Skip to content

The witcher

ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
edited February 2013 in Off-Topic
Is the witcher 1 still pretty playable? I'm contemplating buying it from GoG while waiting for the next BGEE patch. I've never tried either witcher but read good things
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• ScytheKnightScytheKnight Member Posts: 220
    Largely depends how much of a graphics ***** you are. But if you're in for mature dark fantasy with no 'good guys' then The Witcher series is great... although the 2nd game is a little bit better with the 'no good guys' thing as it's really easy to be sympathetic to the non-humans in the first... the 2nd game makes both sides pretty despicable.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    Ugh very sorry I tried to post this in the off topic section
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    I've been playing it for the first time recently. I'm in chapter 3. It's...okay. There hasn't been any moment for me that made me think "wow this is awesome" but it's quite playable, although the second chapter dragged on for what seemed like an age, I started to forget what I was doing and why I should care. There's some divergence in the plot and events based upon certain choices you pick which is quite nice and they come with mini-cutscenes to give it some flavour. That's probably the thing I've liked most.

However you only have control in so much as you would have control in a game such as Deus Ex, meaning that despite playing a memory-loss character, you aren't working with a blank slate...you're assuming the role of a predefined character with defined traits and beliefs and goals so there isn't as much leeway for roleplaying choice as you would find in something like Torment. Geralt will answer dialogues and say certain things without you as the player having any choice in the matter. That's maybe something a little disappointing coming from Baldur's Gate where you're generally allowed to interact how you see fit in most situations (less so in BG2, even less in ToB).
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    As evidenced by my thread about witcher-like characters in BG, I love the witcher. Witcher 1 is outstanding and 2 is even better. The first one is a bit raw at times but wow it is good stuff. Great story line and really great lore. You truly feel like a HUNTER of beasts as you track down information and put it in your journal. Constantly referencing it to remember weaknesses in your enemy.

Or figuring out which alchemical potion or oil is best used to dispatch your foe. OR deciding on which sign to augment your oil and which fighting style to prepare for which enemy.

Great game with a lot of replayability because of that. I haven't even mentioned the mature setting and also the grey-area choices.

Awesome stuff.
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618

Ugh very sorry I tried to post this in the off topic section

You can move it to the Off-Topic section yourself if you want to.
    Just edit your first post, select Off-Topic from the drop down Category menu and click Save.
    And your done.

• redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    I'd definitely recommend it. I liked the second better, but playing through the first (which I'll do again soon, probably) helps you appreciate the setting, story and characters more, I think.

Regarding RP, you're not roleplaying in the traditional sense -- Geralt's never going to be puppy-killing evil, no matter how much you want him to. But you still make decisions, and those decisions can be wildly different, while still being somewhat justifiable within that character's philosophy, and they all have meaningful (and unpredictable) consequences. For someone coming from Bioware's fairly black-and-white moral choices, that's a refreshing change.

Also, once you get the hang of the game mechanics, I'd strongly recommend bumping up the difficulty. Playing on Hard makes the game's magic and alchemy systems much more necessary, and exploring those was a lot of fun for me.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I found the Witcher 1 to be redundant and not very interesting. I didn't like the dialogue or the writing. My experience with it is why I still haven't gotten the sequel.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Just be aware that the beginning is the worst part of it. It's a great game overall though but chapter 1 especially is not very good.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Also, check out this thread;
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15464/is-the-witcher-2-the-best-mature-modern-rpg

It's a good game, love it, heartily recommend it.
  • RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    I bought The Witcher on Steam, during the Christmas Sale. I am a little under 40 hours in, I believe. It's a solid game. I have enjoyed it thus far, and only stopped playing because I purchased BG:EE!

That said, Chapter 2 can drag on a tad. I am only drawing to its conclusion and it has went on, and on, and on.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Chapter 2-3 are not great no, but city adventuring isn't really my kind of thing.
    I've enjoyed Chapter 4 a ton more, it's more like Chapter 1.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    It's alright, it doesn't really function in the way it is advertised though. It is implied you are supposed to prepare for monster slaying before hand with the appropriate potions/poisons which is fine for sidequests, but the way the main game is set up you will never actually have a chance to prep yourself before major monster fights.

There are horrendous examples of this early on in Chapter 1, leading up to a fight with the big monster, in which you get cutscene'd to the battle with no way to even use potions against it.
    @State_Lemming
    I don't follow. When resting/meditating you can create any potion or blade coating you wish. I try to have at least three or four of the most useful in my possession at all times. When I fall to but one of a particular type I immediately look for the nearest campfire to restock.

So long as you are in possession of the necessary potion or blade coating it's a matter of seconds to bring it into play. If Geralt is caught short it's our own lack of preparation. Expect the unexpected, as they say.

It is easier when exploring the world at your own pace. But the unpredictable nature of certain moments is a positive, for me. I think I know to what you're referring. I liked the sudden change of pace and the impending need to react accordingly. It's not too dissimilar to encountering a Vampiric Wolf at the wrong time (is there a right time) or the shock assassination attempts along the Sword Coast. They keep things interesting.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    @RnRClown

Like I said the sidequests suit the formula because you know what you are getting into and what to bring (quest says kill giant plants so whip up some anti-plant poison etc)

There are sequences that I think so are forgetting, the ghost dog for example, there is literally no way to apply the correct oil or potion to level the playing field, you can't even quickload and do it before the cutscene, the effects go away, that is terrible design for a game that touts the need to diligent and plan ahead.

Same issue with fighting indoors, you can't prep beforehand and there isn't enough room to run away and slooooowly knock back a potion.
    @State_Lemming
    I had Geralt knock back a potion of Swallow and a potion of Blizzard during the "ghost dog" battle. I cannot recall whether I used a potion of Tawny Oil, or not. The result was a more balanced playing field where Geralt prevailed in most due to the effects of Blizzard.

At that point of the game there are not too many option for oils, as Geralt is limited to a steel sword only. There are whetstones and grindstones, though. I applied one or the other to increase damage output, and further tip the scales in favor of Geralt.

I don't know whether it is required, but I usually do a quick double step backward to evade an attack while an enemy is lurching forward, that is where I have Geralt quickly uncork a potion and down it in one.

At maximum difficulty is there a slower rate for drinking potions? I don't recall it ever being painfully slow to activate, and I choose hard difficulty.