Skip to content

Best PC to compliment this party?

Currently I am using this party with a PC Monk:
Imoen
Viconia
Shar-Teel
Dorn
Edwin

I'm doing the monk specifically for BG2, but tbh, he's a bit boring to play and while I will definately finish the game with him for BG2, I really like this party alot and want to use them with a different class.

I'm kinda leaning towards a Ranger or Druid, for no other reason than they are classes, that are not represented in the characters above, but any other suggestions would be welcome.

On a side note,I'm currently in Durlags Tower, I have got as far as meeting someone with a certain type of hair, but cant seem to find a way to get any higher, specifically to the roof, where I believe there is a certain type of sword available, again, any help would be great.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited February 2013
    You might want to think about

1) a tank, although Viconia can function in that role. (Cavalier, Barbarian, Berserker, Figher/cleric, Ranger/cleric)

2) an auxilury caster who can identify. (bard kit or multi-classed mage)

3) an archer (ranger kit) depending on how you are using Shar-teel and Dorn.

If I remember correctly, the door to the roof is on the level below (there are steps outside).
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited February 2013
    It would help to know what Imoen and Shar-Teel do (dualed or not). I would probably say a tank, because with the exception of Viconia, none of these NPCs is able to function efficiently as tank. I don't see the need for a ranged fighter because that can be covered by Imoen, Shar-Teel and even Dorn. A druid might fit in, but the classes Fardragon suggests would all make better tanks.

Durlag's - the "certain hair" person is on the top level inside. The exit you are looking for is on the level where the small chest with the trap was. From that chest, it's one corridor to the east. From there, you can go up on the outside.
  • FiachFiach Member Posts: 231
    Thanks for the reply Fardragon, the only steps I have found outside seem to just lead to the parapets of the castle walls, maybe the 2d/3d gfx are throwing me off, I'll check it again., cheers.

I'll look into those kits, thanks for the suggestions :)

It would help to know what Imoen and Shar-Teel do (dualed or not). I would probably say a tank, because with the exception of Viconia, none of these NPCs is able to function efficiently as tank. I don't see the need for a ranged fighter because that can be covered by Imoen, Shar-Teel and even Dorn. A druid might fit in, but the classes Fardragon suggests would all make better tanks.

Durlag's - the "certain hair" person is on the top level inside. The exit you are looking for is on the level where the small chest with the trap was. From that chest, it's one corridor to the east. From there, you can go up on the outside.

Thanks KidCarnival, I found it thanks, I thought you needed to keep going "up" to get to the top, I guess I was wrong :)

Imoen or Sharteel wont be dualclassed, Imoen (thief/archer), Shar-Teel (dual wield), Viconia (dual wield), Dorn (Rancor/Archer), Edwin (harbinger of doom ) :)

Thanks for the help :)

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    edited February 2013
    I wouldn't dual-wield with Viconia. As a single-class cleric with low strength, her THAC0 will be absolutely abysmal for dual-wielding. She's better with a shield, slinging away.

A ranger or paladin might fit this party, except that it seems you're playing evil. And single-class druids aren't good tanks in BG1...

How about trying a Blade? They can't casually tank for every encounter, but defensive spin will let them temporarily tank when the going gets tough. And between an Offensive Spinning Blade, Shar-Teel, and Dorn, you have a frightening amount of offensive firepower at your command.
    Post edited by Madhax on
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    edited February 2013
    You have all the bases pretty well covered, so I suggest a multiclass (Fighter/Mage or Thief/Mage might be good) or some sort of bard (blade is best).
    I dont know anything about Blades, so I will definately check into that, thanks for the suggestions :)

As regards Vic, my thoughts were that I had two pretty good melee weapons, Basillus and something else, Stupifier or something, I figured that between her and Shar, they could get alot of hits in, it seems to be working OK so far, but this team will be a new playthrough, so I'll keep her as suggested :)

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Fiach said:

I dont know anything about Blades, so I will definately check into that, thanks for the suggestions :)

As regards Vic, my thoughts were that I had two pretty good melee weapons, Basillus and something else, Stupifier or something, I figured that between her and Shar, they could get alot of hits in, it seems to be working OK so far, but this team will be a new playthrough, so I'll keep her as suggested :)

With -2/-4 thac0 and 9 strength, i'm afraid Vic is unlikely to get in any hits at all. She is best with a shield and either a sling or Ogre power gauntlets and a single melee weapon.

If you want to dual wield the hammer and the mace effectively make a ranger/cleric.
    Thanks for that Fardragon, I wasn't aware how badly I had messed that up, cheers :)
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Hmm... perhaps a Sorcerer or another Mage class to compliment Edwin's arsenal? You've already got two melee combatants (Dorn and Shar-Teel) and two ranged (Imoen and Viconia), plus Viconia can handle the major healing/clerical duties (especially if you give her all three Tomes of Wisdom to boost her to 18)...
    If you want to stick to evil charname, Rangers aren't an option. You could make a blackguard paladin with a different focus than Dorn as tank, but frankly, I'd get a bit bored with the same kit twice. I started a Blackguard run some days ago, as tank, and had to keep Dorn to finish his quest for a certain armor for an NPC. And though charname fills Kagain's role, it did bore me quite a lot; I was glad when the quest was over and I could ditch him.
    You could, of course, just make a ranger and ignore the alignment. Charname won't leave the party due to reputation anyway, so it would only be a roleplay concern. Maybe your ranger tries to redeem his evil comrades or something, and it's not a pure evil party due to Imoen anyway.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    It is definitely possible to use a PC ranger in an evil party if you're not roleplaying. It should be noted, though, that rangers will Fall if your rep drops too low. According to Playithardcore, this threshold is 8 rep, which doesn't sound right to me (I thought it was lower than a paladin's, around 4-6). Either way, though, you'd be forced to maintain at least a neutral reputation, which your evil party members may not like.
    I have Kivan in a mixed party. Fits surprisingly well. With Imoen, it's mixed anyway, so a neutral rep is the way to go. 8 does sound wrong, it's only "disliked". I thought rangers and paladins would only fall in the "dispised" range.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    With that party, I think I'd play a Bard (or Bard-kit). Although Sorcerer wouldn't be a bad fit either.
    I tried a Blade, but had mixed feelings about it, wasnt quite sure how to play it, I tried an Archer and...fell :(.
    Currently I have a Cleric with Neera instead of Viconia and its fun so far, heading to Cloakwood now, after Nash and BC and havent had any problems so far, but I am managing my rep much more carefully, which kinda defeats any sense of freedom of choice you may have, regarding alignment.

