Skip to content

Bug? Balduran's Log Book / Candlekeep Library

HeadbombHeadbomb Member Posts: 213
edited December 2012 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.2)
If this isn't a bug, please move it to FR or some other appropriate place (mod idea/request?)

The Candlekeep Libary requires visitors to bring rare books of high values. This is mentionned in the game several times, and the Sword Coast Survival Guide specifically mentions

"Those wishing to examine any writing in the Keep’s library must gift Candlekeep with a new tome of no less than 10,000 gp in value."

Now Balduran's Log Book is a unique book of extremely high historical value, being the last writings of the famed Balduran, and it's value is 10,000gp. Logicaly, bringing this book to Candlekeep should be enough to grant you access. Except when you get there, the guard stubbornly refuses you entry, claiming that you need to bring a unique high value book to the Library.

Expected behaviour:
Bringing Balduran's Log Book to the Candlekeep Library should grant you a [one-time?] access to Candlekeep.

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Actually, the Keeper only checks to see that it's Chapter 6. You can drop your History of the Nether Scrolls on the ground, and he'll still let you in. That last part could qualify as a bug (though a harmless one since the History is only sellable for 1 gp, and has been reported), but not letting the player return before Chapter 6 is definitely intentional.

As much as I would love an alternative to cooperating with Duke Eltan, the most likely fix for this issue would be reducing the value of the book.
  • HeadbombHeadbomb Member Posts: 213
    edited December 2012
    Actually I got back there in Chapter 7, well after the assasination and all the kurfuffle. I wasn't thinking about it as an alternative to the History of the Nether Scrolls, but just as another way to get in whenever you wanted / after the assasination. But it would be neat to have it as an alternative to the History of the Nether Scrolls.
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    One possible solution could be to make it an acceptable alternative but to not allow the werewolf quest until after chapter 5. But that would be a lot of work for a minor plothole.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited December 2012
    [Ops]
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Actually i would like the idea of an evil party be able to give sequence to the game main quest without having to cooperate with duke Eltan. Maybe after you meet the duke, by agreeing or not in work for him the game should go to chapter 6, the gatekeeper should be fixed to only grant access to a party with an proper book and in chapter 6 either the History of the Nether Scrolls or Balduran's log book should be enough to enter Candlekeep.

The game will still force the main party in contact the Duke Eltan, the only difference is that we can refuse work with him and no big change on main quest will happen.