Skip to content

Boots of Speed cease working after a while

dieterderblaudieterderblau Member Posts: 8
edited March 2013 in Not An Issue
Expected Behaviour: boots double movement of any character wearing them, a haste symbol appears on character's icon and record.

Current Behaviour: first noted when playing characters re-imported from earlier games or from Black Pits, the boots wouldn't work for the high level character. NOW, seeing this happening after I've played any character for a while. I hit about 6th level, and they stop working... the icon goes away and the character can no longer receive the effects. I then move them to another character, of higher or lower experience point level, and they work fine, but will not work when moved back onto the protagonist. In earlier games lately, I have noticed the boots not working on other characters after a while as well.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• dieterderblaudieterderblau Member Posts: 8
    Playing, as stated in all other posts, in Windows7 version...
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    What class is the character in question?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Monks can't be hasted or slowed after reaching level 5.
    edited March 2013
    Also, anyone under the effects of Free Action cannot be hasted. There's a ring and a 2-handed sword that both provide the Free Action effect, so if you have either of those equipped, the boots will not work.
    Okay... wow. I've NEVER seen that affect things before, and indeed, it's the ring, but NOT the sword. Currently, my party has both, the blackguard Dorn totes the Spider's Bane, and indeed, when I threw on the Ring of Free Action, my haste effects went out the door... Which is NEW. I've played BG and BG2 since they came out and that's a new change to things... and not one I'm okay with... That's like applying Magic Resistance to healing or other sympathetic magic. something I'd PUNCH my DM's for in real life gaming.
    (And expect to get punched for.)
    edited March 2013

Okay... wow. I've NEVER seen that affect things before, and indeed, it's the ring, but NOT the sword. Currently, my party has both, the blackguard Dorn totes the Spider's Bane, and indeed, when I threw on the Ring of Free Action, my haste effects went out the door... Which is NEW. I've played BG and BG2 since they came out and that's a new change to things... and not one I'm okay with... That's like applying Magic Resistance to healing or other sympathetic magic. something I'd PUNCH my DM's for in real life gaming.
    (And expect to get punched for.)

Huh, you're right, it only happens with the ring, not the sword. Weird. But yeah, I think they tweaked the effects of free action for BG:EE, I forget exactly why.

Funnily enough, in vanilla BG1, magic resistance was applied towards beneficial magic. It's only because of the move to the BG2 engine that it doesn't behave this way in BG:EE.
    Good point, I remember that crap now that you mention it.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @TJ_Hooker Spider's Bane grants another type of free action that only prohibits hindrances to movement. Since the sword was specifically made to fight web-spinning spiders, this behavior makes sense.