Skip to content

Fighter/Druid, Avenger, or something else?

Hello all! Now that the new iPad patch is out, I will be starting another evil game. Here are the NPCs I know I want on my team:

Dorn (Two-handed sword)
Shar-Teel (dual to Thief and go crazy daggers)
Baeloth (so much magic! Plus he looks fun)
Viconia (Sling and healing)

And I am trying to decide between Eldoth and/or Montaron for that last spot, though probably Eldoth since I've rarely used him before.

For CHARNAME I am trying to decide between Avenger or Fighter/Druid. Here are my considerations:
Avenger Pros:
- With the new patch, can now wear the Ankheg armor
- Chromatic Orb and some of the other spells are very good later on, CHAIN LIGHTNING being amazing (I realize I will have to wait until BG2EE to use it however)
- The shapeshifts are nice
- Doesn't need the Con tome, so I can fork it over to Dorn who would really love it.

Avenger Cons:
- LOW chance of ever dualing over to Fighter (it is unlikely that I will start with 16 Strength and get the tome for 17, as Druids need stats elsewhere. Shar-Teel will probably get the Strength tome unless I roll amazingly)
- Not great with weapons
- Not as many HPs
- Some of the bonus spells aren't that great (I think that Web and Lightning Bolt are kind of crappy because I can mess up my party too easily)

Fighter/Druid Pros:
- Decent at Fighting (can specialize and get extra attacks), decent at healing/berries, other spells
- The Druid will level up really quickly later on, so I will get to those (not bonus) spells not too far behind an Avenger
- More Armor Versatility, I don't HAVE to rely on Ankheg plate in BG2EE and I can use Tamoko's armor eventually (minor point until BG2EE)
- I can actually start with a decent strength and maybe benefit from that tome

Fighter/Druid Cons:
- Slow to get that first Level up
- Not too many great weapon choices (+2 Club and Icingdeath IIRC, unless I go Quarterstaff but I probably won't)
- Feels like a Jaheria ripoff
- RIDICULOUS to roll great stats for because of that 15 Charisma

Which of these would you suggest I choose for this party? Or perhaps something different? Bear in mind, I have recently played a Cleric and a Mage, so I would like to do something Fighter-ey or Druid-y. I suppose I don't have to be a druid, but I thought it would work nicely with that group.
Let me know what you think!

Comments

• griever0483griever0483 Member Posts: 129
    edited January 2013
    Get a Berseker dualed at level seven to druid. In this way you can also reach grandmastery in scimiitars (a pure fighter don't): your charname will have 2.5 attack per round (3.5 if you use two weapons style) and access to level 5 druid spell (you can cast two level five spells per day if you reach 21 wisdom with the help of tomes).
    A berseker druid is not only decent in close combat fighting...is better than a pure fighter and can cast a lot of spells!
  • I agree with your skepticism about Lightning Bolt (I'm not a huge fan of Chromatic Orb either), but Web is gold, especially because level 2 is normally such a dead level for Druids. Have Dorn use Spider's Bane and have everyone else stand back with ranged weapons and you're set.

That said, your current party set up is slightly on the squishy side, so I could see the benefit of going Fighter/Druid for better AC and HP.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    @griever0482
    I only have one problem with that idea. It is so hard to roll good stats for a Fighter dualed over to druid (needs 15 Strength, 17 Wisdom and 17 Charisma). I tried to roll a decent fighter with those stats for 45 minutes once and got nothing close (that still had the potential to be a decent character as well).

@Kaigen
    Chromatic Orb is great later on, as it can shut down a fighter or monster who is being pesky (and it can be more useful than a Cure Light Wounds sometimes). I actually really like that strategy for Web, and I might do it while also putting the ring of Free Action on my main character, and have Eldoth and Baeloth peg them from the back. And yes, my party is squishy but I am hoping that I do enough ridiculous fast damage to compensate (I used Kagain and Montaron in my last evil playthrough, but I want to try out Eldoth and Shar-Teel this time.)
  • NeonfiskNeonfisk Member Posts: 75
    edited January 2013
    From your description of what you want to play I would advice against playing as Avenger. Avengers feel more like a druid/mage hybrid and not much of a frontline type (which it sounds like you are looking for). I would definetly look at what @griever0483 said about dual-classing - solid advice.

About choice of weapon: quaterstaffs are actually really good in BG:EE with two of +3 quality (one of which is the most damaging weapon in BG:EE).
    The Dagger of Venom can be fun too, but it looks like Shar-Teel will be using that.
    There isn't really any "wrong" weapon choices, but something like Icingdeath will obviously be stronger than a +2 club.
    Post edited by Neonfisk on
    Yes free action + web is a great strategy (but I don't know why but i consider it like cheese). I have a berseker/druid. I have all 18 in stats all but intelligence (4). I have to admit I rolled for an hour per day for three days. But the actual roll total is a great help
    @Neonfisk
    I see what you mean about Druid/Mage hybrid, I suppose I was just always wanting to use those kits a little more. I have an Avenger in Black Pits and no mage, which I almost always have, so he really is filling two slots. Yes Shar-Teel will be using the Dagger of Venom, it looks so tempting. I probably won't use Quarterstaves as I am playing a Beastmaster currently who fights with Quarterstaves and I don't want near identical fighting styles/proficiencies/stats (especially since my Beastmaster plans on dualing to Cleric in BG2EE). I am thinking about Scimitar or Club for sure, perhaps both and dual wield.

