Skip to content

Spells and Hit Dice

From the description of "Sleep" spell:

"Creatures in the area of effect must make a Saving Throw with a -3 penalty or fall asleep. Monsters with 4+3 Hit Dice (4 Hit Dice plus 3 Hit Points) or more are unaffected."

There are a couple of spells in the game with descriptions like these, and I've always found them confusing. What exacly does the +3 hp mean? I guess al 4 HD monsters are affected by this, but what about HD 5, 6? They are only affected if they have a total HD of 7 or higher?

*Confused* xD

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited February 2013
    It's a PnP copy/paste. It means monsters with 4 HD that then add 3 to get their total Hit Points, but that obviously doesn't apply to Baldur's Gate. For the purposes of this game, all monsters with more than four levels are immune. I'm going to tweak the description.
    DarksheerNocturneNFafnirRnRClown
  • NocturneNNocturneN Member Posts: 123
    Thank you, Jalily!
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    edited February 2013
    Does the spell really affect an unlimited number of creatures within a 30 feet radius as long as they don't have more than 4hd?
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    @Wilbur
    As far as I can tell, yes. Sleep is an absolute nuke against a village of xvarts or gibberlings.
    WilburNocturneNTJ_HookerRnRClown
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    In PnP it's supposed to be limited to 4 HD total. So it should cap at 8 xvarts.
  • NocturneNNocturneN Member Posts: 123
    I have noticed Sleep is EXTREMELY effective in Baldur's Gate, aye. For my next playthrough I will probably toggle the "wake up on damage"-option in ToBEx...hmm, think I'll do that now, actually - still really powerful spell, honestly. If I recall correctly, in BG1 Color Spray was also awesome in the early game, but really, Sleep just wipes the floor with any CC spells bar Web.

Should also mention that the level 2 Cleric spell "Silence" is usually gameover for any enemy spellcasters...you get a save at -5 and noone will make that save early in the game. Hell, I even used it with some success in late SoA! Completely destroys any spellcasters, well so long as the aren't resistant to magic!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    NocturneN
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    In original Pen and Paper, all monsters got 8-sided dice for hit points (some, like kobolds, only got half a dice!) and some got extra. So, 4d8+3 So Ogres should't be immune (they were only 4+1). :)