Skip to content

I failed with Edwin :(

Well i talked with edwin before rescuing dynaheir.

I went with Edwin and minsc to rescue her and it turned a mortal combat scene or Edwin leaving.

So i reloaded a previous game, i left Edwin in the INN and i rescued Dynaheir.

But now if i join Edwin again the kill quest is still active and when the time passes he quits me.

Any way to get him back? i rly like him <3

Comments

• moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    To keep Edwin you either have to kill Dynaheir, or have a really high charisma and convince Minsc/Dynaheir and Edwin to play nice.
  • GaNoNGaNoN Member Posts: 151
    moopy said:

To keep Edwin you either have to kill Dynaheir, or have a really high charisma and convince Minsc/Dynaheir and Edwin to play nice.

i tried that, i have 18 char and when i was saving her it didnt work :S

Hmmm... I thought that worked, sorry. Let me see if I can get it to work where you can keep all 3.
  • GaNoNGaNoN Member Posts: 151
    moopy said:

Hmmm... I thought that worked, sorry. Let me see if I can get it to work where you can keep all 3.

the method its supposed to be:
    1. get minsc.
    2. Rescue Dynaheir
    3.Talk to edwin (He will join to keep an eye on Dynaheir)

But if u talk first with edwin ur kinda screwed.

Try getting minsc then edwin then dynaheir. thats what i did and on chat i couldnt do anything when rescuing dynaheir.

Ah, I was remembering wrong. My bad. Thanks.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Basically, you need to get rid of Minsc. As long as he's in the party, he and Edwin will fight eventually. Dynaheir and Edwin can cooperate through to the end of the game.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    shawne said:

Basically, you need to get rid of Minsc. As long as he's in the party, he and Edwin will fight eventually. Dynaheir and Edwin can cooperate through to the end of the game.

Yet more reasons why Minsc sucks.

*Runs*
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    It doesn't make any sense that you can keep Edwin and Dynaheir in a party without Minsc. It's Edwin's mission to kill her. What would stop him from simply killing her during rest? He doesn't care who gets the job done or how. In an otherwise evil party, he'd probably also assume that the others will rather keep him than her and it's safe to attack her openly. He's very forgiving when it comes to killing Dynaheir, too. If you pick the "I trust neither of you" option and kill her anyway, you can ask him to join again and he'll give you the "reward" as if you had killed her right away ("nothing personal, deal is deal" option on Dynaheir).
    @KidCarnival: I think it's because if you accept Dynaheir into your party, she's suddenly willing to put her mission on hold (the implication being that you were the subject of her investigation all along). Edwin doesn't know what she's up to, and if Minsc is gone he figures he can kill her any time, but first he wants to find out why she came to the Sword Coast in the first place.
    The dialogues imply that he doesn't care what her mission is. Dynaheir calls him out on wanting to kill her and not even knowing why.

I don't mind breaking up paired NPCs, because there are many reasons why one would stay behind or legitimately get killed on the mission. But I do consider it an exploit to force group NPCs that are obviously not meant to be in the same party. Sure there are ways to keep Ajantis in a party with any of the evil NPCs he would normally attack, ways to get Edwin play nice with Dynaheir (or Neera) and so on, but from the backstories, these NPCs would not do that and it's a bit an immersion breaker.
    In fairness, most of the BG1 NPCs are so thinly-drawn that it's really just a matter of interpretation - for example, is Ajantis the type of paladin who would concede to working with evil party members in service of a greater good (ie: preventing the war with Amn)? Does the PC's explicit protection of Neera prevent Edwin from risking his own neck to go after her? Who can say?
    Yeah, I tend to take BG2 and the more fleshed out versions into consideration. Not all NPCs get the benefit of that.
    I see Ajantis as a much, much younger version of Keldorn, kinda the well-intentioned extremist. There is a chance he'll fight evil party members, so I would say he probably tries to convince himself t's worth it to tolerate them, but can't bring himself to follow through with it once he gets to know them and sees they aren't worth it/have no interest in redemption/are on this quest for the wrong reasons. (Maybe he also peeked through a hole in the fourth wall and knows you will recruit someone else - maybe someone more to his liking - if he eliminates the evil party members.)
    Edwin is mainly concerned with himself. Even after he - probably, it's implied - becomes an outcast, he is still proud of being a Red Wizard. He would take any chance to raise in ranks with his own people. He doesn't consider the party as his people, so I doubt charname's opinion on anything matters to him. A reason I can see for him to hold back is his lawful alignment. He gave charname his word to serve for one year, and being lawful, he would likely keep his promise and follow the lead. Or he wants to study Neera's powers on his own, to later look better in front of his peers.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    edited January 2013
    Quartz said:

shawne said:

Yet more reasons why Minsc sucks.

*Runs*
    /agrees

but at least he has a hamster. hamsters are cool. though they don't squeak. they don't ever squeak. they hiss when pissed, or grind their teeth when happy, or maybe make a "kaffing" sound, but I never ever heard a hamster squeak. also, why would anybody keep a hamster in his quick slots, next to their potions? hasn't Minsc ever "missed" and instead of a potion, gone for the sleeping Boo? because hamsters tend to get pissed when awaken, as in bitey pissed... as in "oh my god that tiny animal just bit through my nail down to the goddamn bone I'm seeing purple from all the pain and it wouldn't let go oh god oh god oh shit" bitey.

erm... what was the topic again?

oh yeah, Edwin. if you want to go down that road, you could just kill Dynaheir for him, then console in another one - maybe in the opposite order, I don't know what sets the variable. or go through the variables with shadowkeeper and find the one related to his quest. or just kill Dynaheir, and get a better mage. any mage, because she's pretty much the worst one in the game.
    Well, now we how Boo ended up in... this certain situation in BG2.

Barkeep, one brain bleach, thanks.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I usually just kill Dynaheir. Invokers are pretty much useless anyway. I'd rather have a strong tank (Minsc) and a powerful sorecerer (Edwin) than a woman with the portrait of an arrogant dominatrix.
    Edwin is a mage/conjurer though.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

I usually just kill Dynaheir. Invokers are pretty much useless anyway. I'd rather have a strong tank (Minsc) and a powerful sorecerer (Edwin) than a woman with the portrait of an arrogant dominatrix.

I'd rather have Kagain (and/or Dorn) and Edwin...
    Make that Kagain, Edwin and Shar-Teel for me. Dorn and I are not on speaking terms.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

Make that Kagain, Edwin and Shar-Teel for me. Dorn and I are not on speaking terms.

What happened? It's not his fault the elven chain doesn't drop until late! ;-)

What happened? It's not his fault the elven chain doesn't drop until late! ;-)
    Oh and how it is his fault! If he can smell Mr. S when entering the map, yet not come up with a way to lure him to the other side of the bridge, that is absolutely his fault!
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

Oh and how it is his fault! If he can smell Mr. S when entering the map, yet not come up with a way to lure him to the other side of the bridge, that is absolutely his fault!

Oh unfair, @KidCarnival! The bridge is closed and guarded until Chapter 5, only official messengers and suchlike are being allowed through. You haven't found any way to get across until Chapter 5, so how do you expect Simmeon to be able to do so? No matter how much Dorn lured him, Simmeon wouldn't be able to cross.
    Oh no, *I* don't have any issues with Simmeon. I don't even know that guy. I have no reason to want to cross that bridge before chapter 5. Dorn does. And Simmeon is the one on the side with the big city. He could sure buy a boat and come over without using the bridge. Though, he also has no reason to want that, unless Dorn came up with an idea to lure him there. So, all Dorn's fault.