Skip to content

Question about Charname alignment

During several other discussion going on here on the forum me and many others have surfaced thoughts about more substantial effects of alignment and reputation concerning party NPCs etc. Many people have been sceptical to these changes, some positive.

What I would like to know though is what effects alignment has at all currently? (Apart from setting your starting reputation between 8-12, which is rather meaningless since you can so easily get higher/lower rep without any caps. And how would people even know your alignment before you've left the shelter of Candlekeep anyway?)

Before I get sidetracked again... There currently appear to be no penalties for playing outside your alignment (unless you are a paladin or ranger and go on a killing spree of innocents), nor any rewards for playing inside the boundries of your alignment. I'm not sure what should be done about that but as it is the "big" alignment choice which very much defines your character has very little bark, and even less bite.

Thoughts/answers?

Comments

• helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    edited March 2013
    I guess the whole aligment thing made it into the game because it was in PnP. Afaik, what really counts in this game is reputation, which makes far more sense. After all, nobody knows what you think about evil or good, only know about your actions.

As a sidenote, i have always thought the aligment in d&d was very artificial. I think the chnages in aligment is one of the few changes i like in 4 ed.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,150
    In most PNP games I've played, alignment really only matters to clerics, paladins, and sometimes rangers. For others it's purely a role playing aid. And I guess I'm fine with that, there's no particular reason for it to impact the life of a fighter, thief or Mage. Except maybe for certain items and spells that key on alignment in some way; there's just enough of those that we generally need to know what the alignment is, but it doesn't otherwise matter.

But for "divine" oriented characters it can be quite the big deal. As a DM I've always payed attention to if players are playing clerics and paladins well. I think their powers are wholly contingent on serving their deity.

BG has little application for this apart from reputation on paladins and rangers. Ideally, something would track clerics too. But for now, I'm content to be left on my own recognizance.
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    Alignment doesn't affect the story much. It can affect certain mechanics like being able to wear specific pieces of gear (robe of the archmagi for instance) or how certain spells interact with you (such as Unholy Blight).

Even a lawful good character can go on a murderous rampage without alignment playing a role. The canon story assumes you are of some good alignment I believe but there's really no constraints in game.
  • The_Shairs_HandbookThe_Shairs_Handbook Member Posts: 219
    edited March 2013
    I'm thinking that there should be some aligment only based answers and quastion when you talk to npc...

i'm thinking If I am an CN charname it would be nice if i could give little bit CN answers and question to people...

also i think we should get bonus and penelty in recruiting followers that are very far from charnames aligment......

the same thing can be said about npc reactions maybe a low cha charname gets penelty on Reaction Adjustment when talking to a npc that are opposite aligment of him/her

Reaction Adjustment in cha is as now:
    Charisma Npc Reaction
    3 -8
    4 -7
    5 -6
    6 -5
    7 -4
    8 -2
    9 -1
    10 0
    11 0
    12 0
    13 +1
    14 +2
    15 +3
    16 +4
    17 +4
    18 +5
    19 +8
    20 +9
    21 +10
    22 +11
    23 +12
    24 +13
    25 +14
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited March 2013
    Well, that's kinda complicated. They sure have made it more alignment oriented in BG2 . So in BG1 adding extra alignment options would make a fine mod.

In BG1 they make aligment options more open, but the plot helps you define it : you are either trying to prevent the war, profit from it, or take advantage of it.

