Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Thieves Guild and cloak of non-detection

I'm quite dissapointed by the guild.
Not in the missions they do ( they're awesome ), but in another sense.

If you're not polite to Alatos "Ravenscar" Thuibuild he will send his thieves to deal with you and fights you himself.

Now the thing here is is that the guild is entirely incapable of combat, including Ravenscar himself, even though he is worth 2000 exp for killing and carries a +2 dagger, wich is always nice.

How about making the guild actually a bit more threatening than that?
I know, his best thieves are in jail and these thieves surely are just the pickpocketing types, but add in a few well scripted assassins hidden in the shadows to make it an actual fight?

Have them backstab, use potions of invisibility, darts of wounding, that sort of thing.
Perhaps even make Ravenscar dual wield a shortsword along with his dagger, and actually script him as well, using potions of invisibility, oils of speed, detect illusion.
Something decently challenging but not throwing in too much heaps of exp.

Now the next thing I ask for is quite simple.
I'm sure everybody noticed the cloak of non-detection has no use ( in bgee or bg2 ) whatsoever.
No enemy uses low level spells to detect invisibility or the thieves ability for it, making this cloak pretty much useless, since it does'nt work against true seeing.

So, maybe have a few mages/ thieves actually detect invisibility to try and get rid of your backstabs,
especially during the final battle this could be handy, and it gives the cloak an actual purpose.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VherdelVherdel Member Posts: 40
    Bhaaldog said:

Vherdel said:

I'm sure everybody noticed the cloak of non-detection has no use ( in bgee or bg2 ) whatsoever

But such wonderful attire looks rather good on a lady...
    Wich is funny, since the item is made for the purpose of not being seen.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I usually have my thief mains use the item for no other reason than it fits them RP-wise. Though I probably wouldn't have it on a swashie.
    Same here, but it feels like much of a waste if it does'nt really have a purpose does'nt it?
    I guess, but what other cloak am I gonna use? Balduran's is the best, but I usually put it on Viconia so she can be a godlike mage-tank (or a tank in general). The others aren't really worth it, since Shadow Armor (and Drizzt's Mithril Chainmail for F/Ts) count as magical so the Protection items are out if you're wearing them. That leaves you with Relair's Mistake, but I guess transforming into a wolf is better than having no effect.

Plus the cloak is called Whispers of Silence. How can I not wear it?
    Thats true, the thing is however you could just as well not wear any cloak there and basically have the same effect.

Also, since I like to solo a lot my assassin usually takes baldurans cloak anyway, but if the cloak of non detection had an actual use, I would certainly keep it close by.
  • StickanStickan Member Posts: 136
    I use Algernon's cloak or the nymph's cloak so that my bard can be extra fabulous!
    Stickan said:

I use Algernon's cloak or the nymph's cloak so that my bard can be extra fabulous!

I forgot about them. Somehow.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742

Balduran's is the best, but I usually put it on Viconia so she can be a godlike mage-tank (or a tank in general).

i had viconia for the first time in the cloak of balduran and when buffed she was probably my best NPC. 75%MR, 18 con with a fortitude potion, 21 str with DUHM and holy power, thac0 of an equal level fighter, 18 dex -9AC, 2apr with haste

what a sexy tank!

• Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    edited March 2013
    Viconia is hands down the best NPC in BG. It doesn't take much to make her shine at all. Give her a little lovin' with those Gauntlets of Ogre Power, at least Ankheg armor, and that spiffy Warhammer and she's set.

And hold the phone. Non-Detection is useless in EE? As in, broken and doesn't work or, are we talking about vanilla where no enemies have True Sight or Detect Invisibility etc.?

If it's the latter, cool, that's what I figured you all were talking about.
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    CHARNAME is one lucky dude when it comes to Viconia.

Viconia is hands down the best NPC in BG. It doesn't take much to make her shine at all. Give her a little lovin' with those Gauntlets of Ogre Power, at least Ankheg armor, and that spiffy Warhammer and she's set.

And hold the phone. Non-Detection is useless in EE? As in, broken and doesn't work or, are we talking about vanilla where no enemies have True Sight or Detect Invisibility etc.?

If it's the latter, cool, that's what I figured you all were talking about.

Its indeed the latter.
    Also, non-detection does'nt grant protection from true sight.