Skip to content

[Classes\Kits Request] Tweak Assassin Kit

AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
(Reddit request by HeroicSpur)

I know there is a case for saying assassin's are fairly decent in very specific circumstances, but it just seems to be to be completely off that they can only have 1 proficiency point in a weapon. Thieves are hardly great at hitting in melee, and it seems this class is just substantially outweighed by a fighter/thief or swashbuckler.

An assassin is a pure backstabber, able to deliver a lethal blow, and for that reason I feel they should be able to gain mastery (3 points), in short swords and daggers. Seeing as single weapon style has no real value compared to dual-wielding, they could also have 2 points in single-weapon style (it also fits in with the character of an assassin).

Simply put I think being limited to 1 proficiency point is too off-putting for an assassin.
Post edited by Anton on
Zymran86tenaOxford_Guy

Comments

• AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Comments from Reddit:

[–]williamimm 5 points 1 month ago
    A good place to start would be aVENGER's version of the kit from Rogue Rebalancing. While it could use some tweaking to be better in the BG1 portion of the game, it is very good for the BG2 part of the game.
    RR is at http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/320-rogue-rebalancing-v447-windows-version/.
    Some of the suggested stuff for the RR kit is buffing the Poison abilitiy slightly, higher backstab at lower levels, possibly starting at 2x backstab.

[–]riklaunim 1 point 2 months ago
    Even with 5* points it wouldn't change much. THAC0/DMG bonus over levels would be better?

[–]HeroicSpur[S] 1 point 2 months ago
    I agree. However one would expect an assassin to be an expert with his weapon, certainly more competent than a wizard.

[–]Gilthas 1 point 1 month ago
    I don't think I would agree with Assasin's getting a DMG bonus like Archer's, Kensai's and Swashbucklers. For better or for worse they specialize in Backstabs (which already gives you a substantial damage increase) not in general melee combat like a Swashbuckler.
    But a THAC0 bonus should be a must. Kind of stupid that a Thief specializing in Backstabs has a harder time landing them than a Stalker.
    Zymran86
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    The Rogue Rebalancing version of the Assassin is pretty awesome AND consistent with P&P (which, from where I'm standing, is always a welcome plus).
    Alcofribius
  • ConphantusConphantus Member Posts: 51
    I don't know how that'd agree with AD&D rules, but I'd rather see the assassin as a seperate class, than tweaking the existing kit.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    If a rule compliant alteration could be made to them, that would be the ideal scenario as Andrea says.
    AndreaColombo
  • cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322
    The assassins main weapon is backstab as we all know. My main issue with this is that backstab eventually becomes useless. I would rather see traps toned down some and at the same time remove the amount of backstab-immune opponents. Maybe allow assassins, and assassins only, have the ability to backstab ANYONE, bosses included. But maybe only allow half backstab damage against typically immune opponents. That would make the kit reallly unique and worth playing.
    trinittena
  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110
    The item revisions mod at G3 is considering allowing backstab with a ranged weapon with, a suitable penalty to hit darts 0, short bow -1 etc, which made me consider playing an assassin for the first time, a sharpshooter with poisoned weapons appealed to me
    AntonConphantus