Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Multiplayer

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
The user and all related content has been deleted.
  1. Baldur's Gate Multiplayer82 votes
    1. Yes. I play Baldur's Gate as a multiplayer game with other people.
      42.68%
    2. Yes. I play Baldur's Gate as a multiplayer game to create and control my own party.
        9.76%
    3. No. I do not play Baldur's Gate as a multiplayer game.
      47.56%

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Only really used the multiplayer to make my own party. I do have a friend I wish to gift and play EE with but I'm waiting for the improved multiplayer lobby functionality thing... and that has yet to make an appearance.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    No option really applies. I plan to play with some friends, all haven't played BG before. They are trying out classes and stuff to see what role they like best while waiting for said improved multiplayer.

I don't use multiplayer to create my entire party in BG1 or BGEE, but partly in BG2. If I don't play a thief myself, I sometimes create a second character for thieving duties, but still take NPCs along.
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    No option applies. I tried multiplayer yesterday with a friend (who hosted), but got disconnected all the time. We never got out of candlekeep before giving up, so we eagerly await a more stable multiplayer patch.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I will play it multiplayer with friends as soon as beamdog gets round to releasing their improved multiplayer client and functionality
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    I do, with Hamachi we have no problems at all.
    Especially now that they fixed many annoying bugs like the trade interruption when another player starts a conversation.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    How come there's no options for: "I would love to but don't have anyone in real life I can foist this game upon." So people who would maybe give it a shot with board members can kinda put the word out. =P
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    The days of lan parties are long gone, but once upon a time a bunch of university computer programmers, operators, and lab assistants would sneak in a little pc lab on Friday nights, boot up the required number of machines before weekly system backups would start, push Warcraft 2, Starcraft, and assorted infinity engine games across the network and play all weekend. Later the wife and I would host lan parties at our home. Sometimes up to 20 people bringing machines, not laptops, with monitors...crazy days indeed. But now it is all long distance gaming. I miss the lan options. The wife and I played BG 1 and 2 plus the Icewind Dale series locally without any problems. Playing BG EE right now in the same room, and we have monster lag that is just downright frustrating. Better speeds, better networking, better memory, better everything...except play! That's progress for you. ;)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I have played a game with a friend of mine who wasn't familiar with BG. It wasn't the most fun thing ever as coordinating movement and so on got frustrating quickly.

It did let me mess around with the awesome crowd-control power of a cleric/illusionist though. I'd Command or Sleep anything nasty and the rest of the party could wipe it out.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    I've played multiplayer only once or twice in my lifetime.

Also recently I've started to do my whole custom party (its awesome!). After starting the game in multiplayer I save and put that save into single player folder and play alone.

Other than that 99% of time I play singleplayer.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    I have played online once (before it stopped working), but I play with my brother in the same room all the time. Unfortunately, iPad and PC aren't always on the same version so aren't able to currently :-(
    When it comes out on android, I plan on playing with my brother and our friend, and possibly more. Multiplayer is fun, but it is definitely different.
  • KratokKratok Member Posts: 42
    We just started our second full playthrough in multiplayer, the first one we started the day BG:EE was released, so before any patches. Probably around 40 hours total in multiplayer + another 6 or so from Black Pits. Haven't needed Hamachi or anything similar. Haven't had a single disconnect the entire time, and no lag to speak of. The newest patch is working great so far, only had a couple of minor freezes when the game somehow got paused and didn't let us unpause, a quick relog fixed those though. My friend just normally hosts the server, and I log in - and we're good to go. One hell of a good time... can't wait to do the same in BG2:EE.
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    We've never had a disconnect, but brother we're still having lag. Our monitors are right next to each others, and fighting the occasional wolf spawn east of Candlekeep, the wolf is never in the same spot on our screens. So you can think you are attacking from range, a good ten feet or so, and in reality the wolf is behind you and on top of you, and if you're a mage, that means you can be dead and never know why. Like every creature has teleport on it. Now we had this kind of issue at game launch, but not with the last patch, so I am confused as what the issue might be. Try playing some more tonight and see if it was just the area in question.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    I have no desire to actually play the game with other people, honestly that sounds really tedious to me. I think I would rather do an actual PNP game whenever I can find time with friends.

But I often create more than a single character for myself on a playthrough. One to three characters of my own is typical for me. As I've mentioned before, I often recreate characters I've played in PNP before. And a lot of those characters adventure paired with friends, siblings, spouses or kids. So I've done a lot of buddy parties and a lot of husband wife teams.
    I also like recreating characters from books, television or movies; and they also often come in teams.

I guess the other thing worth mentioning though, I always move the save file from mpsave over to save after the party is created so I don't have to look at all the multi-player interface stuff.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Waiting for improved multiplayer. Will they allow connecting with people you don't know through some sort of battle.net-alike interface? (the old battle.net, not the ruined battle.net 2 version)
  • SeveronSeveron Member Posts: 214
    Haven't as of yet had a full game with the same people. Most games have usually been with the host halfway through their campaign. I'm going to wait until this MP Lobby becomes avaliable before I try again I think.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I don't remember playing it with other people...but I remember playing IWD.