Skip to content

Planescape Torment is true after all!

trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
edited April 2013 in Off-Topic
i was just reading this article and it suddenly occured to me: if we presume this is true, science actually confirms one of the basic premises of planescape torment-> belief shapes reality.

now that is the universe i feel much more at ease with.
what do you think?

edit: article is a wall of text so beware if you have no patience. secondly, the article is not religious, spiritual or philosophical in nature (although implications might be there), so no propaganda/spam/whatever. ok? thnx. :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    WHAT CAN CHANGE THE NATURE OF A MAN?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681

A yellow shirt.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Jalily said:

A yellow shirt.
    Or a red shirt if we're talking star trek, eh?
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    very interesting article. thanks for sharing. not sure how i feel about it at the moment. gonna have to think about it.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    It's a pretty theory but there are lots of peculiar theories in theoretical metaphysics. Only a few of them will end up standing up to observation and scientific evidence.
  • KukarachaKukaracha Member Posts: 256
    Wait, but metaphysics are by definition outside of the scientific scope.
  • LythunylLythunyl Member Posts: 30
    Skimmed it somewhat, but read something similar earlier. Sounds to me like a biologist who read some intro QM books and thinks he can make a contribution where physicists who've spent years studying this material cannot. There's no observations, nor even a starting point for a mathematical theory that could possibly make predictions, and even on a metaphysical level, the idea that the universe revolves around us was discarded by Galileo a while back.

Also, I'm very suspicious of anyone who steps to the media / makes pop-sci books first rather than publishing on arxiv or wherever.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

Many things:Love, hate, sadness, anger, torment.

• TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Then I can see someone make somebody out of existence by proving he didn't exist.
    Cool.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited April 2013
    I find science nowadays to be overrated.. I mean, have you seen the documentaries? I also find it bit strange how people seem to have just discovered Idealism; it's been there for a while, you know, "esse est percipi" and all that. They either never read Plato, German Idealism and Age of Enlightenment etc, or they don't feel like naming them. Sometimes it really feels like no idea is original.

And, feels like 'science' is ignoring the greatest enigma of our lives. Dak'kon knows it, it's what the author of that article calls "consciousness". You might want to call it - Man.

Now, back to Kant I'd like to recommend a reading - http://hiperconsistent.wordpress.com/tag/eminescu/

Edit: As for what Galileo discarded or not - "Up to now it has been assumed that all our cognition must conform to the objects; but all attempts to find out something about them a priori through concepts that would extend our cognition have, on this presupposition, come to nothing. Hence let us once try whether we do not get farther with the problems of metaphysics by assuming that the objects must conform to our cognition, which would agree better with the requested possibility of an a priori cognition of them, which is to establish something about objects before they are given to us." - it might be worth a try.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited April 2013
    When you think about negative or dark matter how is not anything possible. Maybe we the humans have absolutely no clue, not a little bit of knowledge about what is really going on out there. The earth is in regards to the size of the universe which has no actuall size just a nano nano particle so why should it be different to our knowledge. I can imagine that anything a mind can summon it somehow exists somewhere. Like a connection between everything and anything in the universe and so your thoughts and visions are not generated from yourself but preexistent in everything due to whatever that force of connection is....

I think that religion has caused a lot of bad influence to the open minds we naturally have as humans and that the modern civilisation keeps us jailed in man made things of all kinds;)