Skip to content

Race Paperdolls

WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
I bet this has been asked before here, but is it normal that when I play any race other than human I still look human in game EXCEPT for the inventory screen?

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Nope. You should get the proper race-specific animation. Note that elves/half-elves/tieflings, humans/half-orcs and gnomes/dwarves combos currently share the same animations and paperdolls.
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    @Ward definitely something going wrong with your game there, has this always happened?
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @Cadros

I dunno, I've got TuTu and a bunch of mods installed. They look right in the inventory but in-game they're just the generic human paperdoll.

But I've never played any race but human so I've never noticed the problem. I only tried other races the other day.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Which races specifically have you noticed this for?
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    @Ward also, what other mods have you installed? I'd suggest adding a changelog but I don't remember how you do that with weidu anymore.
    @Aliteri WeiDU creates a file called "WeiDU.log" in your Baldur's Gate folder. It's a text file that lists all mods installed, in the order in which they were installed.
    Half Orc looks fine when I'm creating him, then when I get to Candlekeep he looks like a human.

I dunno what mods I've installed, too many. Tutu, NPC Talk, fixpack, tweakpack, many quest packs, portraits.

Can someone link me to how Half Orcs SHOULD look?
    The half-orc uses the human animations, but a half-orc paper doll. That's currently working as intended, although it would certainly be preferable if half-orcs could have their own animations...
    edited June 2012
    EDIT: Aosaw beat me to it. Well played, man ;-)
    edited June 2012
    Nah something's wrong then. Human animations and paperdoll (except for the inventory). I'll try a Vanilla installation and see if it works then. What does Vanilla mean? I know what it is but why is it called Vanilla?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Nah something's wrong then. Human animations and paperdoll (except for the inventory).
    Then its working fine.
    AndreaColombo
  • aXidalaXidal Member Posts: 61
    edited June 2012
    @Ward: The vanilla term comes from the standard flavour of ice-cream.
    Post edited by aXidal on
    paulsifer42
    Specifically, we call it vanilla because you haven't added anything else to it. Vanilla ice cream isn't just the standard flavor of ice cream - it's the base flavor of ice cream, what you get when you don't add other flavors to it.

@Ward I think this is another instance of confusion of terms. When you say "Paper doll", do you mean the image of the character on the inventory screen, or the way the character looks on the main game screen (the one that moves around and fights xvarts)?

When we say "paper doll", we're referring to the image on the inventory screen. The one on the main game screen is the avatar, or animations.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    So paper doll is this on ? : http://www.oldgames.sk/images/oldgames/rpg/Baldurs.Gate/bg-007.png
    And vanilla is the game without an mods ?
    edited June 2012
    Yes to both questions.

EDIT: Those are some good screenshot they've got there. Really show how good Baldur's Gate looked. There really is no comparison with Baldur's Gate II or Throne of Bhaal. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go shed a nostalgia-driven tear or two.
    Post edited by AndreaColombo on
    lordkimunfortunate_oneAntonSpartacus
    Man, those paperdolls looked good.

Save a spot in the corner for me, @AndreaColombo. I'll be right there crying with you.

I will say, though, that the icons are a lot harder to distinguish on the stone; the contrast isn't great enough to make them clear, which is something that BG2 resolved.
    unfortunate_one
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 23
    @AndreaColombo

I would agree that the stone UI of Baldur's Gate 1 always looked nicer, and felt more "classic" to me (perhaps simply because I spent so much time playing it before the sequel came out).

@Aosaw

I never understood what happened to the Elf paperdolls from Baldur's Gate 1... The paperdolls in Baldur's Gate 2 just didn't cut it for me. Something about them just seemed emaciated and... creepy. Hope the paperdolls in BG:EE more closely resemble the originals from BG1 :)
    @Spartacus

Yes, I am keen on admitting that my affection for the stony GUI skin is probably largely due to it being the first interface, the one appearing in the game that started it all and made me fall in love. However, when it comes to character animations, paperdolls, inventory icons and, imho, even the ingame font, Baldur's Gate is plenty superior to Baldur's Gate II.

In fact, I have already put forth a request to restore BG1 inventory icons, draw new/more paperdolls, keep the stony GUI skin and original ingame font, and fix what makes BG1 animations unable to dual-wield so that modders can take care of the missing animation work (in case devs had no time for it). I have requested that mirroring be removed from BG2 animations but since @PhilipDaigle said the source art assets for BG2/ToB were lost as well, I realize the chances are slim.
  • e3r4t5yne3r4t5yn Member Posts: 42
    elven paperdoll looks too weak and unattractive... I suppose many of us wish it's redrown
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    e3r4t5yn said:

elven paperdoll looks too weak and unattractive... I suppose many of us wish it's redrown

As far as I'm concerned, elven paperdolls in BG1 look amazing while in BG2 they're horrible. As for weak, elves are delicate and graceful, so don't expect a muscular, Schwarzenegger-type-of-body paperdoll because most likely it won't happen.
    QuartzMedullaOblongata
    @Koson Irenicus is an elf but he could move worlds.
    eainterplay
    @Ward aye but by using his intellect / mental prowess, not by hoisting them on his back.
    MedullaOblongata
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Elves are delicate and graceful eh? Tell that to Uthegental :P (a 2m tall and muscular drow in one of Salvatore's books)
    Mornmagor said:

Elves are delicate and graceful eh? Tell that to Uthegental :P (a 2m tall and muscular drow in one of Salvatore's books)

I suspect he was rather an exception and not the norm :).
    JolanthusQuartzpaulsifer42MedullaOblongata
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Indeed he was, i always tend to make characters that are exceptional though :P
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    @AndreaColombo or anyone else ...

In BG1, Gnomes and Dwarfs used the same paper doll. In BG2, Gnomes received their own Paper Dolls.

How does BG:EE handle this?

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

@AndreaColombo or anyone else ...

In BG1, Gnomes and Dwarfs used the same paper doll. In BG2, Gnomes received their own Paper Dolls.

How does BG:EE handle this?

I understand that BGEE will be using the 1pp mod, which hopefully means improved paperdolls and avatars, I certainly hope they improve the terrible BG2 gnome paperdolls and have a female gnome avatar that doesn't have a beard...
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    I made a female Gnome in BG2 and she did not have a beard.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    The 1pp component of the EE should ensure that gnomes and dwarves get different paper dolls (and animations too I believe).

And @Ward, there's been too much IWD for you I think.. it has clearly addled your mind.
    @shin Wut? I didn't know this existed. Don't be now gravedigging old threads, kids.

If I've mentioned IWD in this thread I forget doing it bro.