Skip to content

Crafting a successful no-reload SCS core rules group

So I had a great time carefully progressing through SCS no-reload until certain fights proved too much for me. With the experience (aka metagaming knowledge) of my current minimal reloads group I'm hopeful to craft a group that can overcome the title challenge.

Is this something you have or would attempt?
What are your thoughts on how to do this?

Here are some thoughts I'd had:
- A mixture of custom characters (for OP kits) and NPCs might be best to be able to recruit the NPCs at level 5 or 6 for effective free XP.
- Wizards are the biggest challenge, particularly CC that they use like horror, sleep, confusion etc
- from above, tactics to counter the spells is important
----greenstone amulet
----berserker kit
----ranged characters avoiding the AoE
----chaotic commands (level 5 divine spell - Druid only in Bg1)
----potions

Too much time on my hands maybe ...

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Well, tactically speaking, the more protections you have against the enemy's disabling spells the better. Especially the mind altering spells. And anything that affects movement, of course. Scrolls and potions of protection against magic could prove very useful for some key fights.

I'd definitely get a Berserker and Barbarian in the line-up. Inquisitor seems a good fit here too.

In the SCS game I have planned, although not a no-reload game, I'm going to try an Assassin dualed to Fighter who has Grandmastery in Darts and hurls Darts of Wounding and Stunning. She'll also have two pips in Crossbow in order to try using the Light Crossbow of Speed with Bolts of Biting. With the stacking Poison Weapon kit feature for an Assassin, that's going to be a whole lot of poison damage with either darts (4.5 APR) or the crossbow (3 APR)--and Hasting will add another APR. This could be a devastating mage killer.

And you'll need some powerful spellcasters to strip the enemy wizards and priests spell buffs.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Those pros in Bioware forums have done no reload games from BG1 to Ascension, sometimes even solo. They have many great ideas and tactics.

I love challenging fights even more than a regular SCS user, as I edited scs.ini to add 3 levels to every spell caster in the game. But no-reload challenge does not attract me. I already play minimal reload, that is, load only on protagonist death.

You need to pick your fights, and completely eliminate the danger to make a no reload work. No matter how good your saving throws are, you really shouldn't be in a situation where you must make a saving throw or 'die' (basilisk gaze, sirine charm, green slime touch, ghoul/ghast paralysis, hold person spells, etc.) Like, you have -10 AC and a save vs paralysation of 3, you think you can go toe to toe with ghasts safely? No! One critical hit and you roll 1 or 2 in your saving throw and you are dead. The end. Never engage in melee with ghouls/ghasts unless you have protection from undead or free action or negative saving throws, all which can be attained with scrolls/potions/spells etc.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Whatever happened to "Summons, summons and more summons" being the solution to many of these questions?

Basilisks? Animate Dead.
    Sirenes? Animate Dead.
    Spellcasters? Animate Dead and Summon Monster. Repeatedly, until they run out of spells.

Summon your front line, summon your "bait", and never, ever risk your party. With a thief to play frontline commander for your Summons and a team of mages to keep your enemies busy fighting the fodder, rather than your people, your basic protection becomes "you are never the target".

So...

A main character with a Faerie Dragon familiar, for guaranteed enemy immunity whilst resting, ideally CG Mage/Thief for scout/puppet mastery.
    Ranger/Cleric sub for Animate Dead and slinger dominance.
    The rest can be just plain "underpowered" NPCs without even remotely denting your chances of domination, or left blank entirely, which makes Invisibility + Sanctuary no risk resting much simpler.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I haven't had any luck using dispel magic in any of the serious fights, I figure the level difference is too big.

Hopefully later it'll balance out more.

I figure either a bard or Druid (cl 10) or inquisitor (cl 12 with 1.5x cl) should definitely be in the lineup.

Is getting +50% darts/round really worth losing x4 backstabs and shorty saves on a pure thief as an example?

I'd go daggers over darts. With 19 strength (from one source or another) you end up doing some serious damage throwing 3.5 daggers/round and can apply poison via dagger of venom backstabs.

