Skip to content

Gender pronouns missing in character creation

theleethelee Member Posts: 76
edited February 2013 in Fixed
on iPad 3rd gen

during character generation, a lot of class descriptions, etc look a bit weird (extra spacing) and it's because all gender-specific pronouns are missing. I imagine there was some sort of string replacing that was suppossed to happen but never did.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• nemiafalanemiafala Member Posts: 18
    When creating a new character, the class descriptions leave out pronouns entirely. For example, the fighter description looks like this:
    It looks like there should be a his/her between "by" and "knowledge", and a he/she between "if" and "hopes."
    I assume there is a variable that is supposed to insert the appropriate pronoun based on which gender has been chosen earlier in character generation.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Yes...yes, this was a known issue for a while. I think the fact that it wasn't publicly reported until now proves that most people don't read the descriptions. ;)
  • theleethelee Member Posts: 76
    On iPad:

What happens: going through character creation, a lot of key words are missing from class descriptions, etc. From context clues it appears that the missing words are all gender-related.
    Expected: copy that is not missing pronouns.
  • OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    I too have noticed this bugs. "His" "Her" "He" "She" etc, these words are missing and replaced by a " " (space). Needs to be fixed.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    This is a problem with gender tokens not working correctly during character creation. It's been in the tracker for a while. v_v
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RhinjavarRhinjavar Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2012
    When selecting a class during character creation some of the descriptive text (usually gender pronouns) is missing, and it is especially common among kit descriptions (for example, the Archer class is missing all instances of "he" or "she" in the text, in addition to missing the suffix "-man" at the end of "marksman"). These descriptions should have the appropriate text additions to form complete sentences.

EDIT: Ah ha! It would seem that my detective work has already been done by others! Cheers!
    Post edited by Rhinjavar on
  • cOgcOg Member Posts: 6
    It looks like gender-specific pronouns are all missing from the character creation texts.
    For the record I chose a Male Half-Orc, went back and chose Dwarf, went back and chose Human, chose Monk, Chose LE, rerolled a

couple times, hit Control+8, rerolled several more times, backtracked to class selection again, and saw the bug at the Fighter

text.

But the bug has now appeared on several different pages.

(note there is a double space around where the "he/she" or "him/her" variable would have appeared. the forum condenses that to one space, so I've put in _ where the gender-variable pronoun (and double space) would appear in-game.)
    "A good Fighter needs to be strong and healthy if _ hopes to survive."
    "WIZARD SLAYER: This warrior has been specially trained by _ sect to excel in hunting and combating spellcasters of all kinds."
    "Note: Despite its common name, a Kensai may use any melee weapon with which _ is proficient.)"
    "Whether _ turns _ talent against innocent passersby and wealthy merchants or oppressors and monsters is a choice for the Thief to make."

and so on...
  • MoongrassMoongrass Member Posts: 4
    This is still an issue with the latest patch (picked up the game for my iPad today, and noticed it immediately). Any chance of it being fixed?
    I do hope that this little bug will be fixed soon! It's not a major detriment compared to the other bugs that are out there, but it is one of those quirky things that ruffles my inner storyteller!
    @Rhinjavar I'm totally with ya. Luckily, this bug may soon be put to rest.
    FIXED. :D
    edited February 2013
    Alas, it is only partially fixed! Gender tags of "he", "she", "his", and "her" have been corrected. However, the words "man" and "woman" are still missing from the descriptions. For example, the Ranger class states:

"The Ranger is a warrior and a woods[man] (or woods[woman]) who is skilled with weapons and is knowledgeable in the ways of the forest."

Likewise, the Archer sub-kit states:

"The Archer is the epitome of skill with a bow--the ultimate marks[man] (or marks[woman]), able to make almost any shot, no matter how difficult."