Skip to content

100% MR in BG2

I was wondering if it is possible to get to 100% Magic Resistance by the time I get to BG2. It's always something I wanted to try but it's been years before I gave it a shot. Can anyone tell me if it's possible with a thief with UAI. I'd rather do it without Carsomyr. I was also thinking of taking a Wizard Slayer through BGEE to Thief to get an extra 15% MR or so if I can't get to 100% with only items.

Also, has anyone actually done this? How useful is it? I picture my 100% MR to allow me to brush of liches and Fire Giants. Is that actually the case?

Thanks!

Comments

• bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Do it with a monk who has innate 78% MR by level 26. Also, Viconia has a natural MR 65% for being a drow, so you can give her MR equipments until she is 100% MR. However, she is fragile and should avoid battles with a mix of mages and warriors.

It's impossible to get 100% MR w/o the Carsomyr and you have to exploit the game to actually get 100% MR.

+50% MR Carsomyr
    +10% MR Amulet (forget the name, but the earliest amulet is sold in underdark city)
    +10% MR Ring of Gaax
    +10% MR Second Ring of Gaax (exploit)
    +5% Machine of the Lum
    +10% from Hell
    +5% Enkidu Armor

Yes, putting all these equipment together means you are basically immune to (almost) anything. I believe the only spells that can affect you are Demogorgon's Beguiling Gaze, Lich's Imprisonment, Sunfire and Dragon's breath.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    edited March 2013
    High MR can be very useful, but remember that certain spells ignore MR (e.g. Imprisonment, Sunfire).

I assume you don't want to use the purifier either then? Either way I think you will have to equip at least one less-than-optimal weapon to achieve 100%.

WS - 15
    Amulet (two diferent ones) - 10
    Ring of Gaxx - 10
    Human Flesh - 20
    Hell Trials - 10
    Deck of Many Things - 5
    Machine of Lum the Mad - 5

That's 75%. Other weapons with MR include Hindo's Doom and the Sword of Balduran (10 each). I miht have missed something, it's been too long since I've played. If you don't mind using the Purifier then you have it.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    edited March 2013
    You can reach 100 to be sure, but the hoops you have to go through to do it are not worth it for most characters. It's relatively easy though for a Monk or Wizard Slayer (like anyone ever plays those... ¬_¬), or for Viconia.

That being said, having any MR is already nice. Randomly resisting spells can do a lot in a fight, even though there are certain things you can't resist. Luckily, most items that have MR on them are already good on their own (Ring of Gaxx, Human Flesh, Carsomyr, Robe of Vecna...).

I suppose the best thing you could do is have a Monk CHARNAME (78 MR at lvl26+) with Ring of Gaxx (+10=88), Hell Trials (+10=98) and Machine of Lum the Mad/Deck of Many Things (+5=103). Could be fun to do sometime!
    Post edited by Lord_Tansheron on
  • ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182
    Also be sure you use a patched version of the game that fixes the Carsomyr bug. In the unpatched version of the game carsomyr would lock your MR at 50% rather than giving you 50% MR.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    It's incredibly easy. I do it virtually every game

Viconia + Human Flesh armour + Shield with MR + Amulet with MR should be enough.
    If you want, you can add rings of gaxx into the equation too.
  • EkitalEkital Member Posts: 19
    Setup 1:
    Human Flesh Armor (+20% MR)
    Shield of The Lost (+5% MR)
    Hindo's Doom (+10% MR)
    Ring of Gaax x2 (+20% MR)
    Kaligun's Amulet of Magic Resistance (+10% MR)
    Machine of Lum the mad (+5% MR)
    Hell Trials (+10% MR)
    -------------------
    80% MR without any other possible bonuses

Setup 2:
    Enkidu's Armor(+5% MR)
    Ring of Gaax x2 (+20% MR)
    Kaligun's Amulet of Magic Resistance (+10% MR)
    Machine of Lum the mad (+5% MR)
    Hell Trials (+10% MR)
    Carsomyr (+50%)
    ------------------------------------
    100% MR without any other possible bonuses
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Do what I do, and go for 100% fire immunity on a tank, then unleash hell in his general vicinity.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,188
    Also, you can exploit that thing, where you drop your imported equipment from BG1 before the starting sequence with Irenicus and you can have cloak of Balduran with additional 25% MR.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    you don't really need 100% MR, you'd be better of not using second grade equipment just becase it gives a bit of MR(in my opinion at least)

also note that not all spells are affected by MR
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    By the way, a lot of damage in the game is actually fire-based. Fire resistance is pretty valuable, and probably easier to stack up on than pure MR.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438

Also be sure you use a patched version of the game that fixes the Carsomyr bug. In the unpatched version of the game carsomyr would lock your MR at 50% rather than giving you 50% MR.

Carsomyr setting MR to 50% (instead of increasing it) has been confirmed as the correct behavior by the devs.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited March 2013
    @Itstucktwice
    Just put Carsomyr first, then the other items that add MR ;)
    Post edited by SpaceInvader on
  • JaggedJagged Member Posts: 105
    Thanks for all the info guys! Now about fire resistance... Is it possible to get 100% in BGEE?
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    One of Drizzt's scimitars gives you 50% and the ring of fire resistance gives you 40%, so that's 90% right there. You can top it off with the helmet of defense (+20%).
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    if you're a fighter/mage, you can wear the resistance robe and actually heal yourself with Fireball. ;)
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    @Jagged
    Yes, of course.
    Ring of Fire Protection +40%, Scroll of Fire Protection +50%, Potion of Fire Protection +50% are usable by everyone. Plus, there are class restricted items and spells.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    IIRC there are two rings of fire resistance, so you'll get 80% just from those.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Just chug 2 potions of fire resistance and you get 100%. Incidentally, anything above 100% actually heals you.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Kind of ridiculous that the class that has the most difficulty reaching 100% MR (if it is possible at all) is the Wizard Slayer.

Seriously, fix this kit. Where are the balance updates?
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    It's a bit insultingly easy to get it with a monk, as has been said. With an amulet and ring of Gaxx you're pretty much there, depending on level.

It's one more way to turn your monk into an immune-to-everything death machine.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    PugPug said:

Kind of ridiculous that the class that has the most difficulty reaching 100% MR (if it is possible at all) is the Wizard Slayer.

Seriously, fix this kit. Where are the balance updates?

The devs all play wizards.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Monk: Better Wizard Slayer than the Wizard Slayer
  • CrawleyCrawley Member Posts: 74

Do what I do, and go for 100% fire immunity on a tank, then unleash hell in his general vicinity.

I would suggest rising this to 127%. Healing fireballs FTW!