Should there be penalties for roleplaying against your alignment? I would say just a few , such as npc's complaining and certain people refusing to talk or help ya.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I was very upset with Temple of Elemental Evil, because while playing a Paladin I allowed a villain to live based on his word that he would change and help us. The next thing I knew I was a fallen paladin, what the balls?!
    This is my concern with alignment affecting things, a computer cannot detect intent. In pnp a player and DM can discuss these matters and a player can attempt to explain why he thinks his lawful good character would kill a helpless old lady, or why his chaotic evil character would help her cross the street. This is the problem with video games making moral choices, they are too black and white. Choice a= good Choice b= evil.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,150
    I would say its really even more complex than just good or evil intent. As I mentioned above, I think alignment is so crucial to any kind of cleric. If you want your cleric to serve a chaotic-neutral deity what will that look like? Honestly, I can't even imagine a computer tracking such things, I think it has to be left to the PNP games that can make better use of human discernment. BG does pretty well for a computer game, but some things are just beyond it. And I'm fine with having the role playing issues left to ME.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    What account is taken of alignment in the game mechanics is limited, and even so it's mostly restricted to Good/Evil choices. The difference between Lawful/Chaotic is pretty much completely ignored by the game. Thus alignment is mostly just a guideline for a player's own roleplaying choices, not primarily a game mechanic.

It'd certainly be possible to introduce some discrimination been Lawful and Chaotic, at least in dialogue options. However, it's obvious (from discussions in other threads) that the majority of people even in this forum have no clear (let alone agreed) understanding of what Lawful and Chaotic mean, and participants in this forum are probably much more clued-up than the average player, so I suspect that any game-mechanic which used Lawful and Chaotic would merely cause complete confusion to most players.

Thus it's probably a wise choice that Overhaul (and Bioware before them) have ignored Lawful and Chaotic. Maybe a mod could attempt to introduce a real difference, but the modder would have to be prepared for storms of complaint from players who don't have the same (or any) understanding of what Lawful and Chaotic mean.
  • StickanStickan Member Posts: 136

What account is taken of alignment in the game mechanics is limited, and even so it's mostly restricted to Good/Evil choices. The difference between Lawful/Chaotic is pretty much completely ignored by the game. Thus alignment is mostly just a guideline for a player's own roleplaying choices, not primarily a game mechanic.

This is what I'm so curious about. As mentioned by @helmo1977 it seems that alignment was only introduced to remain somewhat loyal to D&D PnP while it has little to no effect on gameplay.

A paladin is forced to pick Lawful good, but doesn't have to act either lawful nor good so what is so important about it then? To me the whole alignment thing for Charname at least seems superfluous. It feels like a really important choice the first time you make a character but you can play the exact same way if you play lawful good or chaotic evil with no consequence. It bothered me to no ends when I realised over ten years ago.

I think it would be fun if alignment had some sort of impact on your game. It wouldn't have to be anything major, just make you feel that the choice actually affected something. Right now it's about as decisive as your name. I realise a complete rework of the system is impossible, and that it will probably stay exactly the same. I just feel like alignment, along with some other variables (for example Charisma, feel free to not read my rant in the thread about party size) got forgotten in the game or were purposefully ignored to utilize time on more important implementation and design.
    @Stickan , it does have "some sort of impact" , just not a major one . However, I must say that I actually try to roleplay the character's alignment, even if the game doesn't care much about it.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    While I certainly agree that alignment could play more of a role, it should not change from how it allready is implemented. Any new content is more then welcome to utilize it for whatever (branching story/gear/encounters etc.) but I prefer there's no change to alignment itself or its effect on the core game.
  • LockLock Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2013
    The 2E alignment system isn't very good at all and I couldn't see much benefit from it having more of an effect on the game. The reputation system on its own generally makes good sense, however it's let down in execution sometimes by its links to the rigid alignment system.

In the case of evil characters I'd like to see the alignment system separated from your reputation as I can't really fathom why your average neutral evil character would mind if he or she had an excellent reputation amongst the plebs - more leeway to get away with dodgy and immoral acts behind the scenes. Berlusconi anyone? Chaotic nuts like Xzar however I could understand perhaps leaving if the public perceived you as being too excellent or if you committed certain lawful good actions. Sarevok however would be laughing all the way to the bank at the prospect of the masses adoring him. What is needed are triggers for certain evil characters to abandon you if you perform deeds of unexplainable goodness with no obvious personal benefits (and then maybe fail a charisma check to lie your way out of it).

Good alignment NPC's leaving if your reputation falls low is fine though as that would rankle them.
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    @Lock

Nice ideas for adding meaningful effects based on NPC reactions to reputation, etc. I like those.