Thanks for the replies :)
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I'm pretty sure the door to the roof of Durlag's Tower is on the second floor to the right as you walk in.

With Viconia, Dorn and Shar-Teel out in front you can get away without another front-liner. Shar-Teel is the most vulnerable, assuming that you want to have her launch attacks with backstabs, and then she's wearing studded leather. (Can Thieves stealth in elven chain?) But anyway, if you do make a tank-y sort of character you'll probably mop up.

A multi Fighter/Thief perhaps? Or a human Thief (Assassin?) with high stealth dualed relatively quickly to Fighter?

Thanks for the replies Lemernis. I found that door thanks.

I've settled on a Cleric at this stage (with neera instead of Vic) and quite enjoying it, seems more fun than the others I have tried so far.

Thanks for the replies :)
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Lemernis said:

I'm pretty sure the door to the roof of Durlag's Tower is on the second floor to the right as you walk in.

With Viconia, Dorn and Shar-Teel out in front you can get away without another front-liner. Shar-Teel is the most vulnerable, assuming that you want to have her launch attacks with backstabs, and then she's wearing studded leather. (Can Thieves stealth in elven chain?)

Yes they can, though get a slight penalty (-10% to MS), see:
    http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/chap6.htm

BTW fighter/thieves and cleric/thieves can wear Drizzt's +4 Mithril chain, which allows thieving *and* gives *no* penalty to thieving abilities. Of course, you've got to kill Drizzt, which is no mean feat, but it looks lie a mostly evil party, so feasible RP-wise at least
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Now with the new kits coming out very soon
    You might want to consider the Dwarven Defender Fighter Kit as your main Tank
    1/2 orc Barbarian might be good too
    or dump Imoen pick up Kaigain and go 1/2 orc or elf fighter/thief multiclass
    good luck keep us posted on how things are going
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    Any sufficiently polite PC should be able to compliment a party.
    Well, regarding Drizzt, while my character has heard of Drizzt, she respects his valour and combat prowess and consequently leaves him to his own devices. However, I'm sure that there will be some enterprising thief in the future, who would have no qualms about releiving him of that burdensome armour, if he knew what level of pickpocket would be needed :)

I have seen a thing on Dudleville on how to defeat Drizzt, but I would consider it an exploit, so I wouldnt do it.

@Ozzybotkins, well I wont hire Kaigan anymore, he's a sloppy drunk (caused my archer to achieve fallen status within ten minutes of hiring him, by hitting a peasant while "confused") and wont be picked again.

I could never dump Imoen, she's kinda like the most awesome cocker spaniel ever and regardless of what I do, she sticks by me through thick and thin :)
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Fiach said:

Well, regarding Drizzt, while my character has heard of Drizzt, she respects his valour and combat prowess and consequently leaves him to his own devices. However, I'm sure that there will be some enterprising thief in the future, who would have no qualms about releiving him of that burdensome armour, if he knew what level of pickpocket would be needed :)

You can't pickpocket his armour (you would need to kill him for that), only his scimitars. Only one of his Scimitars is usable by non-good characters, though Twinkle can be sold foir 5,500 gold.

A pickpocket score of around 160 seems reasonably reliable vs. Drizzt. You really do *not* want to fail the attempt! Personally I wouldn't pickpocket him if playing good (maybe with Chaotic Good) for RP reasons, but that's me.

The wandering merchant on the Durlag's Tower map sells Potions of Master Thievery (+40% pickpocket for each one used), and you can also get one on the Carnival area if you're quick about killing Vitaire.

Thanks for that Oxford_Guy, I dont think it's worth the hassle just for the sword, but the armour did look interesting, thanks for the heads up :)
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Pure kensai or

wait for the new dwarven defender kit in the upcoming patch.
    Djimmy said:

Pure kensai or

Djimmy said:

Pure kensai or

yes, I have seen a few mentions of Kensai, I'll have a look at that , cheers :)

• TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    It looks like your party has all the front liners it needs with Dorn, Shar-Teel, and Viconia. It really depends on what you plan to do with Imoen and Shar-Teel. If you dual them to a Mage or Thief, respectively.

I would say roll a Ranger/Cleric. You can buff, support tank, and have access to Druid spells.
    Tyranus said:

It looks like your party has all the front liners it needs with Dorn, Shar-Teel, and Viconia. It really depends on what you plan to do with Imoen and Shar-Teel. If you dual them to a Mage or Thief, respectively.

I would say roll a Ranger/Cleric. You can buff, support tank, and have access to Druid spells.

Yes, I have that line up with a Cleric, its very good, cheers :)