Skip to content

Who can Dorn romance?

What are the restrictions on romancing Dorn? Race, alignnment, and so on.

Comments

• NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
    Good question. I am on like chapter 4 I think and the only thing he told me was "hhmmm.. maybe you and me... never mind...". That's it.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    edited January 2013
    Charname only needs to be a guy, for Dorn to romance him, I've heard.

EDIT.: ...or a girl, I see. :S
    Post edited by Calmar on
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Not true, Dorn is bisexual. No racial restrictions either, and I think Good characters can romance him too (though it's problematic from a RP perspective - he's Evil and he likes it.) :)
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    The only requirement is doing his quest.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Odd, his romance never initiated with me. I assumed he wasn't into elves.
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    So let me get this straight: the murderous evil guy is the only romance in the series that isn't incredibly picky?
  • LamorackLamorack Member Posts: 24
    Romanced Dorn as a half-elf neutral good character with no problems... RPing wasn't even a big issue as you don't have to approve that much of Dorn's actions to like him (if that makes any sense).
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    shawne said:

Not true, Dorn is bisexual. No racial restrictions either, and I think Good characters can romance him too (though it's problematic from a RP perspective - he's Evil and he likes it.) :)

Are you serious? Bisexual? Hope you are joking.

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @Djimmy: He's available as a romance option for both male and female Bhaalspawn, so... no?
  • MokonaMokona Member Posts: 89
    Dorn's awesome and plays for both teams. A must-have NPC
  • jcdenton11jcdenton11 Member Posts: 20
    My CG Half-Orc male Cleric of Lathander accidentally initiated the romance dialog, at least the first part,because I complemented his voice (flirting, if I had taken the time to read the text correctly), while I was romancing Neera.

I was laughing picturing the two inconspicuous fellows holding hands while walking the streets of Baldur's Gate in full plate, armed the teeth.

Never got further than that with Neera or Dorn, but I think Neera might be bugged in my game, Dorn at least told me the rest of his tale.
  • DunhartDunhart Member Posts: 11
    Pantalion said:

Who can Dorn romance?

He's a 19 Strength 7 foot tall half-orc bisexual. Dorn can romance whoever he wants.

That's quite possibly the funniest thing I've read all week.

I've only recently started playing BGEE and I quite like Dorn so far. He's not stupid evil (although I was rather annoyed that I had to get a mod to remove NPCs leaving due to reputation) or a psychopath like most of the classic evil NPCs.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I would like to see a non-evil bisexual or gay NPC, though. As Imoen would have said it, Realms need more queer fellows! :-D
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2013

Isn't Imoen lesbian in the novels?

That's what I was referring to! :-) She sleeps with Phaere and develops a crush on Melyssan in the novels...surprisingly, I did not find those turn of events very unlikely or unpleasant. Okay, as painful as most of the novels were, I enjoyed those parts, lol.

I can't forgive what the novels do to her in the end, though. :'-( just for our hero to have extra..so..much..angst..
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Djimmy said:

Hoo, boy, this oughta be good. Is that a problem for you, champ?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    edited March 2013

Djimmy said:

Hoo, boy, this oughta be good. Is that a problem for you, champ?
    If it does he probably doesn't want to tell Dorn that. Might be bad for his health.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    edited March 2013
    (Not getting back into a backward looking debate but.....) I hope the BG team does a good job with all three of the romances in BG2:EE and that with Dorn they don't have identical romances where they just switch the gender/race, etc. regardless of character, alignment, class, etc.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Honestly, with Dorn the questions I most want to see addressed are those of alignment difference, since that would appear to be the sticking point. Of all the variables that one seems like the one that should get the most attention. I don't really think Dorn gives much a crap about sex or race, but he does like being an evil bastard.
  • DarrylsonDarrylson Member Posts: 87

Isn't Imoen lesbian in the novels?

From what I've heard Phaere forces Imoen into a sexual encounter and Imoen goes "hey, that was fun, I'm going to do that from now on."

I've never read them though so I may be wrong.

Honestly, with Dorn the questions I most want to see addressed are those of alignment difference, since that would appear to be the sticking point. Of all the variables that one seems like the one that should get the most attention. I don't really think Dorn gives much a crap about sex or race, but he does like being an evil bastard.

I hope to god they don't make him "redeemable" or something, we have enough of that already, I want to corrupt Rasaad.
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    edited March 2013
    Darrylson said:

I hope to god they don't make him "redeemable" or something, we have enough of that already, I want to corrupt Rasaad.
    I can't really see Dorn being redeemable either. He's not evil for any explainable reason. He's not insane, didn't have some sort of childhood trauma, or any kind of this-is-why-I'm-evil excuse I can think of... He's just a big evil jerk ;) A big evil, deep voiced, broad shouldered, greatsword swinging jerk.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I do find it a bit problematic that Dorn has no restrictions at all. It can add to the personality who an NPC will romance, for example Aerie going for gnomes due her backstory (and hence being the only option for any shorty race) or Viconia, unlike all others, not going for elves. Dorn doesn't seem to be the "anything that moves" guy; he has trust issues and would certainly have some sort of "ideal mate" in his mind.

I find it too cheap to give Dorn absolutely no requirements and then point at him whenever someone asks for shorty/non-elf-caster/gay/whatever romance options. A single NPC shouldn't make up for ALL deficits.
  • I do find it a bit problematic that Dorn has no restrictions at all. It can add to the personality who an NPC will romance, for example Aerie going for gnomes due her backstory (and hence being the only option for any shorty race) or Viconia, unlike all others, not going for elves. Dorn doesn't seem to be the "anything that moves" guy; he has trust issues and would certainly have some sort of "ideal mate" in his mind.

I find it too cheap to give Dorn absolutely no requirements and then point at him whenever someone asks for shorty/non-elf-caster/gay/whatever romance options. A single NPC shouldn't make up for ALL deficits.

While I agree that restrictions can develop character, a distinct lack of restrictions can also characterize, especially when the default assumption is that there will be some. It's still not clear, from my experience with BGEE, where Dorn's sexuality lies, but if he is attracted to power beyond considerations of race or gender, that definitely sets him apart from other romantic interests who are more...discriminating. After all, Viconia likes power, but that's not enough to make her sexually interested in an Elf or Dwarf or woman.

Come to think of it, I can't think of any reference made in his dialogs to made advances on men or being attracted to them, so he may not be bisexual so much as "straight, with one exception" (which is a thing that happens).
    Alternatively I think it would be interesting if Dorn could corrupt Charname, ie at a certain point in the romance you have to commit an act that makes your character evil (probably NE like the Hell Trials) in order to continue to the romance. The only thing that springs to mind immediately is perhaps making a pact with Ur-Gothoz where he grants you power or assistance of some kind in exchange for some kind of Divine help when you ascend (actually choosing to ascend in TOB would still be up to the player and could have an impact on Dorn's epilogue.) That's just an idea though and wouldn't have to be the case.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited March 2013
    @Kaigen - I'd agree if it was actually linked to stats. But I can make a gimped charname with minimum stats and Dorn still goes for that weak fool. As I said in another topic, I'd prefer if all relationships - romance, friendship, rivalry (oh if only...) - would use certain stats or traits instead of race and gender.

And from a technical viewpoint, I can see it become somewhat annoying or at least boring that Dorn will deliver the same speeches to every charname ever. I'd even prefer a randomized chance that a romance dialogue triggers, for all romancable NPCs, regarding all charnames. This immediately solves all requests for shorty - gay/lesbian - younameit romances, and makes things a lot more interesting than knowing who will hit on which charname.