Skip to content

Custom sounds sets

OK, just one thing I want to know from the devs about this patch... has the previously mentioned workaround for custom sound sets been implemented in this patch or not?

Comments

• TiaxRulesAllTiaxRulesAll Member Posts: 198
    Aosaw told me "try it out, you might be surprised" whatever that means. I'm still patching, will test asap
  • ScytheKnightScytheKnight Member Posts: 220
    Yeah, I've started a half-elf Skald... but haven't been able to play because all the female voice sets make me want to rip their freaken voicebox out.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Custom sounds are working. You'll need to follow the steps outlined in the text file that's in the Sounds folder, but they should be working fine now.
    Nice to hear... now to actually find some since no-one has been making them as they haven't worked.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Aosaw said:

Custom sounds are working. You'll need to follow the steps outlined in the text file that's in the Sounds folder, but they should be working fine now.

This?
    Custom Sound files

The following is a list of the wav files for the custom sound sets.
    Replace each 'XXXXXXX' in the filenames with the name of the sound set (MAX 7 CHARACTERS).
    All the wav files should be 22 khz, 16 bit mono sounds.

XXXXXXXa.wav : Battle Cry
    XXXXXXXb.wav : Becoming Leader
    XXXXXXXc.wav : Tired
    XXXXXXXd.wav : Bored
    XXXXXXXe.wav : Badly Wounded
    XXXXXXXf.wav : Selected 1
    XXXXXXXg.wav : Selected 2
    XXXXXXXh.wav : Selected 3
    XXXXXXXi.wav : Action Acknowledgement 1
    XXXXXXXj.wav : Action Acknowledgement 2
    XXXXXXXk.wav : Action Acknowledgement 3
    XXXXXXXl.wav : Being Hit
    XXXXXXXm.wav : Dying
    XXXXXXXn.wav : In Forest
    XXXXXXXo.wav : In City
    XXXXXXXp.wav : In Dungeon
    XXXXXXXq.wav : Daytime
    XXXXXXXr.wav : Nighttime
    XXXXXXXs.wav : Rare Selected 1
    XXXXXXXt.wav : Rare Selected 2
    XXXXXXXu.wav : Rare Selected 3
    XXXXXXXv.wav : Rare Selected 4
    XXXXXXXw.wav : Reaction to Party Member Death

Copy the .wav files to the Sounds directory located in the directory that Baldur's Gate was installed in.

Not easy for Mac users to find (experts excluded), since it's inside the .app
    The patch erased all the ones i had in my sound folder, I have to re-download and place into the folder again >_> trying soon...
    Yeah, that's the file.

It'll be a little more complicated for Mac users for the reasons you stated.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    edited February 2013
    Aosaw said:

Yeah, that's the file.

It'll be a little more complicated for Mac users for the reasons you stated.

Would it be possible to have a "Sounds" folder, like the "Portraits" folder, in the user's own Documents area?

You'd do a look-through file system overlay, just like the current Override folder.

EDIT: In a future patch, of course.
    edited February 2013
    *sighs* well looking around doesn't seem to be much in the way of soundsets out there. Well unless you count NPC sets which I don't.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    They don't seem to be working... I went into one of my old characters, went to Customization, and changed his voice to one of my customs. I was able to play the sound in the selection screen just fine, but once I went back to the actual game, there was nothing but silence from him. Any extra info that I'm missing? I did what the readme file instructed, though I didn't have the appropriate files for "in the forest/in the dungeon/daytime/nighttime" ones, but I don't recall Charname voices having those voices anyway, so I didn't think it was a problem.
    Nope still not working properly. Im gonna assume Aosaw is misinformed because there is no way he could be purposefully that much of a troll.

• _N8__N8_ Member Posts: 77
    Having the same problem as @Nonnahswriter. Still doesn't work. My custom soundset only includes sounds A through M, and excludes N through W.
    edited February 2013
    @ ScythKnight All worthy custom soundsets (all bg1 nps, All bg2 npcs, All IWD1 and IWD2 and some planescape torment ones. All Infinity engine games)
    https://www.dropbox.com/home#!/home/Soundsets

-Click link
    -Account - TC@hotmail.com
    Pass - dropbox
    -go to soundsets folder
    -go to "all collected soundsets" folder
    -place soundsets into sounds folder
    -twiddle your thumbs while you wait for these guys to get the act together and fix custom sounds not working
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295

