Skip to content

Baeloth is a bit overkill

Comments

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Wanderon said:

My Witch Hunter party just encountered him and decided the area didn't need another evil sorcerer - imagine their surprise when they discovered -

His robes are considered stolen merchandise!
    I noticed that too, but thought it may be because most stores don't want to buy "evil" items
  • TPSullivan1TPSullivan1 Member Posts: 30

@Kennis: I reckon they'll bring him back in BG2ee as an opponent. If so, then obviously there's no way they can also make him available as a party member! And I like the idea of Baeloth as a tough new opponent, so no, not everyone would be happy if he were DLC instead.

Veddy interestink....
    Got me thinking: if that's part of the plan for him, and he 'appears' now when in fact he's been sent as a spy to investigate you and your skills, so he tags along with your party for a while appearing to help you when in fact he's gathering intel to use against you later. Could make for some extremely interesting dialog if you recruit and use him and he's later openly working against you. You'd also need a different dialog if you don't recruit him....

• WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418

Wanderon said:

My Witch Hunter party just encountered him and decided the area didn't need another evil sorcerer - imagine their surprise when they discovered -

I noticed that too, but thought it may be because most stores don't want to buy "evil" items
    I suspect it's more about

not profiting from killing joinable npcs - no exp - no really big items like this - altho you do of course get the use of it if you have an evil mage or two

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Wanderon said:

Wanderon said:

I suspect it's more about

not profiting from killing joinable npcs - no exp - no really big items like this - altho you do of course get the use of it if you have an evil mage or two

You may have a point. BTW did you notice his two (cursed) potions of healing are also counted as "stolen" goods, oddly?
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I did not - I did have him drink one the other day in my other current campaign... LOL
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I drank one and had him drink the other, hoping now that we are drinking buddies, he would tell me how to get a djinn slave. Didn't work.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347

I think old Baley is going to lead the kidnapping of charname that bridges the 2 games

Another betrayal? Maybe Yoshimo can join him in Irenicus's dungeon and leave me alone.

• bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    edited March 2013
    he's too strong, he combines exceptional casting ability with good dex/con,more spells known then he should and 55% magic resistance,he's better than edwin imo because generally sorc>mage also in BG1 it really doesn't matter that he cannot learn all the situational spells because there are fewer areas that require specific protections in bg 1 ( only basilisks come to mind atm)

imo Baeloth and Dorn are too good for NPC's, alignment excluded Dorn renders all mellees who aim on damage obsollete and Baeloth is somewhat better than Edwin who's considerably better than all other mages
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I have to admit, as much as I love Baeloth for his epic personality, I had to drop him from my team because he made everything way too easy. =/
    I wouldn't say Dorn is too strong. Blackguard is a strong kit, and he has one stat maxed. Others have illegal stats and I wouldn't call Coran or Kagain overpowered due to that.
    Baeloth, yeah, he does make things way easier than they should be/are fun. I like his personality and voiceset, but I'm too attached to Xzar and Edwin to really plan my party around him instead. I like the free robe though; now it works much better to have cleric-Xzar in a party with Edwin. And I'm sure Baeloth will find a way to entertain himself outside the FAI.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited March 2013
    (Mispost, sorry.)

I wouldn't say Dorn is too strong. Blackguard is a strong kit, and he has one stat maxed. Others have illegal stats and I wouldn't call Coran or Kagain overpowered due to that.
    Baeloth, yeah, he does make things way easier than they should be/are fun. I like his personality and voiceset, but I'm too attached to Xzar and Edwin to really plan my party around him instead. I like the free robe though; now it works much better to have cleric-Xzar in a party with Edwin. And I'm sure Baeloth will find a way to entertain himself outside the FAI.

Before coming to this board the thought of using the Wisdom tomes to dual Xzar into a cleric never crossed the threshold of my mind. Now I have trouble working out how to fit Viconia on my team...
    I can't help you with that, but I can save you the time to try if Dynaheir is as awesome as Xzar if you dual her to cleric. Not worth it, despite her good con. Until BGEE, I didn't dual anyone else; now it's usually both Xzar and Shar-Teel, and I'm trying every NPC I can dual at least once.
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    @KidCarnival

What level did you dual him at?
    Xzar at level 6, so he ends up as necromancer 6/cleric 8.
    Heheh. Thanks for the Dynaheir tip! Though, I probably wouldn't have ever tried. I actually never dualled anyone at all pre-EE: I just didn't understand the mechanic, really.

