Skip to content

Dorn dialogue

Anyone notice that the dialogue with Dorn changes based on your intelligence? I'm discussing the dialogue during the ambush. With high intel you recognize him as a blackguard with low to average you don't. I found this interesting, and am now wondering if dialogue anywhere else changes at all.

Comments

• DarrylsonDarrylson Member Posts: 87
    I know with low intelligence Edwin is even more condescending than usual, speaking to you like a caveman when you first meet him. He says something along the lines of "Me Edwin, tap ground twice if you understand." It's been a while since I've gotten that dialogue though.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Yeah I think it's 17INT required for the blackguard option in dialogue. Also in the ambush before meeting Dorn, INT or WIS (don't know which) also gives you the option to tell Senjak to "keep your distance" recognising that these are probably more bandits. Otherwise your character just sort of politely sets himself up to get mugged.

As an aside

I find Dorn's dialogues quite weird in general, there seems to be a few non-sequiturs like lines are being skipped or something...there's this one where he mentions slaughtering a village and then you can reply "isn't that overkill" and Dorn comes out with "Don't be so naíve! I did not 'permit it', I led the charge!". Uh okay then, replying to a statement no-one made apparently?? Then there's the "romance" which is sort of a joke almost as if the writers themselves couldn't take it seriously. Meh. Waiting for one of the many quality mod NPC makers to work some magic.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I don't believe I've ever done Dorns romance. However I didn't know I was doing Jahieras romance in BG2 until I kicked her out of my party and she said something about thinking we had something special.
    Perhaps my characters are so socially awkward that they just don't pick up on it.

Yeah I think it's 17INT required for the blackguard option in dialogue. Also in the ambush before meeting Dorn, INT or WIS (don't know which) also gives you the option to tell Senjak to "keep your distance" recognising that these are probably more bandits. Otherwise your character just sort of politely sets himself up to get mugged.

As an aside

I find Dorn's dialogues quite weird in general, there seems to be a few non-sequiturs like lines are being skipped or something...there's this one where he mentions slaughtering a village and then you can reply "isn't that overkill" and Dorn comes out with "Don't be so naíve! I did not 'permit it', I led the charge!". Uh okay then, replying to a statement no-one made apparently?? Then there's the "romance" which is sort of a joke almost as if the writers themselves couldn't take it seriously. Meh. Waiting for one of the many quality mod NPC makers to work some magic.
    Well, I don't really think any of the romances are meant to reach any kind of fruition in BG1, you just sort of establish a relationship with the character. BG2 is where they're meant to come into full swing.

That's my interpretation anyway.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I find it very normal if friendship and respect comes before romance. What's wrong with Dorn's romance prelude? That's all the new NPCs have in BG1 and they were never meant to have actual romance quests.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Darrylson said:

Well, I don't really think any of the romances are meant to reach any kind of fruition in BG1, you just sort of establish a relationship with the character. BG2 is where they're meant to come into full swing.

That's my interpretation anyway.

Yeah I know. But it's like, two dialogue options both of which are off the scale in sillyness and with no consequence.

@Delvarian have you played Planescape:Torment? Wisdom/Intelligence/Charisma affect dialogues/events much more, if you enjoy that kind of thing.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I have Planescape installed on my computer and I've messed around with it a couple times, the controls and interface bother me too much. I had the hardest time figuring out how to use an item.
    I'm sure at some point ill play through it though, as people are always going on about how great the story is.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Delvarian said:

I have Planescape installed on my computer and I've messed around with it a couple times, the controls and interface bother me too much. I had the hardest time figuring out how to use an item.
    I'm sure at some point ill play through it though, as people are always going on about how great the story is.

Planescape had a terrible interface
    Neverwinter Nights also reacts much more to intelligence. I had a barbarian (or berzerker?) who was too stupid to complete some quests that required to... speak in complete sentences. It was very entertaining.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

Neverwinter Nights also reacts much more to intelligence. I had a barbarian (or berzerker?) who was too stupid to complete some quests that required to... speak in complete sentences. It was very entertaining.

I feel like I'm the only one who makes his Barbarians fit the Conan-like archetype of a man from savage climes destined to be a leader, rather than dumb brutes. Le sigh...

edited March 2013

I feel like I'm the only one who makes his Barbarians fit the Conan-like archetype of a man from savage climes destined to be a leader, rather than dumb brutes. Le sigh...

If I play a Barbarian in NWN I feel almost obligated to have <9 intelligence just because I like telling Pavel that "I no want talk at you." It makes the game infinitely more interesting for me to have those dialogue options. Anywhere else I'll usually play a Barbarian straight.
    I played that in my stupid run. The character was a half orc who wore the bard/clown costume and no armor or anything. I actually had to quit because I couldn't solve a story quest (not even with potions).

A friend of mine plays a highly intelligent "reserved leader" type, so no, you're not the only one.