Skip to content

First part of Baldurs Gate after bridge

CodebakerCodebaker Member Posts: 23
edited March 2013 in Mac OS X (Archive)
HI,

is it just me or does the first map after the BG bridge have a repeating broken sound?

I did reinstall the game, but that didnt help. I can set the ambience sound volume to 0, then this sound is gone. (Among with the atmosphere :( )

Hear for yourself:
http://www.codebaker.de/bg/bg_town_first_map.mp3

Comments

• AlexMAlexM Member Posts: 110
    Good news! We have a fix for this issue and it will be available in the next patch.
  • CodebakerCodebaker Member Posts: 23
    Take your time.

Going to finish the game this week.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Sounds like some contractors are doing some heavy renovations to the Elf Song Tavern. They must be really desperate for overtime pay since they work around the clock.
  • CodebakerCodebaker Member Posts: 23
    edited April 2013
    overtime... :D
    But that bug brought me to think about the App design of the iOS and Mac client. I am not sure where to put my thoughts, so this thread will do I hope.

There is no rule which say you may not alter your apps. Only thing you may not alter is the code as the code is the critical thing that might be malicious and thus is reviewed. As for a damaged soundfile or a picture where Nera portray shows someone else, lets say Khalid for example, is nothing that have to be reviewed.
    The data an app uses is free to alter/maintain/update/expand or fixing on a users device using a web service of your own. Especial with BG where everything is driven by scripts and non executable resources. Sure, you shouldn't abuse that freedom.

It is of course good app design to come with a complete set of data so the user wont have to download some gb just to start.

if I recall correctly, the Infinity engine was actually build with such an updatesystem in mind. The override folder. Put this one in the documents folder of the sandbox directory of your app. Tag it to NoBackup by iCloud and let the client check with beam dogs server for updates every once in a while or manually - whatever the user prefers. Way less trouble with updating. Every code update you need to validate the override folder for obsolete files or you just wipe that folder and ask the service if there are any update for your client version. Well you have such an infra structure already, so why not use it. :)
  • ParaspriteParasprite Member Posts: 22
    edited April 2013
    Fascinating! Up until now I thought it was intentional. More like "this is a large, industrialized city and there happens to be factory work going on".

It didn't really occur to me that the noise itself makes no sense in BG context...however...