I think my current single custom character group that ill try is something like:
    Illusionist/thief charname with staff of striking
    Yeslick tank
    Coran damage dealer/locks/backstabs
    Dorn damage dealer
    Faldorn healer/summons
    Baeloth boom!

Identical to my current group besides charname class from cleric to illusionist.
    @lunar that only applies to solo, no big deal if 1 or 2 (sometimes even 3 or 4) succumb to save or die as long as there's someone left to carry the torch (and the corpses).

@Pantalion
    Summons are definitely great and I've used them quite a lot but there are quite a few fights where they wouldn't be an option due to the time to summon and buff.

Plus, I like to actually have fun.

I was thinking something like:
    Berserker (7)/Druid (9) w/Scimitar*****
    Berserker (6)/Cleric (8) w/Stupifier (and Ashideena)
    Berserker (7)/Thief (8) w/Scimitars*****, crossbow*
    Berserker (5)/Mage (9) w/longswords*** and daggers **
    Skald (10) halberd, longbow, greatsword
    Helm cleric (5)/thief (9) w/staff of striking

Fits my playstyle of as many in melee as possible. Beginning game would be hard until a healer becomes available but the group would be godlike eventually.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Wowo said:

Helm cleric (5)/thief (9) w/staff of striking

Fits my playstyle of as many in melee as possible. Beginning game would be hard until a healer becomes available but the group would be godlike eventually.

That last guy, the Helm Cleric, is a great healer for the early game.

Personally I'd consider a Ranger 3 > Cleric for the Stupifier dual-wielder. He'd also come on-line fast relative to the Druid, so you would never have a healer gap.
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    well I'm doing something similar right now. The idea was to create a powerful custom party able to win even SCS battles with ease. I could have gone more powergamy (only 2 dual classed characters) but i'm pretty happy with this set up. Stats are fairly low key (mostly in 80-85 range)

So, here's my party (loosely based on BG2 tactic's mod Red Badge Poison Encounter, jejeje)

main character: human dual assassin 5--> fighter 8 (when maxed), dual wielding dagger of venom and scimitar+2 (i'm not killing drittz), grand mastery in daggers & 19 strengh (so high APR and damage), every skill points into stealth, posion weapon ability twice a day, 60+ damage per backstab (and on top of that there are so few (if any) enemies immune to backstab). He only needs 42000 xp to complete the dual process, which is quite early in the game. I keep him in leather (shadow armor) and used shadow keeper (EE version) to change his avatar back to thief. Main damage dealer.

Human Dual berserker 3 --> cleric 8 (when maxed), grand mastery in maces (stupifier, staff mace+2), tanking with full plate + shield + berserker rage (why would you need summons for killing sirines?), 21 wisdom with the tomes (too bad he can't cast lvl 5 spells), quick dualling process

Human Blackguard 8 (when maxed), high strengh, full plate, 2-handed sword & style, backup archer, really good abilities

Elf swashbuckler 10 (when maxed), 20 dex, crossbow of speed & those nice poisoning crossbow bolts. Takes care of traps&locks and set a trap every now and then

Gnome multi cleric/illusionist (7/7 when maxed). Spells, spells, spells, i'm not even giving him a sling

Half-Elf Conjurer 9. Main arcane caster

I use lots of buffing and disabling spells combos with my casters (i.e. haste+pro evil 5'+defensive armory for me and malison+slow+silence for them) and then use poison ability for a quick ending fight. Still have to go through ToSC fights but so far... really fun.

SCS makes this game so much fun!
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    edited March 2013
    Pantalion said:

Whatever happened to "Summons, summons and more summons" being the solution to many of these questions?

Basilisks? Animate Dead.
    Sirenes? Animate Dead.
    Spellcasters? Animate Dead and Summon Monster. Repeatedly, until they run out of spells.

Summon your front line, summon your "bait", and never, ever risk your party. With a thief to play frontline commander for your Summons and a team of mages to keep your enemies busy fighting the fodder, rather than your people, your basic protection becomes "you are never the target".

So...