Shar-Teel makes a pretty great F>T, and it gives her a niche now that Dorn has part-stolen her previous 'Evil DPS' role. I was debating dualing her on my latest play through, since my Charname was already a F>T dual, but then i thought what the heck and did it anyway. I have her on ranged this time, kinda like an evil Coran replacement. On my last playthrough she was mainly a dual-dagger backstabbing machine.
    Dynaheir needs 2 tomes, so it takes a long time and very careful planning (rescue, park to keep her lower level) to not have the long downtime that late in the game. Xzar usually gets his mage skills back in Cloakwood, and waiting that much longer with a backup cleric wasn't much fun.
    This is also the 1.5th time I have Dynaheir in my party at all - I had her until early Cloakwood once and always killed her before. I did like the voiceset (blinded by having Jaheira as party leader, I was convinced Dynaheir's voiceset is awesome, but in comparison, I guess every voiceset is...), but meanwhile, I do understand why people say she's a bossy bitch and doesn't really sound "lawful good". She's actually as arrogant as Edwin, if not more so... He at least talks to himself when he belittles your intellect and thinks you can't hear it... Dynaheir tells you straight to your face that she is always right. O.o It amuses me that Garrick tells her she needs manners all the time.
    edited March 2013
    Hur hur, deleted my post. I fudged up my levels thinking I was going to dual a mage to Cleric at 7.
  • KennisKennis Member Posts: 124
    Heresy! Need as many evil characters in BG2 as possible. With Korgan, Viconia, Edwin as the only evils, we need Dorn and Baeloth to make a full evil party with CHARNAME. I'm having to wait to play BG2EE without those filthy Neutrals. :)
    Kennis said:

Heresy! Need as many evil characters in BG2 as possible. With Korgan, Viconia, Edwin as the only evils, we need Dorn and Baeloth to make a full evil party with CHARNAME. I'm having to wait to play BG2EE without those filthy Neutrals. :)

How about an evil Monk?
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I wish Baeloth would stay. I love Drow!
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I just got him the first time, he looks powerful indeed. He won't get a 4th lvl spell at lvl 7, and get it at lvl 8 like normal sorcs, right?

Though I play SCS, so a little boost in power won't hurt. But I fear he may not stay for long, my party rep was already 19 when I got him, and now Khalid, Jaheira and even Immy all scolded me for letting him join. Guys, we keep an evil overpowered drow sorcerer with an attitude problem in check, at least he will fireball the bad guys as long as he stays with us. It's something!
  • The_Shairs_HandbookThe_Shairs_Handbook Member Posts: 219
    edited March 2013
    Hmmm... don't know but I like Baeloth... I mean now I can choose between to power spellcasters in the game... Edwin or Baeloth.... i go for Baeloth everytime.... don't like edwin... something about him just makes me want to make him explode in 1001 small bits (he turns me into a hater haha..) :P

so Tumps up for Baeloth in Bg2ee... I hope his quest is to kill Edwin or something... that would make my day :P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Hmmm... don't know but I like Baeloth... I mean now I can choose between to power spellcasters in the game... Edwin or Baeloth.... i go for Baeloth everytime.... don't like edwin... something about him just makes me want to make him explode in 1001 small bits (he turns me into a hater haha..) :P

so Tumps up for Baeloth in Bg2ee... I hope his quest is to kill Edwin or something... that would make my day :P

Hissssssssss!
    I lol'd a bit... You hate Edwin because he is "an overpowered cheater", yet you like Baeloth who has more than enough "illegal" stuff, starting from more spells than a normal sorcrerer, to his magic resistance, to coming with the most expensive mage robe... Doesn't make any sense to me, but whatever, no-one forces me to take you serious, so it's all good.

If Baeloth was kept the way he is and not get a stat update or anything, he may be an ok fit for BG2. It would certainly be interesting to see him in the Underdark, maybe with a personal quest there. However, the addition of an evil thief is more important. Baeloth as arcane caster would only be a "welcome alternative" for evil parties (or addition, if you like your parties spell heavy); a thief is needed to cover the basics.
    The idea that Baeloth may be involved in the kidnapping of charname is also way more interesting to me than having him recruitable. It would bridge the two games and add a great new quest with Baeloth as enemy.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Bhaaldog said:

The Drow Rule Supreme!

To end ... Like That?
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Kennis said:

Need an Evil Thief, too.