Skip to content

Building a map's resource library from the ground up.

MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
I'm fairly new to modding BG so I'm not familiar with the long history of what has already been achieved with map creation. So I'm asking if the following has been attempted or not because after the kitpack I'm working on with Requiem, I'm thinking of contributing some new regions to the game.

Basically what I have in mind is taking pre-existing BG1 maps and cutting out the components of a map via photoshop. I'll be making copies of the trees, roads, houses, bridges, walls, etc.... Then after collecting a sizeable resource library, I'll be able to piece together a map from scratch.

I just spent the last two hours collecting up to 20 different tree assets and by changing the hue of them I have more than I need. I've also started to harvest some terrain graphics that I can use to tile an entire map. Even some road graphics that I can piece into a winding pathway that can flow in any direction I want. BG1 is the perfect game to do this for since most of the maps have been pieced together with repeated graphics, while BG2 has maps that are more specific. For example it looks a bit ridiculous mashing up houses from Baldur's Gate, the Trademeet and Athkatla, it just doesn't look convincing.

The realistic goal is to add some maps to the north of the region up to the Way Inn, with the 'dungeons' of Dragonspear Castle, Warlock's Crypt and the Misty Forest. If the library I'm building becomes fairly extensive then it wouldn't be too much trouble to extend a bit into the Sunset Dale, namely the Fields of the Dead and Northdark Forest. With the unrealistic goal of reaching across to the Zhentarim's Darkhold. Sounds like alot of work but just as long as I don't tackle the creation of a city map, it's doable. Especially since the Iron Crisis provides a great excuse to quarantine the surrounding cities, then I won't have the problem of repackaging a city's contents into another.

So I'm really asking if any previous modder has created a resource library of map graphics. If so then it'll probably save me some time to just build upon what has already been created. If not, then I'll going to spend the next three months casually collecting bits and pieces until I have more than enough to start expanding north wards.

But for now, the Faiths of Faerun project is the priority. I just want to be able to get a headstart on this where possible.

Comments

• LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
  • YovanethYovaneth Member Posts: 691
    @kaeloree @Mordeus Sheesh - I've a shedload of stuff on my home PC but it's not what I'd call catalogued and it's cut from BG1, BG2, IWD1, IWD2, Arcanum, ToEE... But no, there's no central resource. Black Wyrm's Lair attempted to become a central resource but failed.

Also, I wouldn't really agree that using houses from one game in the other is unconvincing as it really depends on keeping a consistent architecture in any given area. So, no, I wouldn't mix Trademeet with Athkatla etc..

You might want to take a look here: http://www.shsforums.net/files/category/71-ie-modding-resources/ I'll see if I can upload anything that I already have and may be useful as it could save you some time and effort.
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    @Yovaneth Those FFT resources will certainly save me some time. Especially with the ships and buildings. Did you get any of the walls or terrain tilesets done? If not then that's something I can focus on.
  • YovanethYovaneth Member Posts: 691
    @mordeus It looks like those zips contain just about all I collected that's useful. Yes, I collected a lot of crap too! I didn't bother saving walls or terrain as they were both something I cut/pasted as needed.