A main character with a Faerie Dragon familiar, for guaranteed enemy immunity whilst resting, ideally CG Mage/Thief for scout/puppet mastery.
    Ranger/Cleric sub for Animate Dead and slinger dominance.
    The rest can be just plain "underpowered" NPCs without even remotely denting your chances of domination, or left blank entirely, which makes Invisibility + Sanctuary no risk resting much simpler.

The thing about Summons in SCS, is that with the improved AI ( not just for Mages ) they're practically the last thing the enemy goes for with attacks and spells. Unless of course, you have 50 Knolls on the field surrounding a caster or something, and if he's protected, he'll throw a Fireball/Sunfire and wipe them all out.

But since that's not the case in EE, they'll largely ignore them until your party is stunned, confused, or disabled via other means. The same applies for Tutu.

And OP, my Skald would love your party. +2's for everybody!

With that many dual classed characters, expect a lot of frustration if you're running that team through one play through. I have two dual classed characters as I speak in a party of five and it's kind of tedious.

Skald 10 ( Silke <3 previous play through )

Avenger 7
    Wizard Slayer 6/ Druid 5
    Assassin 6/ Mage 5
    Monk 6

It was just a 4-man party, but after dualing, brought in my Monk since the WS is a Druid for a few more levels.

This is not a legit party, just customs I want to use later on in multiplayer. Once the duals are leveled, I'll put in my Cleric from a previous play through for buffs and to cap them.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    @Wowo

Melee is the antithesis of Hardcore runs. You cannot ever compensate for the power of Random, you can only avoid the situations where it comes up. Yes, it applies more to solo, but it never stops applying, melee is where you sent your lowly peons fighters to go die.

Of course, if that's how you enjoy it, that's fine, personally I find dual classing in general to be as enjoyable as stabbing myself in the eye with a spoon, but it's more important to play the way you enjoy than it is to play in the most optimal way, even with a hardcore run.

@Copastetic1985

The thing about cautious summoning play, is that your main party is rarely, if ever, a target in the first place. Your thief is always hidden, and your summons are always moving ahead of them. As the only viable target they can see, summons will always be their target of choice, with only your scout being in any real danger of collateral damage.
    Pantalion said:

@Wowo

Melee is the antithesis of Hardcore runs. You cannot ever compensate for the power of Random, you can only avoid the situations where it comes up. Yes, it applies more to solo, but it never stops applying, melee is where you sent your lowly peons fighters to go die.

Of course, if that's how you enjoy it, that's fine, personally I find dual classing in general to be as enjoyable as stabbing myself in the eye with a spoon, but it's more important to play the way you enjoy than it is to play in the most optimal way, even with a hardcore run.

@Copastetic1985

The thing about cautious summoning play, is that your main party is rarely, if ever, a target in the first place. Your thief is always hidden, and your summons are always moving ahead of them. As the only viable target they can see, summons will always be their target of choice, with only your scout being in any real danger of collateral damage.

I can't fully agree on that. Maybe in a vanillia play through of Tutu or EE, but not so in the SCS mod from what I've seen in my previous three games.

I've tried using summons like in vanillia and like most of us have everytime we've played this game over the years. To me now, its about 30/70 thing. 30, being in your favor that the AI will target the summons.

In my recent runs with the mod, I only give my Cleric two slots for Animate, and keep one Wand of Summoning with at most ten charges to use throughout the game. They're that useless to me from my experience with SCS.
    @Pantalion
    Don't expect more than one wave of summons though. After its wiped out the wizards tend to go invisible and start looking for whoever summoned it.
    Wowo said:

@Pantalion
    Don't expect more than one wave of summons though. After its wiped out the wizards tend to go invisible and start looking for whoever summoned it.

Yep. When the AI targets, they seem to have a priority to target highest AC, then to lowest health.

For instance: I was heading to Knoll Stronghold. Rested before leaving for next zone. Tank intercepted initial aggro from the three Ogre Berserkers after they had targeted my Skald, further away than my tank, Monk, and Druid.

Backed the backline up some, sent Monk in who had half health. Even though all three Ogres were swinging away at my Fighter, all three instata targeted Monk and killed him right as he approached. Then went back to the tank.

They target smartly. The creator did a good job.