Skip to content

[spell request] flight and teleportation

wendigowendigo Member Posts: 46
Both spells are at high levels, then there is the suggestion for BG2 too.

1 - spell "teleportation" facilitate the movement (without losing consecutive days) between distant locations.

edited: Dimensional Lock (another high-level spell that prevents teleportation within a certain area) would resolve any plot issues with this spell. the question is to facilitate the transport of long distance without losing playing time. when cast magic, the world map will be shown and you can teleport to areas that already have been.

2 - spell "flight": a favorite for mage spells. would probably be difficult in the current engine, but it gets the request. with it, the magician would be less subject to death and could be attacking from the top without being subject to attacks from melee.

ps: theoretically, the dragons should be most difficult to kill, because if they were dying, just would fly away. lol. but I know the possible difficulties in implementing the magic engine in flight. not hurt to try. lol.
Post edited by wendigo on

Comments

• HominicusHominicus Member Posts: 7
    1 - Ever heard of "Dimension Door"?

2 - Well for me, Baldur's Gate just isn't a game for flying. You still can get high nevertheless, if you know what i mean ;)
  • cyberhoracyberhora Member Posts: 10
    1 - Ever heard of "Dimension Door"?

2 - Well for me, Baldur's Gate just isn't a game for flying. You still can get high nevertheless, if you know what i mean ;)
    I think he means a teleportation spell that allows you to travel betwenn different areas, and not just blink a small distance within the same map. Could be wrong though. I knida support this thought, but it needs to be attained at a high level in order to not ruin the experience of adventuring.

The flight thing just sounds wierd to me.

• wendigowendigo Member Posts: 46
    edited June 2012
    1- @Hominicus, I means like @cyberhora says.

2-would be realistic if there was magic flight, but the flight realy can cause some throuble. but it costs nothing to dream. lol. maybe a BG3? ^^
    If there were Teleportation spell, that would allow you to travel between locations you would be able to move from the Underdark / Sahuagin city back to Athkatla. And there are many other situations that would interfere with the story, just think about it, you get locked in the maze, Bodhi is after you, and you just teleport out of it without significant consequences...
    I remember the Underdark and in the case of bodhi there was a spell that prevents teleportation. after all, are special areas. if you are wrong, a warning would suffice that the magic would not work due to the location to prevent such effects

• KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    Lore wise teleportation over great distances already exists. There are references to them in the Ice Island quest chain.

It wouldn't be entirely unreasonable for these spells to fail when teleporting in or out of the underdark/sahuagin city since there is a lot of rock in the way. Similarly in spell hold such spells would certainly be dampened and on Ice Island it's impossible due to anomalies in the weave or something.

On the otherhand finding scrolls to do it might be more difficult and its perfedtly reasonable that they're too rare for us to stumble across.
    edited June 2012
    @ zakeros, I format the post based on what you said (teletrasporte influencing the story). its insightful. lol

@ kore, I remember this issue of icy island. n remember why not operate inside out (after all, who got caught is because the island gets used teleportation). I do not think there has influenced tons of rocks or you're wet (already played tabletop RPG). also do not remember a spell of teleportation to be rare in "forgotten realms". this is something that someone else inside the history of the scenario could respond.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I like the idea of teleportation. Dimensional Lock (another high-level spell that prevents teleportation within a certain area) would resolve any plot issues with this spell.

Suggested Implementation:
    When you cast "Teleport", you are immediately shown the world map, allowing you to travel to any location you have previously visited. This does not allow you to travel to places you have never visited, nor does it allow you to travel away from a location if you do not know where it is - for example, you couldn't teleport out of the Underdark because you don't know, geographically, where your starting point is.

Otherwise, the spell works just like traveling normally, except that the travel time is always "0 hours".
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    Gameplay wise are there any dungeons that this might trivialise? Unless Candlekeep Catacombs are dimensionally locked it would potentially trivialise them (although the jokes on them since they miss out on super snazzy loot) since the whole aim of that dungeon is to break your way out of it.
    Well, Teleport is a level 6 spell - so it's a non-issue for BG1.

That said, I would certainly say that the Candlekeep Catacombs - and anywhere in Candlekeep, for that matter - should be under the effects of Dimensional Lock, the better to prevent book-thieves from escaping.
    edited June 2012
    i agree with you @aosaw. thats the idea!!!i edited the post with your points
    Another idea, to add to this:

Add a spell "focus" to the spell, so that in order to cast it you have to have a Rogue Stone in your inventory. Whether or not the spell should consume the gem in the process, I don't have an answer to; but that would be a nice RP-centric limiting factor.
    i think dimensional lock is fine. the mage probably not fly, anyway. lol
  • nulspacenulspace Member Posts: 100
    I'm going to be the nitpicky guy who disagrees with you here, if only for the sake of debate :D Don't take anything personally!

