Skip to content

About the flickering.

MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
I reported a bug recently, about flickering of some inventory icons. I would like to show/explain my problem clearly.

First of all, I have both vertical sync and triple buffering turned off. Like to many others, turning hardware accelerated cursor helped this problem, but caused new ones to me. When turned off, it cause my bottom UI to disappear after loading. Also cause blank black screen interval after leaving inventory/menu/journal, etc...

So I´m left with 2 options:
With hardware accelerated cursor, my inventory icons act like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_6b5YrC70

With hardware accelerated cursor off, I have lagging cursor, gaps between various game windows and UI looks like this after loading:
http://imageshack.us/f/687/baldri.jpg/

Comments

• Current Behavior: Interface layers flicker over top of each other as they are altered or new ones are opened.

Expected Behavior: Interface layers should overlap old data or older windows without showing previous screens.

Video Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVh6lHKXWtM&feature=youtu.be

System Information:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor, 3200 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2001, 3/8/2011
    SMBIOS Version 2.6
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 6.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 4.16 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 12.0 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 9.07 GB
    Page File Space 6.00 GB
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    Current behavior : Some icons in the inventory are flickering when picked. I just started the game, bought bastard sword, composite long bow and pack of arrows in Candlekeep Inn. While sword is fine, both bow and arrows are flickering when picked.

Expected behavior : Icons should not flicker.
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    Do they still flicker if you turn off "Hardware Mouse Cursor" in the Graphics options?
    Yes, tried that. Also checked if I have triple buffering and v-sync turned off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited December 2012
    I think the flickering could be fixed if you turn off triple buffering in your ... graphics card (i don't see it listed in your specs)

Meanwhile I upgraded from XP to Windows 7, installed newer drivers and the flickering disappeared.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    I thought I would mention that my graphics card monitoring software (EVGA Pecision software) causes this flickering for me. If I close it from my sys tray, it goes away.
  • Benjamin_the_RogueBenjamin_the_Rogue Member Posts: 9
    I thought I should come back and mention that everything works fine now after coming back from my trip and loading the updates. Thanks, Bioware. Keep up the great work.
  • DarksheerDarksheer Member Posts: 84
    @Benjamin_the_Rogue - Should propably be thanking Beamdog rather than Bioware. ;)
  • ParaspriteParasprite Member Posts: 22
    I had flickering issues unlike any of these after switching back from windowed mode. They were confined to the UI which had a similar flashing behavior but did not go away until I clicked [inventory] on the left (presumably anything would have worked) but continued if I changed to windowed mode and back.

On another note, the Wikipedia article for Multiple Buffering was an entertaining read.

OS X 10.8.3, Intel HD Grapics 4000
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Benjamin_the_RogueBenjamin_the_Rogue Member Posts: 9
    Darksheer said:

@Benjamin_the_Rogue - Should propably be thanking Beamdog rather than Bioware. ;)

You're totally right. What a dork I am. Too much time reading the Mass Effect forums. Forgot where I was.

THANKS, BEAMDOG! Good work!