Skip to content

Language Problems with text and other staff (Russian localization)

Somulo_Somulo_ Member Posts: 270
edited March 2013 in General Modding
sorry for this interruption, but we really tired to wait the official localization, 4 months (facepalm)))) we have a 4 variants localization dialog.tlk files (ready to work - really)), but problem is..the game not see our symbols, may somebody give a advise about how we make that thing work with a our dialog.tlk and our font (Slavic) or something, i know it's not actually mod thing, but help please *_*.

Comments

• WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    Is your text encoded as UTF8? It won't be displayed correctly otherwise.
  • Somulo_Somulo_ Member Posts: 270
    edited March 2013
    Wisp said:

Is your text encoded as UTF8? It won't be displayed correctly otherwise.

file - dialog.tlk, open with MS Word or something not see how file be encoded, but how do I know what file was encoded, it's .tlk - file and text inside or something, and in the other languages with they dialog.tlk file all right If I'm not mistaken (\Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition\lang\fr_FR just two file dialog.tlk and it's working well, game see the text) , just copy they .tlk file, and game absolutely normal see the text, but "slavic" game not see at all..

!!!: - i'm use notepad, and open like text file, it's told me what the file in the list of encoding - "ANSI",
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    Well, what Microsoft calls "ANSI" is the wrong encoding. I think Notepad is technically capable of saving a file as UTF8, but almost any third-party editor would be a step up. MS Word would most likely just break things for you.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    A few months ago, I made some tests about the encoding suitable for international languages in BGEE. You can read my results in this thread.
    Based on the russian translation of a mod, BP-Series, I tried to convert the original russian file (encoded with the Windows-1250 encoding, it seems, as suitable for BG II) to UTF-8, which seems to be the new norm for BGEE. Unfortunately, it didn't work at all : all the special cyrillic characters are not present, it seems.
    My hypothesis is that the game doesn't (didn't? version was 1.0.2010 back then, I think) include the cyrillic characters. I have no clue which file is now the reference for the font in the game. With BG II and other older games, it was a matter of replacing a few BAM files.

Maybe someone like @Archaic, who did a font mod for BGEE, would know which files are involved when you want to replace the game font. With that knowledge, it would be possible to check which kind of special characters are included in the game to ensure why it doesn't work with cyrillic, and possibly add the missing characters.

Regarding the tlk file, it is best to decode it to text format using WeiDU, for instance. You can do easily with a script file containing the command:
    weidu --tlkin dialog.tlk --traify-tlk --out dialog.tra
    How to use it:
    Create a new text file in your lang\ru_RU (or whatever language name you use for russian). Call it tlk2tra.bat. Copy the line above in it. Then double-click on the file and you should obtain a new file called dialog.tra (a text file).

Then you can open the dialog.tra in an editor like notepad++. Typically, with French language, it tells me that the encoding is "ANSI as UTF-8" while for a BG II file, it would simply say "ANSI".
    Erg
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    edited March 2013
    @Isaya - You need to have 3 files in your override folder in order to use a font mod in BGEE: FONTNAME.bmp, FONTNAME.bam and FONTNAME.fnt files. Each font in the game requires these 3 files. Hope that helps.
    edited March 2013
    Isaya Archaic - Great thanks guys
    Archaic said:

@Isaya - You need to have 3 files in your override folder in order to use a font mod in BGEE: FONTNAME.bmp, FONTNAME.bam and FONTNAME.fnt files. Each font in the game requires these 3 files. Hope that helps.

eah.. i have fonts, but in old BG it's working on .bam files, but now Overhaul leads! FONTS FOR EVERYONE! i mean .bmp .fnt files, the point is that there are old .bam files their names INITIALS.BAM, NORMAL.BAM, REALMS.BAM, STATES2.BAM, STATES.BAM STONEBIG.BAM STONESML.BAM TOOLFONT.BAM (and of course they are in override folder), and how to get the file .fnt and .bmp through it all i don't know, also: fontname - Do I need some names for these files? and resolution of .bmp 240x240 or something?

the most Great Riddle for me it is how game see Turkish Czech fonts without override files, i'm not see they font in data, lang, or other folders.
    Post edited by Somulo_ on
    edited March 2013
    @Somulo_ - Use DLTCEP 7.6a (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gemrb/files/Utilities/) to extract all the font files. Load your Chitin.key (c:\program files (x86)\baldur's gate enhanced edition\data\00766\chitin.key) in the DLTCEP settings menu. Then use Menu > Extraction > Extract from BIF > data/GUIfont.bif and filetype: .* and it will extract all font files to your override folder (c:\program files (x86)\baldur's gate enhanced edition\data\00766\override). This should give you a good start...
    Somulo_
    edited March 2013
    Archaic

cool! many thanks! so many work for one person...))) but "no pain, no game" *_*

• IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    Thank you for the feedback @Archaic.

The content of several BAM files (NORMAL, STONEBIG, TOOLFONT) are as they were in BG II and contain the charset for CP 1252 (Western Europe). The NORMAL.BMP looks like a display of the font, a bit like in Windows 7, with varying size according to an unkown rule, and somehow flipped vertically. This file contains extra characters that look a lot like the special characters found in the dialog.tlk for the Polish language, after extraction with WeiDU and display in Notepad++ (UTF-8). That may explain why the Polish language works in the game. Maybe the BMP file acts as an extension to the seemingly unchanged BAM file compared to BG II.
    I didn't see the cyrillic characters though.

I tried to view the FNT file but failed to find how to proceed. I tried as a FON file to display in Windows or with two free font tool found on the Internet, to no avail. The format does not match.

Archaic, do you have any clue how these files are used? Which files did you modify for your font mod?
    edited March 2013
    @Isaya - You're welcome. I'm in the same boat as you with the .fnt file. I have not done much research into figuring it out yet. For my font mod I simply changed the font to another in-game font via .chu files. I didn't actually override any fonts or create any just used was already available. I used a larger in-game font called STONEBIG.bam. Please let me know if you figure something out. You may want to contact one of the BGEE Team Members in the forum for assistance.