I don't think "teleport" would be an important spell to implement. Why?

The first reason is necessity, which I don't think exists. In terms of being above-ground, there is already instant travel from the edge of any area. With that in mind, I'm assuming that you're thinking about teleporting from within a dungeon, yes?

Excluding Candlekeep (as @aosaw suggested), that leaves only a few dungeons with more than one level: Durlag's Tower, Nashkel Mines & Cloakwood Mines. Any other dungeon I would consider minor, which really doesn't justify a powerful teleportation spell.

The second reason comes about because of the dungeons themselves; Baldur's Gate is special as a game because it's not all dungeon-crawling, hack-n-slash Diablo-esque gameplay. The dungeons are few and far between, but when you get to them and really get in them, you start feeling some really powerful immersive emotions: fear, excitement, dread, exhaustion. The further you travel into a dungeon, espeically without knowing how far or deep it goes, the more you doubt you'll be able to carry your equipment, the more you think that you won't get out alive, etc, etc. Introducing a "get out of jail free" teleportation spell (a la Scroll of Town Portal from Diablo) completely negates that feeling.

I think a spell with that capability has an important place in a neverending dungeon crawler like Torchlight or Diablo, but not in BG.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Well, just to nitpick your nitpick, a Teleport spell would be helpful when you're dealing with time restricted quests (since transportation would be instantaneous). But I wouldn't say that a Teleport spell is that needed.
    Well, also as I pointed out, Teleport in PnP is a level 6 spell, meaning it would be beyond the abilities of a BG1 character anyway.

For the most part, it's a convenience thing - you cast the spell so that you don't have to walk to the edge of the map, or because you want to get to your destination at the same time of day, or because you don't want to increase the length of your adventure (in terms of game-world time, not real-time).

So it's a high-level spell that mostly serves to expedite gameplay at a point where you might want it. I think it would be a neat thing to have as well, for the purposes of showing how powerful you've become.

Granted, I don't know how important this feature is, or that it's even necessary. I do think it would be fun from an RP perspective, which is good enough for me. ;)
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    I agree with @Aosaw here.
    It should also be noted that the spell wouldn't be very complicated to design, either. Use the spell animation from Dimension Door (most spellcasters in-game do anyway), duplicate the animation for everyone in the party (maybe summoned creatures as well), and then just display the world map (and pause the game as well). When the destination is selected, the travel time is reduced to 0 hours.

Set the casting time to be long enough to make it not an ideal choice during combat, and call it good.
    @Aosaw, I can definitely see how the inclusion of a spell like this at a high level would reflect how powerful you've become, and the benefits of that. I think in that case, when the spell becomes available late-game, the player would have already experienced the immersive emotions I talked about, so they'd actually appreciate the ability to teleport!

In my opinion it would be much better suited to an 8th level slot; generally 8th level spells aren't available until after the underdark anyway, which would make it available for Watcher's keep, and jetting around all the previously-visited areas.

Good insight!
    Well, if you want it to be available only after the Underdark, all you have to do is put the first scroll of Teleport in a container that you can't get to until after you leave the Underdark. That elven camp would be a good spot.

The spell's not powerful enough to warrant an 8th-level spell slot, though. In PnP the spell is level 6, and I think that's probably high enough considering what the spell does.
    @Aosaw fair enough. It'll be interesting to see if devs consider something like this.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Well, a spell that do what ctrl+J cheat key do would be awersome and i would even remove the Debug Mode=1 from baldurs.ini XD (don't like cheat very much but after some playtroughs that help to keep a game interest).
    Well, just to nitpick your nitpick, a Teleport spell would be helpful when you're dealing with time restricted quests (since transportation would be instantaneous). But I wouldn't say that a Teleport spell is that needed.
    thats the point.

@aosaw, i agreen when you says "complicated to design" and its not so important. the reason is just aprimorate the game and make more realistic. but, i agree is dispensable.

but if implemented, lvl6 is enough.

the idea is also do waht @kamuizin say. old gamers whants teleportation to facilites theirs lives... lol

• carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    Flight is obviously a no-go, but the teleportation should be do-able if someone is willing to put in the work of flagging the appropriate locations so as to prevent quest-breakage.