In general, I mostly just use the alignment stuff as a roleplaying aid. I don't see any evidence that the designers intended for it to be much more than that.

But as others have mentioned (esp. @Gallowglass), it would be nice if the dialogue options offered more options geared towards Law / Chaos dynamics once in a while, or even options geared towards variations of my CHARNAME's chosen alignment.

Perhaps even a 9-studded dialogue wheel, with appropriate options for each hub? That would be interesting.
  • GawdzillaGawdzilla Member Posts: 86
    I seem to recall some NPCs getting struck by lightning when straying from their alignment..

The game made an effort to enforce it, but given all the possible interactions between all the different characters, it's impossible to flag everything via alignment. That's where role playing the character you created matters.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I really like @Nifft's idea. That system would stand a good chance to realistically reflect what NPCs care about.
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    @Nifft

Like it! You creating your own RPG? Looking for another artist? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • StickanStickan Member Posts: 136
    Nifft said:

A more nuanced Reputation system would be cool. Something like:

Hero <----------> Villain (current Rep, fueled by great deeds and forced on you by plot)
    Charity <----------> Greed (accepting or demanding payment)
    Forgiveness <----------> Vindication (seeking justice or retribution)
    Peaceful <-----------> Violent (choosing to fight when other methods are available)

Each NPC would have some axis that they care about. Neutral NPCs might care more about the Hero/Villain axis (and be happy with just being famous), while Good or Evil NPCs might care about the other axes more. For example, Kagain would be happy if Greed were favored (and he'll leave if Charity gets too high).

Another example: Monty likes violence, and so does Ajantis. Both of them can co-exist in a Violent party. Where they disagree is in Charity / Greed and Forgiveness / Vindication: if you stray too far into one extreme or the other, you'll lose one of them.

This is a very interesting idea, and something I would completely endorse. Of course implementation would still be hard at best. But in the best of worlds... :)
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    @KidCarnival @secretmantra - Thanks!
    Stickan said:

This is a very interesting idea, and something I would completely endorse. Of course implementation would still be hard at best. But in the best of worlds... :)

The devs would have to give us an expanded reputation opcode, and some way to specify which reputation types exist in the game, and which reputation type(s) each NPC cared about -- but then they could just let modders do the hard work of changing every quest reward, and adding new rewards to quests which lack them.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I can see many ideas to make from that start. You could even tweak the party interactions and breaking points because with those parameters, NPCs would finally be able to "understand" why charname does certain things - the classic issue of every evil NPC wanting you to be an axe-crazy maniac, for example. You could satisfy their agenda with greed (those that have a high emphasis on it, i.e. Kagain) without resorting to random commoner killing. It would not only reflect reputation better, but also alignment (especially the lawful-chaotic axis that barely exists as it is).
    edited March 2013
    Nifft said:

A more nuanced Reputation system would be cool. Something like:

Hero <----------> Villain (current Rep, fueled by great deeds and forced on you by plot)
    Charity <----------> Greed (accepting or demanding payment)
    Forgiveness <----------> Vindication (seeking justice or retribution)
    Peaceful <-----------> Violent (choosing to fight when other methods are available)

Each NPC would have some axis that they care about. Neutral NPCs might care more about the Hero/Villain axis (and be happy with just being famous), while Good or Evil NPCs might care about the other axes more. For example, Kagain would be happy if Greed were favored (and he'll leave if Charity gets too high).

Another example: Monty likes violence, and so does Ajantis. Both of them can co-exist in a Violent party. Where they disagree is in Charity / Greed and Forgiveness / Vindication: if you stray too far into one extreme or the other, you'll lose one of them.

Although it is quite interesting , and it could work , for me it feels rather quantitative . I would only download a mod like that if it came with npc banters about your decisions , such as kagain complaining about your selfless acts or kivan approving a revenge against the bandits.

Also, you've mentioned Ajantis and Monty co-existing because both appreciate a fight - now that would be more of a flaw than an improvement , since a paladin would never approve Monty's bloodthirst.