@griever0483
    Ugh that is a LOOOT of rolling. I would be willing to roll a lot for it if it is actually achievable, feasible, and good in combat, Curious, what is your percent strength? (18/??) Also, while 4 int makes sense for a Berserker, won't Mind Flayers in BG2 murder me in one hit? Or does Berserking make you immune to their Intelligence damage?
  • NeonfiskNeonfisk Member Posts: 75
    Talking about using Web: spiders are immune to it. With the recent patch Avengers spider form is also immune to it.
    Have Baeloth learn Spider Spawn, give Dorn Spider Bane, give Ring of Free Action to Shar-Teel, spam Web all over the place, Viconia lowers saves with Doom, summon lots of spiders, have tons of fun.

Any mage can spam Web but it just feels so "right" to do it with Avengers.
    + you can shapeshift and join the action...
    @toanwrath My strenght is 18/57. If you want I have a save at the beginning of game. I can e-mail it for you. Regarding Mind Flayer... they will destroy you :P However it's not a problem for me because I will never import a fighter dualed at level 7 in BG2. In Bg2 i always import a pure fighter (or berseker) and dual him at level 13.
    @Neonfisk
    Aw man that sounds awesome! Now I want to fight Sarevok with a Spider-like army...

@griever0483
    Unfortunate about those Mind Flayers, but I can always just stand back and have Dorn kill them (or set lots of traps). I don't think I will need the save, but after rolling for only 10 minutes I managed to get almost what I wanted (accidentally skipped over a near perfect guy, but I got over my initial frustration). Clearly it is possible, just time consuming.
    Alright, giving it a rest for a while. I had a 90 total stored, then when clicking reroll (I have been doing so on and off for the last half hour) I accidentally clicked accept and suddenly had a character who sucked. D'oh! Oh well, my Druid might not be on an evil team or at least I'll try again later.
  • SindyanSindyan Member Posts: 146
    At the cap of bgee what will a dual class druid be? I'll dual the berseker once I hit level 7.

I'm looking to create a berseker/druid with two handed weapon++, spears ++, and quarter staff ++. I'm looking to take him to TOB.
    (I like those weapons for looks and role playing reasons)
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Berserker 7/Druid 9 is probably the strongest build in BG:EE with insect plague, Ironskins and GM Scimitar.

I rolled for quite a while to get the 93 odd that is needed for it but totally worth it.
    Thanks! I'm glad I'm only still one level behind a pure. I just like the idea of a true staff wielding (spear also) druid. In the old dnd books there via a druid concept that gives them a fighting style "oak heart"
  • hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    From a powergaming perspective the F/D Multi is the best option considering the whole saga.
    He has the same spells ( and almost as much slots) as a pure Druid, plus he is the better fighter, has access to both HLA pools and is even a better shapeshifter (Elemental shapeshift with fighter THAC0 and fighter HLA) than the Shapeshifter kit or the Avenger.
    In the scope of BG-EE only, as mentioned already, the Berserker 7 -> Druid 9 would be pretty powerful.
    Either with ** TWF and ***** Scimitar or
    ** THW and ***** Quarterstaff.
    Nevertheless an Avenger Druid should be fun to play, the web spell + spider shapeshift combo is nice as are the other added spells. He would be more of a mage type character with some frontline ability in shapeshift form. Plus he isn't in need of great ability scores :) 18 in Wis should suffice, the physical stats are delivered through the shapeshifts.
    Cool thanks!
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    When considering the whole saga a fighter/druid multi can be painful mid-late SoA due to the level 14 "cap" in SoA. Getting past it with a multi takes a crazily long time.

Anyone who uses Jaheira in BG2 should be familiar with this. She effectively stops advancing for a very long period.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    i did an avenger play through with neera, khalid, jahiera, kivan and imoen, where kivan took spiders bane and i gave khalid the ring of free action. my avenger would spam web, use a lot of dooms and chromatic orbs. improved invisibility at lvl 4 also buffs your front liners nicely (attackers against them receive a -4 to attack rolls and they receive a +4 bonus to saving throws against spells)

then if you really want to go to town: cast web, cast ironskins and improved invisibility on self, haste & shape shift to sword spider.

5 attacks per round, free action from sword spider, bonus to saving throw, damage avoidance etc...it's a tasty BG:EE end-game combo