.

Whats the best mage speciality for Imoen, any suggestions?

@atcDave, I actually liked that analogy :)

Thanks for the replies :)

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited February 2013
    You can't choose a specialty when dual classing (it counts as a kit). Imoen can only be a pure mage.

Personally, I would do without a mage if I was in your situation, as level 6 is a bit late to dual class Shar Teel (I do it at 3), and you would be thiefless for quite some time.

Actually I would probably just ditch Jalhera and pick up [redacted].
    Fiach
    Fardragon said:

You can't choose a specialty when dual classing (it counts as a kit). Imoen can only be a pure mage.

Personally, I would do without a mage if I was in your situation, as level 6 is a bit late to dual class Shar Teel (I do it at 3), and you would be thiefless for quite some time.

Actually I would probably just ditch Jalhera and pick up [redacted].

Thats a fair point, maybe go get Ed, I thought I read some post somewhere that suggested choosing a particular speciality mage type for Imoen, but all I could see was "mage" and no other choice, thanks Fardragon :)

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I normally wouldn't travel without one in this game. Unless I seek a challenge that somehow involves not having one.

In BG1 you can get away without one, although it makes things tougher. In BG2 much, much tougher.
    Fiach
    Lemernis said:

I normally wouldn't travel without one in this game. Unless I seek a challenge that somehow involves not having one.

In BG1 you can get away without one, although it makes things tougher. In BG2 much, much tougher.

Yes, but I just liked the ensemble I had and would have preferred not to change anything, but anyway, we have Ed and we're kicking ass and taking names in the Stronghold, he has evermemory and Magi robes so I can see the difference in combat already.

Thanks for the reply :)