@ ScythKnight All worthy custom soundsets (all bg1 nps, All bg2 npcs, All IWD1 and IWD2 and some planescape torment ones. All Infinity engine games)
    https://www.dropbox.com/home#!/home/Soundsets

-Click link
    -Account - TC@hotmail.com
    Pass - dropbox
    -go to soundsets folder
    -go to "all collected soundsets" folder
    -place soundsets into sounds folder
    -twiddle your thumbs while you wait for these guys to get the act together and fix custom sounds not working

That last part really wasn't necessary. The team is doing a great job, and they can't help that you're so hung up on this one, relatively unimportant (in the grand scheme of things) feature.
    I tested it last night with all of the BG2 sound sets, renamed so that they wouldn't override the ones in BGEE. They worked just fine.

Can you send the sounds you're trying to use to support@beamdog.com? I'll take a look and see if there's something wonky going on.
  • psyactpsyact Member Posts: 81
    edited February 2013
    Mine aren't working either -- all I did was copy the soundsets from the BG2 folder (a-m only), rename them so they didn't overwrite the original ones, and I have the same experience -- works fine in the character selection screen (and the customize screen in-game), but the sounds won't play when you're actually in the game.

Aosaw -- I sent you the ones I'm trying to use. More data points is better, I suppose.
    edited February 2013
    im using all the ones in the dropbox link above. collection from a bunch of sources (bg1 and 2 npc files, icewind dale 1 and 2 files and planescape files.) All were confirmed to work in BG1 tutu and should be ready to go. Its pretty safe to say that its not the files. Are you sure the fixes in your build get passed on to us in this patch? Seems to be no change as before patch.
    I'm using the Icewind Dale 2 sounds that came installed on my computer, which I converted to Baldur's Gate 2 format with the help of this lovely little tool: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_soundsets2.php

It's called the Icewind Dale Voice Pack Converter, towards the bottom of the page. Not sure if that helps, but they work in Baldur's Gate 2 just fine. It looks like the program just copies the files and renames them to the appropriate BG2 slots, so no change to the file format.
  • DJ_DodgyDJ_Dodgy Member Posts: 18
    They seem to work if you rename all the files: custom0 (followed by the sound letter)

If you have more than one custom soundset you can replace 0 with 1-9 for each one
    Ah--@DJ_Dodgy has it right. I misunderstood the explanation that was given to me earlier.

So, yes--you have to rename the file Custom#x, where # is a numeric value between 1 and 9 and where x is the sound letter.
    I see then this is the "workaround" we were hearing about...
    So while this does allow us to have up to 10 custom soundsets, this does not work for me as a solution. I dont feel like selecting only 10 out of my bunch to convert and share among my friends for multiplay. The naming is going to make it WAAY more difficult to share sets between parties and all have the same sets named properly.

This add is just a waste of time for me and probably will only serve to placate customers just enough so that the devs never actually have to come back and fully address this issue.
    Shelving this again for another month until next patches dissapointment.

TL;DR PLEASE DONT LET THIS "WORKAROUND" BE FINAL THE FINAL FIX
    Aosaw said:

Ah--@DJ_Dodgy has it right. I misunderstood the explanation that was given to me earlier.

So, yes--you have to rename the file Custom#x, where # is a numeric value between 1 and 9 and where x is the sound letter.

Alright, that seems to have done the trick. I'll keep an eye out for any other oddities with the soundsets, but for now, I can finally play my sorcerer without laughing hysterically every few minutes. :)

Also: is there any way to add subtitles to the custom voices that we create? Just a minor thing, really, but it is a little silly to see everyone elses' scripts in the dialogue box while your Charname's voice just seems to appear out of thin air. XD
  • _N8__N8_ Member Posts: 77
    Thanks DJ_Dodgy it works now!

@TiaxRulesAll The new patch contains more than we could have ever asked for, so I wouldn't call it a 'disappointment'. 10 custom soundsets aren't enough? There are 6 character slots in a party. seems more than adequate. Anyway, shelving an entire game just because of this minor issue seems a bit absurd...
    @_N8_ I've got a female half-elf Skald that I simply can not bring myself to play because there isn't a female voice set in the game that doesn't make me want to tear their throat out to shut them up.
    _N8_ said:

Thanks DJ_Dodgy it works now!

@TiaxRulesAll The new patch contains more than we could have ever asked for, so I wouldn't call it a 'disappointment'. 10 custom soundsets aren't enough? There are 6 character slots in a party. seems more than adequate. Anyway, shelving an entire game just because of this minor issue seems a bit absurd...

