Skip to content

strength 18/71

I'm making a new character and i was rolling the stats and this came up, what does it mean, is it good?

Comments

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153
    Yeah that's good. Warrior characters who start with an 18 strength get a d100 roll added to their score. It makes them stronger than other classes with the same 18 strength.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    For weapons other than (cross)bows and darts, high strength adds a bonus to damage. When using melee weapons, it increases your chances to hit. It increases how much weight you can carry, and certain pieces require a certain amount of strength to equip. It also allows you to try and bash locks open, as an altnernative to using a thief.

The /?? is called exceptional strength. It is only availabe to warrior classes (fighters, paladins, rangers, and their respective kits). Like @atcDave, it's a number from 1 to 100 that improves your strength beyond a plain 18 value. A value of 100 is actually shown as 18/00.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    With 18/71 strenght (table row 18/51-75) you get the +2 thac0 adjustment (bonus to your attack roll with melee weapons), +3 to damage with melee weapons, you can carry 250lbs without encumbering yourself and have a 30% change to force a door open by force (not all doors can be forced open).
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited January 2013
    In general Str 17, 18 or 18/01-18/50 give you +1 THAC0 (to hit), 18/51-18/99 give you +2 THAC0 and 18/00 gives you +3 THAC0.

The exceptional strength numbers also give various levels of bonus damage to melee and some ranged weapons and affect carry weight.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I don't think non-warrior classes can gain this strength. If you use tomes or potions of _____ giant strength, it is set to full numbers.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I think the Strength spell sets your strength to 18/50 if you 18 (with no exceptional strength) or lower. And yes, non-warrior classes should gain the same benefits as warriors would.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153
    There's probably not many ways to get a non-warrior to a 18 exceptional strength, but if you manage, it should work just fine! (I have done it with Shadow Keeper).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295

I don't think non-warrior classes can gain this strength. If you use tomes or potions of _____ giant strength, it is set to full numbers.

Though non-warriors can't actually use Potions of Giant Strength (mages have the Strength spell by way of compensation)

• RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    I was thinking along the lines of a Bounty Hunter (with say 16 STR) who found themselves forced into melee combat. Having a Mage or a Cleric hurl a strength buffing spell their way would then be worth it.
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    RnRClown said:

I was thinking along the lines of a Bounty Hunter (with say 16 STR) who found themselves forced into melee combat. Having a Mage or a Cleric hurl a strength buffing spell their way would then be worth it.

That tactic works well to make a non-warrior more "punchy," as Minsc would say.