Skip to content

Temple of Elemental Evil on a Mac?! Heresy abounds...

StickanStickan Member Posts: 136
"Evil 'round every corner. Careful not to step in any..."

So... While waiting for the BG1 NPC project and having way too much spare time I decided to have a go at ToEE since I've heard it mentioned in several places around the forum. The only problem is that I'm on a Mac...

I checked the web for a wrapper, found one by the Porting Team and happily spent 5.99$ (so cheap!) for ToEE on Good Old Games. Once I started the installation process however I encountered several difficulties. And since I'm not sure what the problem is I'm going to try to be thorough in my explanation.

First: When I download the wrapper from The Porting Team it's not in a usual zip format (.7z) and once I managed to unzip it (with Sulfit Expander) my Mac doesn't recognize its format other than as a generic program (you know with the blank paper icon and a pen and brush in the lower right corner). I think that might be part of the issue I'm having further on.

Second: The cider tool Xinstaller doesn't work on systems beyond 10.6 and since I'm running mountain lion 10.8.2 that's bad news. I circumvented this by installing ToEE (and the Circle 8 modpack I was told was a necessity) in an existing wine wrapper I use for another game (good old Age of Empires II) and then moved it into the cider wrapper. (This was suggested on the porting team site)

Third: Now when I try to start the game (after setting the wrapper path to the correct location for ToEE.exe) the program won't start and I get the usual "program quit unexpectedly" after a short while.

So now to my questions:

Is there anything flawed in this installation process or is it likely that the wrapper itself is broken or uncompatible? I have no previous experience with cider, I have used wineskin a bit, but only simple stuff or modifying existing wrappers.

Alternatively: Does anyone know where I could get my hands on an existing wineskin wrapper for ToEE or how much work it would take to create one myself? If I need to create one myself I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of a tutorial =)

I really would love some help, and there appears to be plenty of really clever people on the forum so I thought I'd try my luck!

Comments

• Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    This is why I don't buy a Mac. So many unsupported file formats and technical issues. My brother even regretted buying one himself after how limited Macs are in comparison to other PCs. I wonder why people even buy Macs at all. Mind you, Microsoft fucked up just as badly with Windows 8, but still.
  • StickanStickan Member Posts: 136
    Apart from the "They just work" argument? ;) My Mac is awesome, I never liked Mac until I had one myself but now I love them. It's not the OS's fault that games aren't released for it, otherwise there are very few "technical issues", much less so than on my windows PC.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Well, knowing my PC broke down again for the third time in 4 years, you miiiight be right there. :p Anyway, I'm not that tech-savvy, but I still hope your issue gets solved. :)
  • StickanStickan Member Posts: 136

Well, knowing my PC broke down again for the third time in 4 years, you miiiight be right there. :p Anyway, I'm not that tech-savvy, but I still hope your issue gets solved. :)

Haha, well... Less than once a year is not a bad record ;) And thank you, still hoping someone smarter than me will waltz this way.