This is the start of the settling for mediocrity that i mentioned. If you keep telling them this is good enough then they dont have the motivation to work on the real fix.

The rest of the patch fixes that everybody gets all orgasmic about are moot to me because I refuse to start a game until I can create the character I want and should be able to have. I also deserve to play enhanced multiplayer with matchmaking because thats what i was told I was buying.

about shelving an entire game... I've beat this game literally dozens of times. I know what its about. I bought this for the new multiplayer (which was barely EE'ed) I bought this so we could have multiple people playing multiple custom characters. before i just get everbody a zip file of my 30+ sets we all drop them in and we all are ready to go with ample choice and no configuring.

NOW we cant do that. We all have to coordinate who want what soundset (even though you cant preview it anymore without already doing the renaming work) we have to make sure that we all have the correct files for each customx ... (cant have my custom1 be anothers custom3)

are you starting to see the issues? It just raises more of them. Why Im I the only one NOT overlooking the SEVERE downgrade this is from the original functions.

TLDR again: I didnt buy this game for SP, I have been beating this game for years. I bought it for the (un)enhanced multiplayer and assumed original customisation functions still worked. So yes, it stays shelved.
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160
    @DJ_Dodgy thanks, working for me too. =D

10 is personally enough for me. I only wanted to use the BG2 soundsets and there's only 9 of those. Personally, I don't know why they weren't included in the first place, but there's a workaround so I'm content. It's kind of weird how we can change the way we sound in between the time we finish BG1 and import to BG2... =P

On the other hand, I have to agree with @TiaxRulesAll. Asking for the same soundset mod support as the old game isn't really asking too much. Why should it be OK for an "Enhanced Edition" to have worse support than it's 12 year old predecessor that it's "enhancing" (counting from BG2, since I'm unsure if BG1 had the same support without Tutu/BGT)? Isn't updated modern usability part of why we bought BGEE?
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,195

Also: is there any way to add subtitles to the custom voices that we create? Just a minor thing, really, but it is a little silly to see everyone elses' scripts in the dialogue box while your Charname's voice just seems to appear out of thin air. XD

There is a way. You must edit CHARSND.2DA file, where you can see strings attached to every voice line of every sound set. You must edit strings attached to your custom sounds and write corresponding sentences.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Well, I'm happy and even surprised by the last patch. But on this point I cannot disagree with @TiaxRulesAll.

"This isn't what was promised to meee!!"
    [cit.] Kalah
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    edited February 2013
    @TiaxRulesAll, this patch includes what @Nathan announced here.
    This may be disappointing. However this is still what was announced.
    In the end, it all comes down to compromise. If you want subtitles, as @Nonnahswriter is asking, there is no simple alternative to have the custom sound sets referenced in CHARSND.2DA file and subtitles added to dialog.tlk file. That is indeed what is done in the patch. You get the CUSTOM0 to CUSTOM9 sound sets added to CHARSND.2DA file, and in the dialog.tlk file, you have all these lines referenced between position 31997 and position 32126 and already associated with sounds CUSTOM0A to CUSTOM0M, CUSTOM1A to CUSTOM1M and so on. So in practise, by editing the texts in this range, you could actually add subtitles matching your choice of soundsets.
    I understand it's not as easy as in older games. The decision to add subtitles for custom soundsets has a price, which may be to high for some users.
  • psyactpsyact Member Posts: 81
    @TiaxRulesAll -- I understand that you want a permanent "fix" -- I think a lot of us do. Personally, I was really hoping for a complete UI overhaul which would allow you to really customize your character, including a better portrait picker (the one in the game is clumsy at best), the ability to choose your colors from a spectrum chart instead of the limited selection we have now, and a better UI for soundsets and subtitles. But to say that Beamdog is in the business of "settling" is a little unfair. They've spent a good amount of time fixing things that have absolutely no bearing on the game whatsoever, and there's no indication that they plan on slowing down. While contractually I'm sure they're limited in some aspects, it's incredibly rare to see this level of developer support on a game post-release, and that's what makes this game special. This was never about releasing a perfect game from day one (which we all found out after it was released), but the last two patches have brought it a hell of a lot closer.

The bugs are quickly disappearing, and I would imagine after they have the kinks worked out, they'll be able to focus on some of the other stuff (like customization of your character) a little more.