Neverwinter MMO :)

Cler1cCler1c Member Posts: 32
So who will be joining it? :)

I am for sure. :D

http://nw.perfectworld.com/
Fredjo

Comments

• VittordeVittoVittordeVitto Member Posts: 225
    =) i will check it out when its released.
    TeflonFredjo
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I will be checking it out at least... The main thing that has got me worried about the game is what exactly will they release for free and what not...
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Probably not. The letters MMO suggest it's not going to be brilliant.
    TJ_Hooker
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    ^It is going to be treated like Star Trek Online in which special items can be bought or can be achieved through collecting the current currency to convert to zen. I want to test how good the game is before diving fully in, thus we shall see if I get it as my next ground MMO as I have completely given up on TOR. I at least get to play the beta this weekend for free, which will be awesome.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    That MMOs have any succeses at all boggles my mind. I loathe every aspect of them, not least of which is the 'rent to play' portion.
    Shadowdemon
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

That MMOs have any succeses at all boggles my mind. I loathe every aspect of them, not least of which is the 'rent to play' portion.

What bugs me is the "play this dungeon again for more xp" that mmrpg's such as eberron or diablo offer.
    reedmilfam
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Not expecting very much from this, but will be beta testing it a little this weekend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    reedmilfam
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Bhaaldog said:

Indeed. To be successful you either like squandering a lot of real life cash or are on the verge of having no life...

I see MMO's as one of those ideas that is great on paper, but sucks in implementation. The games try to make themselves addictive (to keep you subscribed) and are more repetition-oriented than I like. PVP playing doesn't appeal to me, as I don't think the playing field is all that level and don't enjoy it anyway.

I tried so hard to like The Old Republic. Problem there (from macro scale - I could write all day on the micro) is that everybody is the big hero, saving the galaxy. Walking around, you'd see hundreds of them. That was eternally immersion breaking for me - and why I wouldn't even play F2P even if it had no limitations (meaning that if they made it completely free), which perhaps illustrates my loathing.
    Tested this game over the weekend.
    It is terrible. An awful use of the Neverwinter nights license. Avoid at all costs. It's a good thing it's F2p because I wouldn't pay £1 for this.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    ajwz said:

It is terrible. An awful use of the Neverwinter nights license. Avoid at all costs. It's a good thing it's F2p because I wouldn't pay £1 for this.

Too bad. This was the only MMO that I have been interested in trying. Well I guess it gives me more time to play BGEE :)
    ajwz said:

why?

edited March 2013

ajwz said:

why?

I could go into tons of depth, but it getting pretty late so I will just point out

1. There are currently only 5 playable classes. Two handed fighter and sword and guardian fighter are two of them. Find some full plate, and want to equip it to your guardian fighter? Too bad, its only usable by two handed fighters (all equipment is bound to a single class, so the loot in no way feels like D&D)

2. Found a plus two greatsword of lifesteal? Great, thats +2 to hit and dmg, and +1d6 life steal right?
    Wrong. Thats +107 to your attack stat, +57 to defense, +57 to critical chance stat, and regain 0.6% of you damage as a hit. Magic items in no way bear resembelance to their names and how they work in PnP. All the in game stats are completely brand new made up WoW style stats.

3. The main strength of D&D is character customisation. All classes have the same set skills and spells, you cant pick or customise. The only customisation is the feat system, and I use the term feats very loosely. No uncanny dodge or Iron will here - each character only gets a maximum of 9 assignable feats, and they are all just mathmatical stat boosts, such as +3/+6/+9% to maximum health, critical damage is increased by +2/+4/+6/+8/+10 % etc.

4. Pay to win pretty much everywhere.
    TJ_Hooker
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    So it's Neverwinter in name only. Bah, typical.
    I had hopes. Not high hopes, but still hopes.
    ajwz said:

ajwz said:

why?

I could go into tons of depth, but it getting pretty late so I will just point out

1. There are currently only 5 playable classes. Two handed fighter and sword and guardian fighter are two of them. Find some full plate, and want to equip it to your guardian fighter? Too bad, its only usable by two handed fighters (all equipment is bound to a single class, so the loot in no way feels like D&D)

2. Found a plus two greatsword of lifesteal? Great, thats +2 to hit and dmg, and +1d6 life steal right?
    Wrong. Thats +107 to your attack stat, +57 to defense, +57 to critical chance stat, and regain 0.6% of you damage as a hit. Magic items in no way bear resembelance to their names and how they work in PnP. All the in game stats are completely brand new made up WoW style stats.

3. The main strength of D&D is character customisation. All classes have the same set skills and spells, you cant pick or customise. The only customisation is the feat system, and I use the term feats very loosely. No uncanny dodge or Iron will here - each character only gets a maximum of 9 assignable feats, and they are all just mathmatical stat boosts, such as +3/+6/+9% to maximum health, critical damage is increased by +2/+4/+6/+8/+10 % etc.

4. Pay to win pretty much everywhere.
    Sad... really sad...
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    @ajwz

I was afraid of this. I found out about this game yesterday and got all excited. Then I saw it was free-to-play. Then I saw some actual game play footage.

The environments and visuals look really nice, but the game play looks horribly repetitive and doesn't seem to require any higher-level thinking or meaningful decision-making. Those are the things I look for in a quality RPG. Also, the "companions" came across like robots, rather than fleshed-out characters with personalities.

I guess BG has me spoiled for RPGs.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited March 2013
    Yes, that pretty sad because dnd online never satisfied me. The only thing I liked was the narrator...
    And was hoping Neverwinter was the "REAL" dnd mmo I would like to play. Will still try it because the gameplay looked fun but I'am expecting a city of heroes dressed as neverwinter. Hum... now that I think of it, that shouldnt be that bad.