Skip to content

Game Mechanisms: Inventory in Chests

DrizzoDrizzo Member Posts: 2
edited March 2013 in General Modding
Hi everybody!
I was wondering if anybody of the modders in this forums got any insights on they way that items are saved in treasure chests, that he or she can share with us.
Im no modder at all, but my thoughts are the following:

1 Items that you store in chests in permanent(!) areas are permanently saved.
2 The only place where this is possible to be done by the game is in the 'baldur.sav' in your document-folder.
3 i already searched this document for "AR2300", which is the ingame name for Friendly Arm Inn, where i have a chest with lots of precious items. It seems to me, that all that letter/digit gibberish shown in the document regarding this location is more extensive than this of other areas, what makes sense, because i might have like 200 items stored in this chest. So the information must be there !!

My question is, is there any chance, that u could youse the code in the save file, if u r able to extract the correct segments reagrding ur items, in order to transport items or maybe the whole chest from savegame to savegame ? Even von BG1 to BG2 ?
Is there any chance to "overwrite" any other chests in the game with information from another ?

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

EDIT:
Which a little help of NearInfinity i was able to copy the 600-items containing chest into a new game. Actually i simply copy and pasted. Still i overwrote into the same box, again located in friendly arm inn, i will now try to get my items into candle keep.

Since i currently havent got BG2 installed, can someone please try to use the same method to import items between the two games ?

NOTE: I dont consider this CHEATING, my intention is to keep the items i hardly acquired with my character, to store them in my later owned fortress, like the Planar Spere, would simply give me a good feeling, RPG-wise u know ;-)
Post edited by Drizzo on

Comments

• DrizzoDrizzo Member Posts: 2
    Long story short: i just imported 600 items from BG1EE to an unpatched BG2.
    Some of the magical items are not known though, or appear to lose some of their abilities, but im looking forward to more cross-game item-compability when BG2EE comes out!