Skip to content

BG:EE for the Windows 8 Surface RT tablets

kunjal29kunjal29 Member Posts: 26
edited July 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
I know the game will work on the Surface Pro tablets since those are Intel x86 based tablets. Will there be a version for the RT tablets as well? Will both versions have full touch and gesture compatability similar to the Ipad versions?

Comments

• powerfulallypowerfulally Member Posts: 261
    edited July 2012
    @kunjal29 No, windows RT won't be able to run bgee. It's not about architecture so much as for the support of OpenGL. That's at least for now.
  • starkostarko Member Posts: 7
    Yup, WinRT does not suport OpenGL. It would require to rewrite engine on DirectX.
    I think @TrentOster twitted, they may suport it later, but I can't find this post.
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    Windows tablet support is a "lets wait and see" issue right now. If they take off, we'll look into it.
  • kunjal29kunjal29 Member Posts: 26
    I hadn't realised that BG:EE is based on an OpenGL engine. I always thought it was a DirectX engine for the PC crowd and OpenGL for iOS/Android.

Makes sense though that it won't work on the new RT tablets. Somehow I doubt Microsoft is going to support OpenGL either since their long term plans seem to involve a 'walled garden' approach a la Apple.
  • SnowconeofdeathSnowconeofdeath Member Posts: 4
    I am totally ditching android and apple in favor of windows 8. going to get the surface pro and switch to a windows 8 phone when they come out. Microsoft is finally doing something right and its going to cost them a bunch of followers/loyalty from users, developers, and OEM's. I hope it doesn't crush them. BG:EE is gonna look sweet and it if i ever get time to play it
  • arnagatharnagath Member Posts: 3
    Well rewriting for directX shouldn't be to big of a workload. However i strongly doubt that they will be allowed to block developers that want to put java, openGL, openCL ect. The GPU's that are put inside that matchines will be supporting it. Its better to keep things openGL and keep it away from xbox and possible RT tablets so they open up their platforms. Companies are so backward orientated.
    I doubt Microsoft will open up WinRT to OpenGL or any other technology competing with DirectX on their tablets. Desktops are another matter altogether.

My personal belief is that with the way they are pushing the same OS (or subset thereof) onto the desktop, tablet and smartphone, they want to unify the development paradigm for games so that you can develop a Windows game and port it to XBox vNext, WinRT tablets, Windows Phone simply by recompiling it with minimal code changes. While they might not achieve this in the Windows 8 timeframe, they will achieve it by the time Windows 9 rolls out.

Whether we as consumers like this or not, game developers cannot ignore this as it exposes them to a huge market at minimal cost. In fact, if it had been possible to 'consolify' BG:EE to enable it to be played on the XBox 360, we would definitely have seen a XBox 360 version being released.
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    We've actually had a shocking number of requests for a PS3 version.
    @PhillipDaigle

Even though I do own a PS3, I would hope to see a Windows 8 tablet version before that since I cannot carry my PS3 around :)
  • Trisk3lionTrisk3lion Member Posts: 1
    I would love to see BG:EE on Windows RT or at least bring the touch improvments over from the IOS version to the x86 Win versions.

Thou it gotta be said that's it sad that Microsoft didnt implant OpenGL support in the Windows 8 releases.
  • bobsageekbobsageek Member Posts: 21
    Windows 8 supports OpenGL, Windows RT (Windows on ARM) currently does not.
  • MeteorheadMeteorhead Member Posts: 1
    I myself also don't like the idea of OpenGL not being supported on WinRT, and I would vote for open standards instead of closed APIs like DX, however...

I am seriously thinking of shifting from Win7 to something more productive in terms of managing private life and doing HPC OpenCL development. Strangely, Win8 along with WP8 seems like the best choice. People keep dising MS for their market ideas, but sadly there is really no competition. Since I really don't like iStuff, only competition could be Ubuntu on desktop and smartphone, but Ubuntu smartphone version is far being ready, or being usable. Win8/WP8 brings about a lot of cool stuff, and I intend to buy my first smartphone with WP8. I wouldn't buy a tablet, since no tablet has docking station fit with a strong enough GPU for proper HPC OpenCL development (not all applications scale down to embedded level graphics).

It would be real cool, if BGEE would run on it, and I could play the 2 hours of mass transit to work and back.
  • spaceghostspaceghost Member Posts: 1
    Just going to echo the requests for a Win8RT version. Would love to be able to play this on my Surface RT!
  • FalkiosFalkios Member Posts: 9
    I have ASUS Vivo Tab TF600TG-1B110R 3G with Windows RT, too.
    Link: http://www.asustore.it/tablet_asus_vivo_tab_tf600tg1b110r_3g__tastiera/903-p.php

When will I be able to play to this game from my tablet?

Thanks!
    Francesco