Skip to content

First time BGEE, some questions.

SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
Hello everyone! I downloaded BGEE earlier today and this is the first time i'm on this forum. Now i got a couple of questions and statements (Which is my opinion) . Some of them might seem a little 'flamey' but i'm not after whining about this game, i'm hopefully able to fix a couple of problems i have with it instead.

I have played baldur's gate since the release of the first game, and i know this series like the back of my hand. I normally play with Trilogy installed (And SCS, but that doesn't matter here) . And the fact that BGEE runs the BG2 ToB engine makes me put it up against trilogy when it comes to quality. I play this on a PC.

Now to get to the questions!

1.) The zooming has no meaning? It's a nifty little ability but i can't see any use for it. And when you zoom in close it's just like using paint. It'll be larger but also lose most of the details. Am i looking at it the wrong way? Is this something that was made for the IPAD / Tablet?

2.) When you loot gold it looks very badly pixelated? It's hard to explain but it's the same with the LBS in inventory. It just looks... shabby? Also when you loot scrolls from a case there is this square around the scroll? And last but not least the way the potion is in your inventory with the number in the corner of it looks odd, and it shrinks when you take it up to place it in your quick bar. Theese are small things, and it's not the end of the world. I just want to know if it's my graphics, or if i can do something about it?

3.) Is it possible to disable the help button on the side of the screen? This should be in the options, and not on the same side as my party inventory etc.

4.) I thought they would use the BG1 avatars and not only the paper dolls? As my knowledge with this is very limited, i don't know how hard / time consuming it would be to fix this.

5.) When my character clicks on stuff or get bored, it comes down in my chat window what he sais. Is this disabled by the 'subtitles' options, and if i disable it will i still be able to see things over characters heads? (Like sarevok encounter at start)

6.) When i go to the store, i can see that every buy option is grayed out. Is this because i already have them? Haven't left candlekeep yet so haven't been able to search for new NPC's. I bought it from steam for the 18.99.

7.) How hard is the new content? I'm used to playing with SCS and tactics. Ofcourse i'm not expecting it to be as hard as these, but are we talking about Durlag's tower hard, or easier/harder?.

8.) Is it possible to get some kind of borders around the portraits?

9.) Is there a config for graphics and such? Also when i go into the baldur.ini from BGEE it looks like a mess and ieverything is on one line, this doesn't happen when i go into the BG1/2 one. I'm using notepad normally, should i use another program to make it clearer?

I'll probably add some more questions as i get forward in the game. And i just want to say i'm not here to flame this game, i love everything about Baldur's Gate and i'm sure i'll love this edition aswell. I'm just trying to see if some of the quirks i have with it are possible to fix or work around. And i'll gladly pay any money to support the work on this great series, so for me it's still worth every penny.

-Sion

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited March 2013
    1) Yeah, I've never found any use for zoom.

2) I haven't noticed anything like this

4) I don't know much about this, but I think it may be because the BG1 animations didn't support dual wielding, or something like that.

5) Turning off subtitles will prevent these lines from showing up in the dialog box, and you'll still see the words above characters' heads during cutscenes.

6) Yes, the PC version of the game includes all the extra content by default.

7) I think it's about on par with the rest of the vanilla game (so likely easier than Durlag's Tower).

9) Use something other than notepad. Wordpad works well.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited March 2013
    Thank you very much for the answers, it's hard to explain #2 but in my game the xx/320 LBS numbers look shabby, and the gold looks like it's pixelated with a lesser quality when you loot it. It looks alright when you look at it in your inventory.

10.) What is the easiest way to put up the resolution on this game?

11.) The red marker that comes on the ground when you move forward, is it possible to change this back to the green circle or such?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    10) In baldur.ini, add the following line:
    'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '0',
    That will show everything in its native resolution, which may help with some of the blurriness (although, fair warning, it also will make some UI screens look weird; not unusable, just weird).

11) In Options>Gameplay, unselect "Colored Markers".
    Amazing help with quick replies, what more can be asked for? Thank you!
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited March 2013
    Oh, yeah, now I think I know what you mean in #2. There had been some issues with people having a hard time reading the numbers when playing at high resolutions, so the devs increased the size. Unfortunately blowing it up to a bigger size caused it to look pixelated and kinda crummy. There were some requests to improve this, or to add an option to revert to the old size, but I don't think anything became of it.

10) I'm not even sure if you can change the resolution, except for in windowed mode. I think the game's supposed to just automatically be at your native resolution.

11) Options>Gameplay>Feedback>Colored Markers

Edit: Ninja'd
    edited March 2013
    TJ_Hooker said:

Oh, yeah, now I think I know what you mean in #2. There had been some issues with people having a hard time reading the numbers when playing at high resolutions, so the devs increased the size. Unfortunately blowing it up to a bigger size caused it to look pixelated and kinda crummy. There were some requests to improve this, or to add an option to revert to the old size, but I don't think anything became of it.

I hope it's possible for the devs to come up with a solution to this problem later on. But it's not game breaking.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited March 2013
    Bhaaldog said:

Question 7) rather depends upon how skilled or experienced you are with the game.

Was thinking more like one of theese options.

1.) Fights that wipe your whole party the first time, then with meta knowledge aren't much of a problem. (Durlag's, Watcher's keep, Underdark)

2.) Fights that are easy from get-to-go. (The whole of BG1 with the exception of Durlag's)

3.) Fights that there is always a chanse you'll die on, even having done them several times (Beholders, Mind flayers, Liches)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Great, i'm looking forward to it. Thank you for your answer!
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    SionIV said:

11.) The red marker that comes on the ground when you move forward, is it possible to change this back to the green circle or such?

The circle takes the color of your primary clothes. You can turn it off, or use it to color-code a party after their functions. I found it useful to see at first sight if my archer is happily wandering off into melee and such.